Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on 2/12

I have to admit I am having some adjustment issues right now. maybe you all can tell me if it gets easier. For starters, is "drymouth" every morning the way it is when you get banded? Is hydration always going to be as tough as it is right now or will it get easier? what happens when you work out and want to drink Water to cool off? Is sipping really going to help? I guess the drinking aspect is the biggest surprise to me after surgery - it is actually harder to adjust to (for me at least) rather than the eating.

Oh, it's nearly two weeks since the surgery and my body has dropped at least 28 pounds - that's a lot faster than I expected - is this normal after the surgery?

The sipping thing is important because you shouldn't be gulping Water. Small sips are preferable. And you always want to stay hydrated. So if you can't gulp you have to ....... you get the idea. As for the quick weight loss, everyone is different. Right now the thing is to HEAL. Don't worry about weight loss. Some people actually even gain a little during this time. So if you are losing, you are indeed fortunate.

I had three days of liquid diet before surgery. I was at 305 thursday before the surgery, by the time i go to the hospital for surgery i weighed 296, after surgery I had on week of liquid diet again, Proteins, diluted juices/milk, this week is baby food type of stuff, next week i go on regular foods again...i have to talk to the dietician to see what my diet should consist of and what kind of meals i can have at 4 ounces.

So is the "gulping" of liquids a problem because of swallowing air, or is it for anotherr reason?

I have had a lot of air in my stomach since surgery, gas from surgery, gas from food, etc. I was worried about the pressure it was causing, of course after surgery it takes a while for the body to start functionning again, so i finally was able to belch - as weird as that sounds i figure somebody who has had this done to them would understand it. I figure most of the swelling from surgery has gone down and it is allowing some room for this. Can you tell will i feel more presuure after I get my first fill?

I just noticed Kelsy was banded on the same day I was was. How is it coming along for you Kelsy?

MyKdsDad, how longt ago did you get banded? How long did it take you to get down to 256?? you realy want to get down to 130!? WOW! I can't even imagine being that weight.

That is fantastic, 28lbs! Drinking has always been an issue for me so while I wait for my date, I've been working really hard to find tricks to help me drink. I hate spending money on Water bottles but I find I will drink more than if i have a glass of water. Just something that has helped me with that issue. Keep up the good work

You are wonderful, not only are you support for your wife, but for everyone here!

There should be more DH's out there...LOL

Jport,

Are you sleeping on your back? I'm just wondering if your morning drymouth might be due to sleeping with your mouth open. I have that frequently if I sleep on my back. I also keep a bottle of Water by my bed at night so I can drink some Water if I wake up in the middle of the night.

I also set a timer for awhile for 10 minutes, and would drink a few ounces of water every time it went off, and then reset my timer.

Hope this helps!

travelgirl,

yes I sleep on my back, i have sleep apnea so i tend to snore quite a bit. i have the C-Pap machine, but since I dropped so much weight it's like the setting is too high for me. It's is actually too much air for me know and I have to get the thing reset. I end up wakin up about two times a night because of the dry mouth.

I was banded on 2-9-07 and I took small sips at first but now I am able to take bigger drinks of Water and I feel fine. I don't chug a whole bottle or anything but I can take a big swallow without problems. I wondered about this because I remembered other people say to "sip" stuff but it hasn't been a problem for me to take a bigger swallow. I don't know???