Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, my name is Sharon and I am from Utah. I am looking at having lap band done and I have some questions on the before's.

What is the first step in all this, do I just call the Doctor or do I get with my insurance. Can anyone help me with the best approch to this.

Thanks Sharon P.:help:

Hi Sharon! Usually the first step is to contact your insurance rep and see what kind of coverage you have. If they tell you it isn't covered, you will need to have them send you a copy of the exact wording of what and why it is not covered, because many times it can be fought and won.

Next you will need to find a Dr. If ins. approves WLS, then you will need to be sure to find one within the network. When you call the Dr. most of them offer a seminar once a month or so. At the seminar they go over the basics....whatis required to have the surgery, how it is done, what the expectations can be, recovery etc. They often have prior banded patients on hand to answer questions, and will have a Q&A period. They will also usually have office staff on hand to help with ins. questions, and will be able to guide you in the next steps depending on your insurance. Some require psych exams, and nutritionist meetings.

Even if insurance is difficult right off the bat, it is not a bad idea to go ahead and attend a seminar, and get someone in the Dr.'s office who can help you descipher some of the insurance issues. And attending the seminar will also answer some of the lap band questions you may have.

On the back of your ins. card, there should be a # you can call and speak to someone and find out their stance on WLS---lap band in particular. Be sure to mention it is bariatric surgery for morbid obesity. You might also be able to get help finding out about your insurance situation through the HR person at your job, if you are not going to keep the surgery quiet.

Hope it all works out for you---I love my band!!!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask away---we will try to help in any way we can!

Welcome to LBT!!!

Kat

Hi there! Welcome! I'm from Utah too, Dr. Hansen is my Dr. as well as my daughter's Dr. He's located in Sandy, UT. Just got banded on the 12th of Feb., my post op visit is next Tuesday. No insurance coverage, so things went pretty fast. Hope to hear from you again!

lessofme

Thank you both for getting back with me, Kat I want to thank you for all the info this helps alot. I will be checking on the seminars and going to one to see and learn more. I will be in touch and I will keep checking in here for more help and info. Thanks Again.

Hi there! Welcome! I'm from Utah too, Dr. Hansen is my Dr. as well as my daughter's Dr. He's located in Sandy, UT. Just got banded on the 12th of Feb., my post op visit is next Tuesday. No insurance coverage, so things went pretty fast. Hope to hear from you again!

lessofme

Hey lessofme and Sharon P--hope you are both doing well with your surgery and your decisions. I'm having Dr. Hansen do my surgery on March 19. Right now I'm feeling a little apprehensive about it all--will it work? can I eat following the rules for the rest of my life? (I'm sure those two questions are related!). What if I have complications? Spending money out of pocket for the surgery is one thing, but thinking of doubling or tripling that amount because of complications is very scary.

Lessofme, have you survived the long period of liquids and pureed/strained foods without too much problem? Have you lost weight yet? You'll have your fill the day I have my surgery!

I'm so full of emotions: excited, nervous, anxious, hopeful... But, what else is new???

Good luck to you both! Karen (in Provo)