Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

severe abdominal pain

Hi, I was banded in 2003 and currently have all the saline removed from my band. I have been having episodes of severe abdominal pain for the past 1 1/2 years. I usually get an attack every 2-4 weeks, but when I get them the pain is so severe that I can barely move. The only things that provide any relief to me are lying on my right side in a fetal position and bending over if walking or sitting. If I try to lie on my left side or stand up completely -- the pain is excrutiating. The pain usually lasts for about 12 hrs -- and always EVENTUALLY goes away.

In addition, my lipase level has been mildly elevated for the past few years. I am a med tech in the lab -- so I frequently monitor my levels. I never had an elevated lipase until after my lapband surgery. Since then, it is almost always elevated - although not to a huge degree. (Our normal range goes up to 264 -- and my lipase usually runs between 300-475). I wouldn't think that it was significant except for the fact that I keep getting these horrible pains.

I am wondering if anyone else has had any similar experiences. I am getting very frustrated because my dr. can't seem to figure out what's wrong with me -- and always just goes back to --- "it must be that band -- I think that you have to get it out!" Has anyone heard of the band causing this sort of problem?? Is there anyway that the tubing from the port could be irratating my pancreas?? Has anyone heard of the band causing elevated lipase levels?

I am getting desperate for answers -- my pain seems to be getting worse with less time between episodes. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate your feedback!

Thanks, Beth

Have they looked for gallstones? Your symptoms sound exactly like mine before I had my gallbladder removed - except for the lipase levels (I don't know if mine were elevated).

rainey, sounds to me like you have suffered long enough. i am a med tech too and i think you should see the doc who put in your band and have him check it. what other symptoms do you have ? it doesnt sound like it is your band , if it was wouldnt it hurt all the time.? im stumped. let us know what happens. maybe go to a different doctor and get another opinion. did you get a scope or xrays to see whats going on. i wonder sometimes if we get air trapped in the lower stomach.

I don't know about the lipase levels, but I had my tubing come loose from the band and it hurt like crazy--took a long time to diagnose,too. Are you haveing restriction?

Sorry, I didn't read your post very carefully. I wonder if it is possible your tubing has come loose and perforated an organ causing this side effect?

It is very hard for the doc to see the tubing is loose without an abdominal CAT scan and then they have to be looking for it.:)

I too was banded in 2003 and was going through the same bouts of abdominal pain periodically, about once a month or so. Seemed to be right around my belly button, I thought maybe scar tissue from my port had blocked my intestines or something, I also thought of the pancreatitis route, trying to look something up on the internet to match my symptoms. It got much worse when I started taking Adderall for my ADHD...which is a stimulant and also very dehydrating. I finally figured out that I was chronically constipated (although I COULD still go #2), and because the port area was "slightly" pushing on my intestines- which is normal-, any time the stool was very hard and dry inside it made my life MISERABLE. I could only lay on my right side, fetal....and when I stood up straight it was excruciating. So, in desperation, I took to drinking at least 2 liters of Evian every day (can't drink any other bottled water) and also making 4-5 prunes, a box of raisins, or at least one apple part of my daily eating. Usually I just eat the prunes cuz they are fast and I can get it over with- and they work REALLY well. :)|. Knock on wood, since I have been on this water/prune routine it hasn't happened. That is the ONLY thing that has worked for me. Not saying you shouldn't go to the doctor, but maybe try this first and see if it helps relieve things. If it is anything like what I had, it is MISERABLE, so I feel your pain. Hope this helps!