Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months in, starting weight 234, current weight 179. Just starting a few solids once a day and I have diarrhea everyday, sometimes all day. I'm not dumping, food stays in for hours, but when it comes it comes. Does anyone have this problem? What can I do about this?

I'm 16 months post op and I go thru bouts diarrhea. I spoke to my gastro AND surgeon about it both say either its something I am eating or the combination and/or just a thing that I am going to have to live with. I would get it around the same time in the morning. I would have yogurt and cottage cheese for Breakfast so I tried different things and sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not. At one point I did not eat in the morning if I had a meeting etc. I still have this problem but not as much, all last week I had it now today I seem to be OK and ate the same food as last week - go figure !!!!

I talk to your surgeon and maybe try different foods or combinations of foods.

Thanks, for your response. This is quite annoying. If I have to go out I don't eat either. Can we eat spicy foods ?

Well I can say I am an expert on this subject. I have had diarrhea ever since my rny 14 months ago. I have tried everything to get it to stop. The over the counter meds work sometimes but not all the time. I finally went to a GI doc and things are starting to look up for me. He did a colonoscopy and endoscopy on me. Everything was normal from his vantage point. He put me on some medication which slows down the gut and therefore makes me regular. It is my miracle drug right now. After reading some articles about the subject I have cut fruit out if my diet for the most part. It has a sugar in it called sorbitol which can cause diarrhea for rny patients. I love fruit and before I read that I was eating it 2-3 times a day. Sorbitol is now also appearing in other foods as a sugar substitute. I stay away from most milk products. I use lactose free milk for my Protein Shakes.

Bottom line you have to learn about your body and what are its triggers for diarrhea. There is medication out there to help you if it is chronic like mine is.

Probiotics are supposed to be good for the diarrhea. Also you have to think, is it diarrhea, like stomach cramps and rushing to the bathroom? Or is it just loose stools? The less solid food you eat, the less solid your #2.....obviously this doesn't apply to those of you months and months out.

Well I can say I am an expert on this subject. I have had diarrhea ever since my rny 14 months ago. I have tried everything to get it to stop. The over the counter meds work sometimes but not all the time. I finally went to a GI doc and things are starting to look up for me. He did a colonoscopy and endoscopy on me. Everything was normal from his vantage point. He put me on some medication which slows down the gut and therefore makes me regular. It is my miracle drug right now. After reading some articles about the subject I have cut fruit out if my diet for the most part. It has a sugar in it called sorbitol which can cause diarrhea for rny patients. I love fruit and before I read that I was eating it 2-3 times a day. Sorbitol is now also appearing in other foods as a sugar substitute. I stay away from most milk products. I use lactose free milk for my Protein Shakes.< /p>

Bottom line you have to learn about your body and what are its triggers for diarrhea. There is medication out there to help you if it is chronic like mine is.

Hey Music.... my regular dr. put me on meds too, it was to slow down the movement of my bowels. It worked sometimes and sometimes it did not. I'm not a fruit eater at all and I was thinking mine was lactose intolerant but I could eat yogurt or cottage cheese at night and nothing but something in the morning was doing it. Then all of a sudden it stops and there were NO changes to diet etc. Strange... very strange.

Hey Music.... my regular dr. put me on meds too' date=' it was to slow down the movement of my bowels. It worked sometimes and sometimes it did not. I'm not a fruit eater at all and I was thinking mine was lactose intolerant but I could eat yogurt or cottage cheese at night and nothing but something in the morning was doing it. Then all of a sudden it stops and there were NO changes to diet etc. Strange... very strange.[/quote']

My doc gave me something called despramine it is an old anti depressant that caused such horrible Constipation that people would stop taking it. For it keeps me regular and I am thankful for that.

It might actually still be the lactose. If you are eating those items in the evening it might take 12 hours to go through your system and when it comes out it is loose. Which cause the diarrhea in the morning.