Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st check-up 17-days Post-op

I had my first check-up today (10/03), I am only 17-days post-op from my Lap-band to RNY revision.

The doctor said everything looked great. I was cleared for the pool and taking baths.

However, my doctor does not push Protein shakes. He feels like you should eat your Protein and eventually you will get all of the protein you need from your food. I guess I didn't listen well, because I have been forcing down Protein Shakes.

The doctor only wants me to eat if I am hungry. He doesn't want me to eat just, because it might be Breakfast time or dinner time.

Does anyone else have a doctor giving them these guidelines for eating?

With all due respect, your doctor sounds like an idiot. Your body needs Protein to repair itself. How much WLS experience does he have? Is he part of a Bariatric Center of Excellence or is he a regular doctor who just does a few of these now without providing adequate follow up and support?

Every doctor has their own program (as you will see from reading the letters here) but yours is so far from the norm, it is very worrisome. I suggest you look at the guidelines published by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (the leading national organization of bariatric doctors) at asmbs.org and discuss these with your doctor. If he is not up to professional standards, try to find another doctor.

If I ate when I was hungry, I'd never eat! I am also supposed to get in 80 g Protein daily....never make it without shakes. Sounds goofy to me...really goofy.

If I ate when I was hungry' date=' I'd never eat! I am also supposed to get in 80 g Protein daily....never make it without shakes. Sounds goofy to me...really goofy.[/quote']

I agree! I have to eat..I'm not normally really hungry. My min in lower, 60g day but there is no way I would have reached that on regular food a few weeks post-op!

I had my first check-up today (10/03)' date=' I am only 17-days post-op from my Lap-band to RNY revision. The doctor said everything looked great. I was cleared for the pool and taking baths. However, my doctor does not push Protein Shakes. He feels like you should eat your Protein and eventually you will get all of the protein you need from your food. I guess I didn't listen well, because I have been forcing down protein shakes. The doctor only wants me to eat if I am hungry. He doesn't want me to eat just, because it might be Breakfast time or dinner time. Does anyone else have a doctor giving them these guidelines for eating?[/quote']

I am wondering if it is possible you have misunderstood your doctor. His ideas seen a little out there on what most docs say to do.

My doc wants me to get my protein from whole food choices first, if that is not possible then I am to use shakes and finally bars.

When I was 2 weeks post op my doc said Water was the most important at that stage. He was not as concerned with protein shakes, but as I moved past the second week I was expected to start getting protein in my system.

As far as the eating when you are hungry issue - I think when you are further down the road this idea could work. However early on you don't feel hunger like you used to. I also would guess he is mainly talking about grazing.

I would really ask your doctor for clarification on all these questions.

If I ate when I was hungry' date=' I'd never eat! I am also supposed to get in 80 g Protein daily....never make it without shakes. Sounds goofy to me...really goofy.[/quote']

Me too! I was told 3 meals and one snack and to never go longer than 4 hours without eating. In the early days, when it was difficult to eat much at one sitting, I was told six mini meals were acceptable, which I often did. I like Protein Shakes for breakfast - it's both Protein and Fluid which are important after a long night with neither. I log my food to track protein. By the end of the day if my protein level is a little low I bring it up with another shake. As stated, protein is VERY important for healing. Long periods w/o food can put your body into starvation mode and dramatically slow weight loss, as your body tries to hold on to the fat for survival.