Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Logs Discussion

I had my surgery at a naval hospital that is 5 hours away. I think I will call them and ask what my Protein should be. I didn't know about the egg whites in drinks. meat Protein doesn't really work for me and some days (like today) my pouch is a grouch. I get nausea when I eat, so I drink protein shakes. Thanks for the ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I had my surgery at a naval hospital that is 5 hours away. I think I will call them and ask what my Protein should be. I didn't know about the egg whites in drinks. meat Protein doesn't really work for me and some days (like today) my pouch is a grouch. I get nausea when I eat' date=' so I drink protein shakes. Thanks for the ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk[/quote']

Yup! Call and see where they want your protein intake. I'm supposed to get 60-80 gram. With 'normal' foods I average 40-50 so in FORCING myself to do a shake 4-5 times a week so I can average 70-75...I want so badly to kill off the shake but every time I try my protein decreases and I stall. Bleh.

Yup! Call and see where they want your Protein intake. I'm supposed to get 60-80 gram. With 'normal' foods I average 40-50 so in FORCING myself to do a shake 4-5 times a week so I can average 70-75...I want so badly to kill off the shake but every time I try my Protein decreases and I stall. Bleh.

That's what I'm experiencing...stalling stinks.

DL is there a way I can make changes on my MFP to where I can measure things...like I see some people put a spoon of this, or 1/3 of that...when I log my foods usually I am on my ipad, and when I am on the go I'm on my phone....I want to be accountable for anything I put in my mouth...is there a way to do that? I'm in front of a computer now so the features are different than the ipad n phone...

The method that music describes is probably the one most often used. But there is another alternative that may help in some cases. I'll use green Beans as an example. Open MFP, go to your diary and then enter "green beans" in the search field. The first option that comes us is "Beans - Green (8oz.)(226g)". Tap on that entry. The first field on that screen is "Serving Size" and is showing 226g. But if you look immediately to the right of 226g you will see an arrow. Tap the arrow or really anywhere in the "Serving Size" field and it will open to show you serving size options. In this case, you have two options - 226g which is the default (as noted by the check mark in that field) or 1g. Those are your options. But the options you have will depend on the food you search for.

For example, if you search for "Yogurt", choose the first entry, and then tap anywhere in the "Serving Size" field, you will see options for 6oz or 1oz. Many of us are more comfortable with those measurements as opposed to metric.

If you play around with searches for different foods, you'll find that still other options are available for different foods. One I'm looking at right now has options for

"0.5 cups", "1 cup", or "1 container (1.8 cups ea.)".

Finally, if you do a search for a food and there are any number of options for essentially the same food (usually the case), different ones may have different serving size options. It's a little tedious to check several options to hopefully find one that has the serving size you want. But in many cases you only have to do it once - especially if it's something you eat frequently.

Hope that helps!

The method that music describes is probably the one most often used. But there is another alternative that may help in some cases. I'll use green Beans as an example. Open MFP, go to your diary and then enter "green beans" in the search field. The first option that comes us is "Beans - Green (8oz.)(226g)". Tap on that entry. The first field on that screen is "Serving Size" and is showing 226g. But if you look immediately to the right of 226g you will see an arrow. Tap the arrow or really anywhere in the "Serving Size" field and it will open to show you serving size options. In this case, you have two options - 226g which is the default (as noted by the check mark in that field) or 1g. Those are your options. But the options you have will depend on the food you search for.

For example, if you search for "Yogurt", choose the first entry, and then tap anywhere in the "Serving Size" field, you will see options for 6oz or 1oz. Many of us are more comfortable with those measurements as opposed to metric.

If you play around with searches for different foods, you'll find that still other options are available for different foods. One I'm looking at right now has options for

"0.5 cups", "1 cup", or "1 container (1.8 cups ea.)".

Finally, if you do a search for a food and there are any number of options for essentially the same food (usually the case), different ones may have different serving size options. It's a little tedious to check several options to hopefully find one that has the serving size you want. But in many cases you only have to do it once - especially if it's something you eat frequently.

Hope that helps!

