Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I'm new and in Houston,TX...patient of Dr Spivak!

Hi everyone. Just want to introduce myself.

I'm a big fan of message boards from the days when I was low-carbing...when low carbing wasn't even cool yet! Anyway, I got lots of support and great ideas there so here I am looking for a new support group!

I am on the schedule for April 4th so in the meantime I'll be lurking around getting lots of questions answered, I'm sure. Thanks in advance to all of you for putting in the time, and especially to the moderators!!

I am self-paying and lucky enough to live in Houston where there is one of the finest bariatric surgeons in the country only few miles from my home! Dr. Spivak seems to be quite wonderful and I'm looking forward to working with him and his staff through this experience. I have 100% confidence in his ability and that is a huge load off my mind. Anyone out there who is a patient of his, I''d love to hear from you.

I "only" have 65 lbs to lose and realize this presents its own special set of challenges, so I'd be glad to hear from all of you low BMI'ers too!

I'll be seein' ya'll around!

I was banded by Dr. Spivak on Feb 5th. I have only wonderful things to say about him and his staff. I go for my first fill in just a few weeks. I requested Dr. Spivak for the first one and his staff accommodated me with no question. They are very supportive. I am self pay also. Get ready for the first couple of weeks. They can be a bit rough. This board has been a life saver for me. Wonderful people who know exactly what you are going through. Best of luck and hope to hear back from you.

Hi Kimmie! Thanks for the greeting. I am so happy to find more than a few patients of Dr. Spivak's here. Your experience will be so helpful to me and I look forward to staying in touch, if you don't mind. Thanks a lot!!!

So, are you feeling better now?

TerriDoddle - oh please feel free to keep in touch! Would be great. I will be happy to share my experiences. Hopefully there is something I went through which might be beneficial to share. I still have not found a support group yet. There is one that meets at Central Market (some upstairs meeting room) once a month. I did notice Dr. Spivak had one coming up, but Tuesday nights are no good for me. So I am still searching. My biggest lesson learned... I did not plan as well for my recovery as I should have. I have two small children (5 yrs & 1 yr) and I did not allow adequate time to recover. Returned to work too soon. Only took one week off, really should have taken two or at least returned part time when I did. First two weeks were rough. Trying to deal with being in pain, becoming bored with broth (LOL!), and trying to keep up with my kids. I would say about day 10-12 is when I turned the corner. But with that said, I would do it all over again - no questions. But I would have structured my first two weeks differently. I started at 224, weighed 218 day of surgery and I was at 208 last week. So I am thrilled! Takes discipline and thought. The band is an awesome tool, but it is a tool. Unfortunately not a magic wand. Now that I am on mushies and chucky foods, it will be up to me to make better choices. I noticed I did so many things by habit or eating to eat. Not necessarily for hunger or the best nutritional value. I now analyze EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth. I know this seems so basic. But I guess I really didn't understand all the bad food choices I was making. I am doing well and learning to love my little bandy. My first fill is scheduled for the 15th. So we will see how that goes. Best of luck to you. And please feel free to ask me anything. All inquires are welcome. Kind regards, Kim

Can't wait to watch your progress!! I'm sure it will all get easier with each passing day. I'm starting to get pretty anxious to get this show on the road. I'm so glad I don't have to wait 6-8 months...I don't think I could stand it! Patience is not my strong suit. :phanvan What part of town do you live in?

I am getting banded by Dr. Spivak on the 12th of March. I really loved him and his staff.

I am self pay also and excited to get the show on the road.

Hi Hazelbunny! Hope to see you back again post op. I have my first fill on the 15th. Would be great to see how you are doing after the surgery. And I will be happy to let you know how my first fill goes. Where are you having your surgery? Park Plaza or Surgical Center? I had mine at the Surgical Center and went very smooth. The staff was awesome! My mom took me there/brought me home (dear hubby was with our children). Dr. Spivak came to see me once I was back getting prep'd. Then after the surgery he went out and talked to my Mom for a few minutes. My Mom was very impressed with him (this is a high compliment because my Mom is not a fan of doctors). I hope you have an equally pleasing experience. Sending you happy vibes for you and your soon to be "bandy". Take care. Kim

Enterprise01 - how are you? Haven't heard from you in a while. Things going ok?

Hey, Kimmie -- I'm doing all right but am getting discouraged by the lack of weight loss. I'm being very careful with my eating and staying between 900-1100 calories a day, but the scale is not budging. I need to start exercising, but I work 10-12 hour days and then spend an hour every night giving sub-q fluids to my geriatric cat with kidney disease. How is it that 3 months ago I was eating more than 3000 calories a day and slowly gaining weight, but at 1000 calories I'm not losing a thing? It just doesn't make sense. I'm going back to Dr. Spivak next week for another fill. Maybe I just need to cut my calories down even further. Ugh. How's your weight loss coming along?

