Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proceed With Caution

I would like to share a little bit of my journey with any of those who might be interested in some input other than "smooth sailing" for gastric bypass. I had RouEnY on 7/8/13 and like most of us was full of excitement, anticipation and anxiety. I read up on the surgery as much as possible and couldn't wait to begin my new journey which was to reach a goal of a healthy weight, to get off as many meds as possible and to enjoy what life has to offer. I went through the surgical procedure without any difficulties and was looking forward to reaching all of the goals I had set for myself. Unfortunately, within 2 weeks following the bypass I started to have a feeling of pressure located in my middle upper abdomen between my breast whenever I ate or drank anything. I contacted my surgeon's office and was told to try Gas-X several times daily to see if that would help, which it did but only for a few days. On 8/22/13 I was admitted to the hospital to have an upper endoscopy. The surgeon found 2 large ulcers - 1 at the connecting area of the new pouch and intestine and another on the pouch itself. He immediately put me on 2 meds (Carafate and Prilosec) and put me back to Stage 2. The meds did not help, I started vomiting and experienced pain/pressure in the same area without any relief. I was admitted to the hospital again on 9/13 - 9/16. The surgeon added a 3rd med, increased the dosages of the original 2 and placed me on TPN for nutrition (4-8 weeks). This was a procedure that I was unaware of but quickly became very educated. They have an IV Therapy team insert a PICC line into the inner side of your upper arm that contains 2 very small lines, 1 for nutrition and 1 for weekly lab work. This is a very sterile procedure and follow-up must be as sterile as possible. I was assigned a home health nurse who came to the house and taught me how to flush the lines with saline and heparin multiple times daily as well as how to change the bag and set/start-up and disconnect the bags nightly. The bags ran on 14-hr cycles and were attached to a small battery for charging. She also drew blood weekly to see monitor my progress so the TPN could be adjusted to my individual needs for nutrition. When she attempted to do the 1st draw she was unable to pull any blood out of the line so I had to go to the ER and have the IV Therapy team do a process of flushing the lines and then adding "protein busters" to prevent clotting and to open the line(s). This procedure worked and I was sent home. What was suppose to last between 4-8 weeks ended after 1-week because the insertion site became infected. I was again admitted to the hospital and the PICC line was immediately removed and IV antibiotics were given to prevent infection into my bloodstream. The next step was to attempt to do a 2nd PICC line on the opposite arm, however, I refused the procedure. After a lengthy discussion with the surgeon it was agreed upon that I would have a week (where I'm at now) to see how I'm doing with eating and drinking. I forgot to mention that the hospital where my surgeon is located is a 2.5 hour trip each way to add to the complications. After all that I have endured over the short period of 3-months this is what I have concluded - If I were given the choice to do it over again......I would be do so in a minute!!! Despite the setbacks and everything that's happened I have already lost 45lbs (half of my goal weight), gone off most of the meds I was previously taking and most of all I am feeling so much better. I cannot be happier with the surgeon I chose and his nutrition team as well as the level of care I received from the hospital staff, they are truly top-rate!! My reason for writing this on here is to let people know just one more out of the ordinary story and to encourage anyone who is currently at the beginning of this process to make sure you get as much information on the "what if" as possible. At this point I'm eating and drinking without vomiting or discomfort and have been permitted to start swimming and beginner's yoga class. Thanks for stopping by to read my journey, I wish you all the best in yours, whatever it may lead.

I'm glad you are still and sounds like you will remain with a POSITIVE attitude ... when life give you lemons - make lemonaide !!!! Keep up the good work and don't let anything or any body knock you down !!!!

I think that a reminder that this is a major surgery and that there can be challenges benefits us all. Good for you and thank you for sharing your experience! Your courage and honesty are an inspiration for all.

I would like to share a little bit of my journey with any of those who might be interested in some input other than "smooth sailing" for gastric bypass. I had RouEnY on 7/8/13 and like most of us was full of excitement, anticipation and anxiety. I read up on the surgery as much as possible and couldn't wait to begin my new journey which was to reach a goal of a healthy weight, to get off as many meds as possible and to enjoy what life has to offer. I went through the surgical procedure without any difficulties and was looking forward to reaching all of the goals I had set for myself. Unfortunately, within 2 weeks following the bypass I started to have a feeling of pressure located in my middle upper abdomen between my breast whenever I ate or drank anything. I contacted my surgeon's office and was told to try Gas-X several times daily to see if that would help, which it did but only for a few days. On 8/22/13 I was admitted to the hospital to have an upper endoscopy. The surgeon found 2 large ulcers - 1 at the connecting area of the new pouch and intestine and another on the pouch itself. He immediately put me on 2 meds (Carafate and Prilosec) and put me back to Stage 2. The meds did not help, I started vomiting and experienced pain/pressure in the same area without any relief. I was admitted to the hospital again on 9/13 - 9/16. The surgeon added a 3rd med, increased the dosages of the original 2 and placed me on TPN for nutrition (4-8 weeks). This was a procedure that I was unaware of but quickly became very educated. They have an IV Therapy team insert a PICC line into the inner side of your upper arm that contains 2 very small lines, 1 for nutrition and 1 for weekly lab work. This is a very sterile procedure and follow-up must be as sterile as possible. I was assigned a home health nurse who came to the house and taught me how to flush the lines with saline and heparin multiple times daily as well as how to change the bag and set/start-up and disconnect the bags nightly. The bags ran on 14-hr cycles and were attached to a small battery for charging. She also drew blood weekly to see monitor my progress so the TPN could be adjusted to my individual needs for nutrition. When she attempted to do the 1st draw she was unable to pull any blood out of the line so I had to go to the ER and have the IV Therapy team do a process of flushing the lines and then adding "protein busters" to prevent clotting and to open the line(s). This procedure worked and I was sent home. What was suppose to last between 4-8 weeks ended after 1-week because the insertion site became infected. I was again admitted to the hospital and the PICC line was immediately removed and IV antibiotics were given to prevent infection into my bloodstream. The next step was to attempt to do a 2nd PICC line on the opposite arm, however, I refused the procedure. After a lengthy discussion with the surgeon it was agreed upon that I would have a week (where I'm at now) to see how I'm doing with eating and drinking. I forgot to mention that the hospital where my surgeon is located is a 2.5 hour trip each way to add to the complications. After all that I have endured over the short period of 3-months this is what I have concluded - If I were given the choice to do it over again......I would be do so in a minute!!! Despite the setbacks and everything that's happened I have already lost 45lbs (half of my goal weight), gone off most of the meds I was previously taking and most of all I am feeling so much better. I cannot be happier with the surgeon I chose and his nutrition team as well as the level of care I received from the hospital staff, they are truly top-rate!! My reason for writing this on here is to let people know just one more out of the ordinary story and to encourage anyone who is currently at the beginning of this process to make sure you get as much information on the "what if" as possible. At this point I'm eating and drinking without vomiting or discomfort and have been permitted to start swimming and beginner's yoga class. Thanks for stopping by to read my journey, I wish you all the best in yours, whatever it may lead.

God bless you Cheryll im wishing you a speedy recovery, sorry that this happened to you but glad that you are doing better

Cheryll, thank you for sharing your story! I have had a few issues, but nothing as drastic as yours, and I agree, I would do it all over again! I wish you all the best in your journey and look forward to hearing about your progress!

Sue