Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth Control suggestions?

Its an implant? Wonder how that works! 3 yrs would be awesome. Do you have a normal period?

It is a tiny plastic rod that has progesterone in it. I have spotting/very light period every month. And it's working cause I got pregnant with both of my girls while on the pill, I've had the implant for 18 mo and no scares! It's so nice not to worry about taking anything daily, weekly, or monthly

I have no suggestions lol, BC and I don't get along :( The Mirena was a nightmare from day one (migraines every single day, sharp pains, esp sharp pains during the big O... I STILL get pain during O on occasion 2.5 years after its removal). BCPs aren't and option post-op but I can't even use then now because they make my flow reach a near hemmorage level. I'm thinking about trying the nuva ring. I like that its not something I have to suffer with if it makes me miserable (like with the shot it takes time to leave your system, with the implant you have to get it removed, etc.) since hormonal BC tends to create issues for me. I thought about just sticking with condoms per usual BUT post-op I may not have the back-up of a naturally difficult to impregnate body (not impossible, but difficult), so if one breaks it could equal and unplanned pregnancy long before its recommended. Also, I have used NFP (natural family planning- NOT the "calendar method") for years so I don't think putting it in would be that difficult. My personal advise is pick something that is easily reversible just in case the side effects are too much to bear... but not all women are as sentitive as I am.

It's a ring you insert vaginally' date=' leave in place x 3 weeks then remove x1 week....however, my gym let me in on the secret of keeping it in for 4 weeks then switching to the new one. I've had 1 period in 6 months! HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 199[/quote']

I tried this this month. I got my period (or spotting or something) on the last day of the 4th week, about 5 or 6 hours before I changed rings. I figured the old one had worn off and inserting the new one would stop it. It's day 4 now and I still have it. Granted, it's very light, but I'm surprised I have it at all with the new ring. Guess the 4-week method doesn't work for me. And my boyfriend scolded me for playing doctor and not following the instructions :-/

I tried this this month. I got my period (or spotting or something) on the last day of the 4th week' date=' about 5 or 6 hours before I changed rings. I figured the old one had worn off and inserting the new one would stop it. It's day 4 now and I still have it. Granted, it's very light, but I'm surprised I have it at all with the new ring. Guess the 4-week method doesn't work for me. And my boyfriend scolded me for playing doctor and not following the instructions :-/[/quote']

I was following doctors orders :P I will occasionally spot for a couple days and I had 1 real period. Sorry it wasn't magic for ya :(

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 198

I've had nothing but great success on Mirena. No issues almost no spotting and haven't had a period since they put it in. I had that done 6 months before surgery in preparation and it was a great choice for me. I feel bad someone else had so many side effects but none for me. It's an IUD good for up to 5 years.