Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Plication Surgery Abroad

Plication abroad(specifically mexico) & your experience.  

7 members have voted

1. 1. To those who went abroad for surgery: If you could do it again would you go abroad?

• I went abroad and would do it all over again
    • I went abroad and I would think twice before doing it again
    • I went abroad and I would never do it again
    • I went abroad for my WLS then again for a revision or reconstructive surgery.

I was just sleeved July 4, 2011 by dr. Ponce de leon and Dr. Frayre in Tijuana.< /p>

The whole experience was good. The hospital was spotless and there was so much staff around all the time accept at night there would only be 2 nurses but that was for about 6 patients. I was picked up at the airport and I flew from Canada to San Diego. I spent 2 days in the hospital and 1 at a beautiful recovery house in a gated community. It was just gorgeous.

Then you are driven back to the airport with a medical pass so you do not have to sit in the border traffic as long.

I was going to do the plication, but so many people have done the sleeve and the success rate is good so at the last minute I went with the sleeve.

Most everyone spoke english accept a few nurses but I took a list of questions in spanish and I would just point to the one I wanted...lol

Dr. Frayre speaks english and really cares about the patients, I would highly recommend him.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Darlis

Wowzers, that's a lot of bruising. Mine was about a 10th of that.

I had the Plication done last Thursday July 14th at Angelas Hospital in Tijuana. Dr. Corvola did the surgery. It really wasn't scary going through the border and we actually did walk around some.

I guess it is to soon to say what the outcome is. I have lost 7 lbs so far. The hospital is nice, modern and amazingly clean. My back story is I am 42, female, with type 2 diabetes that so far has not been controlled by diet or meds. I am 60 lbs. overweight. My Insurance wouldn't cover it because I am not at least 100 lbs over. But I understand many insurance companies are getting on board with coverage if your BMI is high and you have a co-exsisting medical condition.

There were enough nurses/ coordinaters that spoke english that communication was not to much of a problem. They do things slightly different then in the states like crushing your meds and giving them to you to take. Yuck. I asked for the whole pill. And they don't keep hand towels or paper towels in the bathroom no matter how many times you ask....to name a few. Mostly minor issues.

When I woke up from the surgery I wasn't in alot of pain but rather extremely uncomfortable. Pressure and raw feeling in the stomach. I had to fast from the night before and until Friday, the day after. That was HARD. I did have some Ice chips. On Friday I started my week of clearliquids which is just ending. I had chicken broth, chicken broth oh, and more chicken broth. I tried to keep my determination up by reminding myself it was only for a week. I haven't exactly felt the greatest anyway. Today has been my best day so far. I tried some cream of wheat and it didn't cause me any problems.

Here's where I am at tonight: My stomach looks like I got badly beat. I am going to attach a picture. Don't get to freaked out. Ok, I am a little- but I emailed this picture to the Dr. and am waiting to hear if it is a BIG Concern.post-203703-13813131220711_thumb.jpg

HOLY crappola! That looks like it REALLY hurts!!! Are you an easy bruiser or is that normal???

I decided to go with the sleeve, but please do keep me posted on everything. That bruise is like.... WOW!! Kudos for the courage to post it BTW ;)

It finally looks like it is starting to improve today. Also, I spoke with the Dr. and was told that it is normal to have bruising because there is a lot of movement during the surgery. And they give you blood thinners for a few days. WHEW! So I feel relieved on both counts! Had a small portion of Cream of Wheat for Breakfast and feel fine. Oh- and lot's off coffee.

The most interesting and important thing to me and I forgot to mention yesterday is that my Blood Sugar has been completely normal since the surgery. Might be due to a clear liquid diet so I will see as I add different foods. I would jump up and down if I could!

I had a tiny bruise about the size of a quarter near my biggest incision. I have seen a few pics/vids with some bruising, but that is a lot. Please let us know what the doc says. I'm sure everything is ok...maybe you just bruise easier than most? Take care!

It finally looks like it is starting to improve today. Also, I spoke with the Dr. and was told that it is normal to have bruising because there is a lot of movement during the surgery. And they give you blood thinners for a few days. WHEW! So I feel relieved on both counts! Had a small portion of Cream of Wheat for Breakfast and feel fine. Oh- and lot's off coffee.

The most interesting and important thing to me and I forgot to mention yesterday is that my Blood Sugar has been completely normal since the surgery. Might be due to a clear liquid diet so I will see as I add different foods. I would jump up and down if I could!

You feeling any better?

post-203805-13813131221193_thumb.jpg post-203805-13813131221193_thumb.jpg post-203805-13813131221193_thumb.jpg post-203805-13813131221193_thumb.jpg

Hello, My name is Kristie, I am 28 and I am considering a GSP through OCC in Tijuana Mexico. The prospect of surgery alone is both terrifying and exhilarating( because, god-willing, I will finally have a shot at the life I have dreamed of for so long). I settled on the sleeve because it seems to be the safest option for me, because there is no cutting, no rearranging (or removal of a portion) of my intestines, no chance of leaks, dumping syndrome as with bypass or slippage as with the band. The idea of permanently removing a portion of my stomach kinda gives me the willies, I am not at all comfortable with that idea. I considered it for about a day because of the speedier weight loss and such but couldn't MAKE myself be okay with idea of cutting up my stomach. The one semi-major downfall I have read about it is that the thing that produces grehlin remains intact so you still feel hungry. I had an experience like what I imagine the person posting that went through when I was pregnant. I was hungry constantly and even if I did manage to get satiated within and hour I was hungry again... I don't know how I feel about reliving that since I hated it so much the first time around, and this time I may deal with it for the rest of my life. On the flip side I don't generally eat unless I feel hungry, so maybe its a good thing, I am not really sure.

