Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Does the Exhausted Feeling Leave!

Hi all! I was banded on 2/5 and initially I expected to be very tired, but it has gotten worse. I come home from work or a three hour outting and I immediately drop into bed. My limbs ache and I just can't function. I went to see my doctor and he said this is normal. I am eating what I have been told, taking my Vitamins and drinking about 50-55 ounces of Water which seems to be the only thing I can improve on. Even as a heavy person I was somewhat active with my kids and daily chores, but this feels like someone is dragging me down with weights. I do not have a fever and I haven't vommited....except for the exhaustion I feel like none of the red flags I was given are up. Has anyone experienced this?

you should start to feel much better in the 4th week--which is this week! or certainly in the 5th week.

if you had hernia fixed, or gallbladder out at the same time--probably you'll still feel tired longer.

are you getting some Protein? that definitely helps with the tired feeling. Optifast shakes are good--mix them in blender with ice--they really taste "milk shake"y that way.

give yourself a break--you just had surgery 3 wks ago! congratulations!

and rest as much as you can--you deserve to and need to.

It takes a month or longer for the anesthesia to get out of your body. The tiredness is normal. Think of it as healing! As you sleep your tummy heals. It will stop soon!

Plus, once you get to mushies you might feel a bit perkier!

I reacted exactly the same way after surgery. I had a lack of energy for about 6 weeks and then it started getting better. Part of it is the anesthesia, part of it is lack of calories and you're still healing. Every day you'll start to feel a little bit better. Take care!!

Same here, I was banded 02/02/07 and I am still feeling quite tired. I expect to be feeling more like myself within the next few weeks. Hang in there!!!

I didn't start feeling better until I could have mushies. I was absolutely exhausted on liquids and in fact, would cry when I had to leave for work because I just didn't think I could make it. Things will get better but for now, rest as much as possible and try to heal completely. You'll be glad you did this for yourself.

Hi all! I was banded on 2/5 and initially I expected to be very tired, but it has gotten worse. I come home from work or a three hour outting and I immediately drop into bed. My limbs ache and I just can't function. I went to see my doctor and he said this is normal. I am eating what I have been told, taking my Vitamins and drinking about 50-55 ounces of Water which seems to be the only thing I can improve on. Even as a heavy person I was somewhat active with my kids and daily chores, but this feels like someone is dragging me down with weights. I do not have a fever and I haven't vommited....except for the exhaustion I feel like none of the red flags I was given are up. Has anyone experienced this?

I am going to be four weeks on Wed (I was banded 1/31) and I am much less tired this week but still not as energetic as usual. I am starting to feel little spurts of energy but they don't last long. Hang in there,though- you will turn the corner soon and feel better. Try that Water that has Protein in in. Also, are you constipated? that can really slow you down. I drink baby juice by Gerber- apple prune and that keeps things moving.

Hang in there, I know how you feel- recovery has been harder for me than I expected but it will all be worth it. :)

Thank you all so much! I am glad to hear from everyone this is normal, because I was getting very scared. I thought maybe I had made a mistake getting banded. I will hang in there and if it turned around for all of you then it will for me too hopefully.

I had my band placed 2/5/07 as well. The key is to eat. I did liquids for 1 week only and then went on to mushys. I made hot dishes, spaghetti, Soups and put them in my food processor. I ate tender roasted chicken and turkey and used ground turkey in my hot dishes. I never felt that sick, tired, sluggish feeling once I started to eat. But on that 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery I was barely able to walk and my mind was always foggy, seriously, it was like I was on drugs or something. After that I decided I wasn't going to do that to myself again. I though my doc would be mad when I told him I only did liquids for a week but he was actually happy. He saod great, whatever I could handle and not puke up he was cool with. So my advice is to say goodbye to liquids and start eating some meats, potatoes, cottage cheese, apple sauce,mashed bananas, food processed chili, whatever you can make soft, make soft and eat!