Thank u so much :)

So after reading all the posts on here and actually logging on MFP, I realize my Protein intake is really low. I'm 4 months out of surgery and struggle to get 30 grams of Protein a day. My. Pouch doesn't like most meat. How do I increase my protein and how much should I be aiming for on a daily basis ?

Doctors are all over the place when it comes to recommended daily protein so as others have said, call your doctor to find out what you goal should be.

It is always best to get your protein (and all of your nutrients) from real food. But what I believe is even more important is getting ALL of your doctor's recommended protein, every day. Protein is important for a whole list of reasons including being used heavily by your body for healing and protecting you from bacterial and viral infections just to name a couple.

Since protein requirements for us RNY folks can be pretty high (up to 100g a day), getting ALL of your protein from real food can be challenging. That's where supplements come in.

My doctor recommends 100g of protein a day. I found that to be almost impossible without a protein supplement. There are any number of options and your choice will likely be based as much on your taste buds as anything else. I hit my 100g daily protein goal about 95% of the time but - I drink a 35g Protein shake for Breakfast just about every day of the world. I always have three flavors on hand. Two flavors I order all of the time and I rotate the third flavor among various options.

Call your doctor and find out what he/she recommends for your daily protein goal. If you can get all of the recommended protein from food, that's ideal. If you can't, supplements are good - well, supplements! Consistently falling short of your protein goal is not a healthy option. You're gonna love the new you!!

I log daily and it keeps me on top of watching my intake :) Even though I cannot eat much I would overheat if I didn't log. I use Livestrong my plate to log:) I sometimes get caught up logging before I even eat.

I'm somewhat familiar with Livestrong (their website) but not with their logging app. I would love to read your thoughts on it. Ease of use, size and user friendliness of their food database, information the app provides on your daily/weekly carbs/fats/proteins, or anything else that you would care to share! There are lots of apps out there and I think many of us would love to hear about the features, strengths and weaknesses of various options. Thanks so much!!

Is there anybody to tell me how to modify my daily protein/calorie goals in MFP? Would really appreciate your help ;) my goals right now are ridiculously high...

The easiest way to change ANY of your goals is from their website. So go to www.myfitnesspal.com and login. You will have to register (very easy) if you haven't done so already.

Once you're logged in click on Goals > Change Goals > Custom > Continue. From that page you can change every goal in the app including calories, carbs/protein/fat percentage goals, and anything else right down to individual Vitamin goals. When you're done click Change Goals.

Your new goals will synch with your phone the next time you open the app.

Let me know if you have any problem!

Well overall I felt like I had another bad week' date=' but looking at my numbers I did ok I guess. Looking at last week I did much better.

Protein - took in 708 and was 28 under my goal.

Fat - took in 369 under by 100

Potassium - 2000 over goal - I need to really watch this - I did decrease it from last week.

Calories - 425 over and my average for the week was a little over.

I start a rheumatoid arthritis flare up this week and for that reason I did not exercise at all. I had to increase my prednisone to help reduce the flare and i am always worried it will increase my hunger. i have 2 weeks left of a night shift and will be able to get back into a better rhythm for my workouts once I go back to days. I am counting down the days as I am tired of nights. Hopefully my eating habits will be a little better as well. And finally soccer season starts next week so I will be burning my calories up and hopefully dropping my weight down.[/quote']

Why would you lower potassium? Potassium is really good for people.. is there a reason?

Classic day.. I truly thought I hit ny Protein goals untul

Until I saw my log. I only got 35grams. Crap. Now I need to drink milk and have a yogurt before bed. :(

Why would you lower potassium? Potassium is really good for people.. is there a reason?

I was just going by the amount that MFP had given me as a goal. I was over by 2000.

I was just going by the amount that MFP had given me as a goal. I was over by 2000.

Until I saw my log. I only got 35grams. Crap. Now I need to drink milk and have a yogurt before bed. :(

I have shared your frustration - many times. But how cool is it that your log teaches you so much about what you eat? It also has taught me to check it after every meal so I can make adjustments in the next meal for Protein, carbs, fat, calories, or whatever. Of course that doesn't mean I always make the adjustment - just means I don't have an excuse!