My reason for posting today is to get some feedback on having the surgery abroad. I will probably never be able to afford it in the US since my insurance won't touch it and my credit is non-existent, so I feel like surgery abroad is my only real option. My family thinks I am insane, and sometime I wonder myself, but I see it as my only option. Can you please fill me in on your experiences? The more detailed the better. How long where you gone? What happened when you got there? Was the staff professional and knowledgeable? What happened after surgery? Would you do it again? If not, is that because of the facility or the procedure itself? If you believe it was the procedure do you believe you would have had better outcome in the states?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: Oop's I think I put this in the wrong place. Sorry!! Feel free to move it if you can.

post-7611-13813845292114_thumb.jpg post-7611-13813845292114_thumb.jpg post-7611-13813845292114_thumb.jpg post-7611-13813845292114_thumb.jpg

Hello, My name is Kristie, I am 28 and I am considering a GSP through OCC in Tijuana Mexico. The prospect of surgery alone is both terrifying and exhilarating( because, god-willing, I will finally have a shot at the life I have dreamed of for so long). I settled on the sleeve because it seems to be the safest option for me, because there is no cutting, no rearranging (or removal of a portion) of my intestines, no chance of leaks, dumping syndrome as with bypass or slippage as with the band. The idea of permanently removing a portion of my stomach kinda gives me the willies, I am not at all comfortable with that idea. I considered it for about a day because of the speedier weight loss and such but couldn't MAKE myself be okay with idea of cutting up my stomach. The one semi-major downfall I have read about it is that the thing that produces grehlin remains intact so you still feel hungry. I had an experience like what I imagine the person posting that went through when I was pregnant. I was hungry constantly and even if I did manage to get satiated within and hour I was hungry again... I don't know how I feel about reliving that since I hated it so much the first time around, and this time I may deal with it for the rest of my life. On the flip side I don't generally eat unless I feel hungry, so maybe its a good thing, I am not really sure.

My reason for posting today is to get some feedback on having the surgery abroad. I will probably never be able to afford it in the US since my insurance won't touch it and my credit is non-existent, so I feel like surgery abroad is my only real option. My family thinks I am insane, and sometime I wonder myself, but I see it as my only option. Can you please fill me in on your experiences? The more detailed the better. How long where you gone? What happened when you got there? Was the staff professional and knowledgeable? What happened after surgery? Would you do it again? If not, is that because of the facility or the procedure itself? If you believe it was the procedure do you believe you would have had better outcome in the states?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: Oop's I think I put this in the wrong place. Sorry!! Feel free to move it if you can.

Hi Kristie, I had the gastric sleeve on July 4, 2011. I flew to Tijuana on the Monday and back home on the Thursday. I live in Vancouver, BC, and I was scared to death. I did a lot of research...

My doctor was dr. Ponce de leon and Dr. Frayre, they are 2 of the nicest caring people I have met. My whole experience was great. I am going to try and post some pics......

If you have any questions just ask away. The second pic is 119 days post-op.

Darlis

I had the gastric sleeve on July 4, 2011 with dr. Ponce de leon in Tijuana. Here is a before and 119 days after pic.

I did a lot of research and was scared to death also. Dr. Ponce and Dr. Frayre were 2 of the nicest caring people I have ever met and my experience was awesome. I live in Vancouver, BC, flew to San Diego on a Monday and back home on the Thursday. 14,000 miles later it is all just a memory.

Ask me anything you like.

Darlis

post-1794-1381384529229_thumb.jpg

post-1794-13813845297034_thumb.jpg

:mellow: You had the stomach CUT OFF after the sutures, correct? I opted for the PLICATION where it is sutured and not excised. I am getting mixed reviews..... UR pics are awesome. S

I was going to get the plication but changed my mind at the last minute (right before surgery) as there is so much more history on the sleeve. Yes they cut a large part of the stomach off, staple it, and then suture it also for extra protection. And there is years of history on this proedure, I was concerned about what would happen to the folded stomach after 10 years, does it just turn into a big piece of scar tissue? I don't know, so I went with this and I am verry happy with the results, no complications. Also, because they cut out a hormone that makes you feel hungry, I really never think too about food like I used to all the time. It is the weirdest and greatest feeling no to be slave to hunger pains. I eat because I know I have to now.

And whatever you do, do not do the lapband, alot of problems with that device.

Where do you live. Have you signed up for the plication already?

:huh: I am signed up at the OCC with DR Ortiz in MEX. I am in CA and have an easy time flying out of RENO NEVADA into San Diego. I can get a cheap flight. $132 home as it is one more day. I am dealing with the Patient advocate Carolyn and chatted with her this am. Researched flights and can get a great flight home on the 31st which is one Xtra day that is needed for the sleeve...... UGH. U only have to commit to one more day I am told.....

SUrgery set for 12/27/11...Had to get a passport and have a business and cannot leave till then....