My weight loss is slow, but doing ok. I haven't weighed since last Friday and won't until later this weekend. As a female, there is a 'particular time of the month' I refuse to weigh in....sorry if that is TMI. Anyway. On day of surgery I weighed 218 and at the 3.5 week mark I was 208. It is only ten pounds, but trust me I was thrilled. I even did a little celebatory dance at the scale. At least it is ten pounds in the right direction. I am finally feeling back up to speed. The recovery was a bit more than I anticipated. So I now know it is time I must implement (yes, I am afraid I must type the word) - EXERCISE. I am career oriented as well, so work lots of hours, then have to tend to my two young children when I get home. The trick is definitely going to be finding the time. I know it is possible, people do it everyday. But I just have to figure out when. Do you keep a food journal? I have started that and will try to maintain that. I have been told it is a great tool to get on track. How is your restriction? Do you feel you need another fill to help more?

My weight loss is slow, but doing ok. I haven't weighed since last Friday and won't until later this weekend. As a female, there is a 'particular time of the month' I refuse to weigh in....sorry if that is TMI. Anyway. On day of surgery I weighed 218 and at the 3.5 week mark I was 208. It is only ten pounds, but trust me I was thrilled. I even did a little celebatory dance at the scale. At least it is ten pounds in the right direction. I am finally feeling back up to speed. The recovery was a bit more than I anticipated. So I now know it is time I must implement (yes, I am afraid I must type the word) - EXERCISE. I am career oriented as well, so work lots of hours, then have to tend to my two young children when I get home. The trick is definitely going to be finding the time. I know it is possible, people do it everyday. But I just have to figure out when. Do you keep a food journal? I have started that and will try to maintain that. I have been told it is a great tool to get on track. How is your restriction? Do you feel you need another fill to help more?

Yes, I also have a 10 day span when I'm terrified to weigh myself for the same reason as you. Damn PMS. I was at 218 according to Dr. Spivak's office scale one week before surgery. According to the hospital scale, I was at 212 on the day of surgery. At my first fill exactly 4 weeks post-op, the scale at the fill center said I was at 203, so I'm counting my weight loss as 15 lbs. My scale at home has only gone down about 1 lb since my fill 2 weeks ago. I don't seem to have any restriction. I can even swallow large pills and they go right down. I'm not keeping a food journal but do keep track in my head every day. I eat Nutrisystem meals for Breakfast and lunch, and then dinner is always meat and vegetables. Every meal is under 300 calories and I allow one snack a day of less than 100 calories. It might be a good idea to write it down as a way to double check myself. Evenings are the worst for me. dinner is usually around 8:00 pm, but I don't go to bed until 1:00 or 2:00 a.m., so I'm ravenous by midnight. Let's hope another fill helps.

And ditto on the recovery. This surgery knocked me on my ass. I wasn't feeling anywhere close to normal until week 4.

When are you scheduled for a fill? Are you going to attend any of the support group meetings at Dr. Spivak's office? The first one is only a couple of weeks away.

TerriDoodle,

I am scheduled for survery with Dr. Spivak on April 4th too! Maybe I'll see you in the waiting room. :) I am so nervous about the actual surgey but excited about getting my life back on track. Thanks for posting your poll. Those types of positive influences are keeping my nerves at bay. :clap2:

enterprise - is it possible that you are not eating enough calories? I feel like I'm preaching to the choir on this board, but just in case.... maybe your body is in starvation mode. It may be worth experimenting with loading up on calories at least once per week (like to 2000-2400).

shine on - hey! thanks for posting. That is so cool that we're scheduled for the same day....surely we'll run into each other. If not, we need to make a point of it! What part of town do you live in? Im on the NW side near Barker Cypress & 290. That poll was interesting, don't you think? I have not really heard anything too discouraging about the band and I am SO ready to go. If it weren't for my work schedule I'd be in there tomorrow getting this ball rolling! I just want to lose this weight. I'm SO sick of BEING FAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :scared: :scared:

Hi all,

No i was not banded by Spivak, but I live in Houston and too have wanted to find a support group here. I live near IAH/59 N and beltway. I was banded in june and have lost a little over 50lbs. You all are very lucky to be able to eat- I have not been able to eat "real" food before 4pm on most days. Due to stress my stomach tightens up and I really have to listen to my body and eat when I can. Ex: today is the first time I have been able to eat the meat of a $1 cheeseburger from Mc d's. Do ireally need that, no, but do I miss it- yes. Junk food does go down easier than what you need so you really have to be careful. Also check out unjury.com for protein- really good and I drink it daily! If I can help with anything please let me know. Good luck and you wont regret it. I was also a self pay and it hurt the pocket book, but I was sick of being fat. I still have 70lbs to go, but I didnt gain it in one year and need to take my time. This is not a cakewalk and this takes major adjusting. You learn how much of obesity is mental and you learn quickly that when stress is around you can't eat and it is hard!!! Good luck!:nervous