Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My bypass is this Wed. My bed is upstairs. Will I be able to climb the steps or do I need to make a bed in my recliner downstairs? I am trying to get everything clean and in order while I am in the hospital so I do not have to worry about it when I get home.

My bypass is this Wed. My bed is upstairs. Will I be able to climb the steps or do I need to make a bed in my recliner downstairs? I am trying to get everything clean and in order while I am in the hospital so I do not have to worry about it when I get home.

I climbed a tall flight of stairs, albeit slowly, to get up to my condo. If you have an abdominal binder, you might want to wear it for the trip home to feel more supported. Some people find it more comfortable to sleep in a recliner at first since it is raised similar to a hospital bed, but that's a matter of preference. Being close to a bathroom is nice in case you need to get up during the night.

It's nice to have things tidy when you get home, but more important to be well rested for your surgery. Best wishes for your surgery and recovery!

I climbed a tall flight of stairs, albeit slowly, to get up to my condo. If you have an abdominal binder, you might want to wear it for the trip home to feel more supported. Some people find it more comfortable to sleep in a recliner at first since it is raised similar to a hospital bed, but that's a matter of preference. Being close to a bathroom is nice in case you need to get up during the night.

It's nice to have things tidy when you get home, but more important to be well rested for your surgery. Best wishes for your surgery and recovery!

This varies so much from person to person. I could have climbed stairs and I'd have done ANYTHING to be in my own bed but I see a lot of people on here that sleep in their recliners post-op....I wanted my bed, my pillows, my everything. I hated sleeping (or trying to) in that hospital bed and would have done anything shy of murder to get back in my own!!! You'll probably be okay but you might want a pillow and blanket downstairs just in case you're having a rough time.

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198

This varies so much from person to person. I could have climbed stairs and I'd have done ANYTHING to be in my own bed but I see a lot of people on here that sleep in their recliners post-op....I wanted my bed, my pillows, my everything. I hated sleeping (or trying to) in that hospital bed and would have done anything shy of murder to get back in my own!!! You'll probably be okay but you might want a pillow and blanket downstairs just in case you're having a rough time.

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198

I slept in a recliner for the first week post op just felt good couldn't handle my bed yet.

I slept in a recliner for the first week post op just felt good couldn't handle my bed yet.

I have an adjustable bed upstairs. I was able to climb the stairs yesterday on my first night home no problem. I've been up and down the stairs a few times today. Get plenty of pillows to prop yourself on, if you have a normal bed.

I have an adjustable bed upstairs. I was able to climb the stairs yesterday on my first night home no problem. I've been up and down the stairs a few times today. Get plenty of pillows to prop yourself on, if you have a normal bed.

This varies so much from person to person. I could have climbed stairs and I'd have done ANYTHING to be in my own bed but I see a lot of people on here that sleep in their recliners post-op....I wanted my bed' date=' my pillows, my everything. I hated sleeping (or trying to) in that hospital bed and would have done anything shy of murder to get back in my own!!! You'll probably be okay but you might want a pillow and blanket downstairs just in case you're having a rough time.

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198[/quote']

I slept in my own bed. My bed is high so I needed a step stool to get into it. My room is upstairs. My doctor lists stair climbing as a preferred activity. The only real physical restriction I had was lifting. Nothing heavier than ten pounds for several weeks.

This varies so much from person to person. I could have climbed stairs and I'd have done ANYTHING to be in my own bed but I see a lot of people on here that sleep in their recliners post-op....I wanted my bed' date=' my pillows, my everything. I hated sleeping (or trying to) in that hospital bed and would have done anything shy of murder to get back in my own!!! You'll probably be okay but you might want a pillow and blanket downstairs just in case you're having a rough time.

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198[/quote']

I slept in my own bed. My bed is high so I needed a step stool to get into it. My room is upstairs. My doctor lists stair climbing as a preferred activity. The only real physical restriction I had was lifting. Nothing heavier than ten pounds for several weeks.

This is good to hear. My bed is high also and I wondered about getting in it.

This is good to hear. My bed is high also and I wondered about getting in it.

I slept in a recliner for a while. It was easier to get up to use the bathroom.