Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Logs Discussion

If I didn't log, I'd ALWAYS underestimate EVERYTHING!

It's funny, I tend to just slightly over estimate calories (the inner fat girl assuming the worst and trying to convince herself to eat less) but I can't guess Protein serving sizes or amounts worth a damn! Oh I bet that's 20 grams of protein!!! 8??? It's 8 grams of Protein? !?!? Crap.

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 200.6

Lol! Well put SoccerMomma! I'm just the opposite but regardless of the challenge, logging puts an end to guessing!

Well overall I felt like I had another bad week, but looking at my numbers I did ok I guess. Looking at last week I did much better.

Protein - took in 708 and was 28 under my goal.

Fat - took in 369 under by 100

Potassium - 2000 over goal - I need to really watch this - I did decrease it from last week.

Calories - 425 over and my average for the week was a little over.

I start a rheumatoid arthritis flare up this week and for that reason I did not exercise at all. I had to increase my prednisone to help reduce the flare and i am always worried it will increase my hunger. i have 2 weeks left of a night shift and will be able to get back into a better rhythm for my workouts once I go back to days. I am counting down the days as I am tired of nights. Hopefully my eating habits will be a little better as well. And finally soccer season starts next week so I will be burning my calories up and hopefully dropping my weight down.

Well overall I felt like I had another bad week' date=' but looking at my numbers I did ok I guess. Looking at last week I did much better.

Potassium - 2000 over goal - I need to really watch this - I did decrease it from last week.

I start a rheumatoid arthritis flare up this week and for that reason I did not exercise at all. I had to increase my prednisone to help reduce the flare and i am always worried it will increase my hunger. i have 2 weeks left of a night shift and will be able to get back into a better rhythm for my workouts once I go back to days. I am counting down the days as I am tired of nights. Hopefully my eating habits will be a little better as well. And finally soccer season starts next week so I will be burning my calories up and hopefully dropping my weight down.[/quote']

Unless you have an issue with potassium most bodies handle having excess without a problem. People with renal disease or certain meds tends to run high and have to watch there potassium intake but most of us just need to make sure we get enough. (And if you're one of the people that run high and have to watch theirs oops! Sorry!!!)

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 200.6

Well overall I felt like I had another bad week, but looking at my numbers I did ok I guess. Looking at last week I did much better.

I start a rheumatoid arthritis flare up this week and for that reason I did not exercise at all. I had to increase my prednisone to help reduce the flare and i am always worried it will increase my hunger. i have 2 weeks left of a night shift and will be able to get back into a better rhythm for my workouts once I go back to days. I am counting down the days as I am tired of nights. Hopefully my eating habits will be a little better as well. And finally soccer season starts next week so I will be burning my calories up and hopefully dropping my weight down.

Music, I really think that you're being too hard on yourself. Most folks consider my 100g of Protein a day a lot. You're goaling even more than that which is fine but missing it by 4% is pretty dang close. 425 over on calories - that's 65 calories a day. A little room for improvement but hardly serious. And 100g UNDER on fat - I'd kill for that number!! Two questions for you.

One - are you a perfectionist. Because I am. And reading your post screams perfectionist at me. People often think being a perfectionist is a good thing. And not one of them is one! I am and I know how frustrating it can be. Logging increases your control exponentially but very narrow tolerances are not realistic. And not necessary.

Two - how's your weight doing? I'm not foolish enough to ask a lady her weight. What I'm asking is where you're at relative to your maintenance goal weight. When all is said and done, the bottom line is how your weight is responding to your diet.

For what it's worth, I think you're doing great!!

Music' date=' I really think that you're being too hard on yourself. Most folks consider my 100g of Protein a day a lot. You're goaling even more than that which is fine but missing it by 4% is pretty dang close. 425 over on calories - that's 65 calories a day. A little room for improvement but hardly serious. And 100g UNDER on fat - I'd kill for that number!! Two questions for you.

One - are you a perfectionist. Because I am. And reading your post screams perfectionist at me. People often think being a perfectionist is a good thing. And not one of them is one! I am and I know how frustrating it can be. Logging increases your control exponentially but very narrow tolerances are not realistic. And not necessary.

