Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 Days to My Banding!!

Hello from Louisiana. Been looking at lapband for about 2 years - finally got the nickels and dimes together. I'm scheduled March 9 - Can't wait!!

I'll probably have a lot of questions, so...

Ask away!!! We are here to support and help in any way we can to ease your mind. The 9th will be here soon!!! Congratulations!!!

Welcome to LBT!!

Kat

It isn't "easy" but when you reach a good point of restriction, and get used to your new lifestyle---it is pretty smooth sailing. I noticed we are the same age---and I think as we get older our metabolism takes a dive---I used to be able to lose weight easy---as I aged, not so easy!!! I had a total of about 120- 130 pounds to lose. I have got rid of the first 86---and the going is much slower now. I have begun exercising MUCH more---and we have even started a light free weight lifting program to tone up. So I may be gaining some muscle as opposed to fat (which I still seem to have plenty of!!). My body fat ratio numbers, and over all inches lost are coming down even though the scale is sitting tight. and I really am not insistant that I acheive that particular goal weight---I want to feel good about how I look. the scale is something just the Dr. and I will see, it is inconsequential in the end---it is just a goal to work towards.

Where are you having your surgery done?

Have you got a pre-op diet?

Kat

I'm going to Mexico. There are several around here that have gone to this doctor over the last 2 years, and they have all been very pleased. My coordinator told me to go "no salt" as far as possible and to drink lots and lots of Water for the next 9 days. They had a few other guidlelines, but really stressed those two points. Do you have any good suggestions?

I too went to Mexico to a Dr. that banded a couple of friends. I had an excellent experience, and have referred another 2 since!

I was put on a high Protein, no/low carb, diet for 10 days prior. Similar to Atkins---which was easy for me to do, I lost weight good with Atkins---I just gained it all back when I quit. I lost 8 pounds or so prior to surgery...it also had the benefit of getting over the carb cravings prior to surgery. I used the time to taste test several Protein Shakes, and drinks.< /strong>

I am sure you know the purpose of the pre op, as well as the Water flush is to help manuever around the liver...so you need to go easy on the "Last Supper" syndrome!!

Are you flying to Mexico? I flew home on the 3rd day, it was a combined day of 5 hours in the air, and another 5 by car. I took one dose of liquid Tylenol (get some to have on hand prior to surgery), for a headache. I was exhausted when I got home, but survived it!!

Kat

They gave me a list of things I should take - Liquid Tylenol, Gas-X, etc. I'm gonna follow their advice. These people have taken 12-15 people per month down there, for the last 2 years. They call the pre-op diet the "liver shrink" diet.

I think last night is going to be my "Last Supper". Actually, Mexican food is my favorite. I could eat Mex food everyday - our whole family loves it. That's going to be the thing I crave the most.

the schedule is to fly into San Diego about 9:30 am Friday , drive into Mexico and be at the hospital by 11:00am - surgery that afternoon if all tests are okay - spend one night in hospital, and one night in adjoining Grand Hotel - fly home Sunday afternoon.

I too flew into San Diego---and then we drove (they drove, they picked us up at the airport) to Mexicali.

OK, let's see, besides the things they told you to bring, my advice would be to pack lightly--you will be lugging the suitcase on the return trip, if you have any flight changes, and you don't need to be lifting. Oh yeah---not sure if this will apply to you, but it was something my vanity stressed over!! I was given this hint, and it worked like a charm! As you board, and the attendent is welcoming you aboard, ask for a seatbelt extender (especially on the return so it is not tight), she will reach right behind her left shoulder and hand it to you. Now the people already aboard, are busy settling in, and those behind you have no idea what you are doing. IF you wait until you are seated, they will have to go back and get it at the front of the plane and walk it back and hand it over in full view of everyone sitting there just waiting to take off. It is simple embarassment free if you ask right away! Also on the return trip, grab a pillow as you make your way to your seat, you might need the padding between you and any incisions. I didn't need it on the plane, the lap belt was fine, but in the car, the shoulder belt hurt and I used my pilfered airline pillow!!

Oh yeah---wear slip on shoes, if possible...they make you remove them when going through security, and bending to tie them afterwards is not pleasant for a few days.

Before you go, in the next few days, start a journal of weight, and measurements. Measure your neck, to your ankles. Write them down, and then enlist the wife to take some pictures. Stand in front of something permanent...I used the door. Take front, side and back pictures. You will hate them! I was pissed at even having to do them, and it shows!!! BUT now I have something concrete to look back on! It is so shocking! I have about 2 inches to go, and I will be able to take a picture of me standing in the leg of my old jeans!!! I have probably lost another little bit, inch wise, it adds up, and feel so incredible!!! I work out at Curves and was put on the 4 foot wall a month ago---meaning I had lost over 48 inches. A friend just made the 5 foot wall, she is now down 61"!!! I began this in a size 22/24 pants, and now wear a size 14, 9 months later. I didn't change this drastically when giving birth in 9 months!!!

Hang in there!!!

Kat

Hi buckwheat and congratulations on your decision to get banded! March 9th will be here before you know it. I was banded 1 month ago and am so happy that I did it. I am down 28lbs so far and feel great. Best of luck to you. We'll be waiting to hear how you do! Gigi

Thanks, Gigi. I'm excited, but still can make use of all the encouragement I've received. we have been reading all the info about the diet after surgery, and my wife is wondering "What can I feed you?". All the don'ts!!

Any suggestions from anyone about liquids and stuff for before you go to solid food? :(

I am still on liquids/soft/mushies. I usually have my Protein Shake for Breakfast, then have some cottage cheese and/or a yogurt, then have some Soup for dinner. Every doctor has their patients follow their own guide. Some advance quicker than others. My doctor is definetly more on the slow side which is fine with me.