Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New job after weight loss

Has anyone gotten or thought about getting a new job after their surgery? I currently work min wage as a cashier at a local retailer. I have a degree, but unless I am willing to move, it is pretty useless. I am thinking of switching jobs because after I start losing I think companies would be more likely to hire me. Any thoughts?

Elementary Education(K-8) with the ability to teach middle school math, science, and social science

I'm so looking for a new job after I get my weight off. I have a very stressful job. I've been doing the same thing with more and more responsibility for 14 years and I'm just tired of it. I dont know where I will end up, but I will be looking and applying. I have been telling my husband this for a while. I think he is a bit nervous because I make more then him an hour!

Start weight 224, Surgery weight 205, Current weight 199

Do you have a line of work your interested in going for?

Don't know. I know that I don't want to go to school anymore, but I would like to do something on the health/fitness field. I have a business management degree and I've been doing management type work with a title as Senior Technican and not management pay. I really am just at a point of my life that I want to enjoy life. I don't want to put long work hours, deal with a bunch of stress and not been happy.

Start weight 224, Surgery weight 205, Current weight 199

Has anyone gotten or thought about getting a new job after their surgery? I currently work min wage as a cashier at a local retailer. I have a degree' date=' but unless I am willing to move, it is pretty useless. I am thinking of switching jobs because after I start losing I think companies would be more likely to hire me. Any thoughts?[/quote']

Yes its true in Miami I couldnt get a job amd I have a degree in Criminal justice and over 7 years exp as a Paralegal but once I moved back I had job week before coming back to Va and same day I nego 100% health insurance so my husband can get medical attention too just not me .... can't wait till Oct when it starts so excited

MrsB surgery 1-21-13

I'm with you on not wanting to go back to school. I am thinking about it, but not sure what I would go for.

I recently got a new job, I'm making 15.00/hr as a manager at a fast food joint. It's a pretty physically demanding job, and I can't imagine doing this at my starting weight. It's pretty crazy.

I'm starting a training for a new non profit advocacy job on Monday. I've been on disability since 2002, and can no longer teach, so hopefully this will turn into a less physically demanding job.As far as hiring skinny people, statistics are clear that overweight people are hired at a lower rate than thinner people. It's still a accepted form of discrimination.

Elementary Education(K-8) with the ability to teach middle school math' date=' science, and social science[/quote']

I say go for it! We always need good teachers.

I found that when I was heavier the was way too much discrimination but when I am thinner OMG what a difference = sad but true. I was heavy when I applied for my current job 7 years ago so I know I was hired for my skills. But I know and saw shows that heavy people are truly discriminated.

I have been a truck driver for over 16 yrs next fall I will be going back to school to become a registered dietitian ...I want to enjoy my soon to be new life to its fullest and I cant do that from the drivers seat