Two - how's your weight doing? I'm not foolish enough to ask a lady her weight. What I'm asking is where you're at relative to your maintenance goal weight. When all is said and done, the bottom line is how your weight is responding to your diet.

For what it's worth, I think you're doing great!![/quote']

I have the increased Protein intake because I am weight training. I am working on getting Into the police academy and I have to be able to bench press 56% of my body weight. I am currently at 139-142 I would like to get to 135 as that would mean I have to bench press 75. 150 was my personal goal weight. I am big boned and muscular as I am a soccer player. People looking at me would not think I weigh as much as I do. Not many women in a size 2 weigh 140. So I have never gotten hung up on my weight number.

I would never consider my self a perfectionist, but want to make sure I stay healthy. I love this life too much. I also must keep myself healthy so that I can decrease my RA meds and not be crippled at the age of 50. Watching family members struggle daily with the horrible disease of arthritis is a real motivator. I did this surgery because I was in a horrible cycle of taking steroids to be able to function. Gaining weight because of the steroids. Increasing the dosage because I was gaining weight and putting my joints under more stress. I knew it was never ending and I am too young to have my life taken from me.

I guess it really comes down to the control aspect of logging. Logging gives you the control needed to maintain our success!

Wow. You're story is indeed inspiring. And it's about much more than just food logging. The surgery we've all either chosen or are considering. The countless, often untold stories that motivate us to overcome our fears for the promise of a second, life-changing opportunity. The commitment required to set an ambitious goal. And the satisfaction and impossible to describe "high" of making that goal a reality. Thank you for sharing your story. The police will be fortunate to add you to their ranks. And I still think you're a perfectionist! LOL

Wow. You're story is indeed inspiring. And it's about much more than just food logging. The surgery we've all either chosen or are considering. The countless' date=' often untold stories that motivate us to overcome our fears for the promise of a second, life-changing opportunity. The commitment required to set an ambitious goal. And the satisfaction and impossible to describe "high" of making that goal a reality. Thank you for sharing your story. The police will be fortunate to add you to their ranks. And I still think you're a perfectionist! LOL[/quote']

I resemble that last remark then.

You are right the high I get from life now is soooo much better than the high from food I used to get.

So after reading all the posts on here and actually logging on MFP, I realize my Protein intake is really low. I'm 4 months out of surgery and struggle to get 30 grams of Protein a day. My. Pouch doesn't like most meat. How do I increase my protein and how much should I be aiming for on a daily basis ?

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I log daily and it keeps me on top of watching my intake :) Even though I cannot eat much I would overheat if I didn't log. I use Livestrong my plate to log:) I sometimes get caught up logging before I even eat.

So after reading all the posts on here and actually logging on MFP' date=' I realize my Protein intake is really low. I'm 4 months out of surgery and struggle to get 30 grams of Protein a day. My. Pouch doesn't like most meat. How do I increase my protein and how much should I be aiming for on a daily basis ?

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk[/quote']

My first question would be what does your doctor recommend for protein intake. All doctors are different on the issue so check with your doctor first.

There are so many ways to get in your protein without eating meat. Fish is a lot lighter and I was able to tolerate it quicker than meat and chicken. In fact I am really just now at 14 months post op able to handle chicken on a regular basis. Beans have good amount of protein. Of course there is always your Protein shakes. However my favorite protein is egg whites. I use a double pasteurized egg white and add it to my drinks. I take a drink with no protein value and turn it into 30-45g Protein Drink with no effort. You do not taste the egg whites and usually you can not tell it is in your drink. I have learned not to shake my drink after adding the egg whites as it does create a strange foam. Each pump is 3.3 grams of whole food protein. Whole food protein is broken down easier by the body. It is the protein found in all your meats and dairy. The protein in your shakes is not whole food protein and therefore most nuts will tells you that your body can only break down so much at one time.

https://www.eggwhitesint.com/

DL is there a way I can make changes on my MFP to where I can measure things...like I see some people put a spoon of this, or 1/3 of that...when I log my foods usually I am on my ipad, and when I am on the go I'm on my phone....I want to be accountable for anything I put in my mouth...is there a way to do that? I'm in front of a computer now so the features are different than the ipad n phone...

I use my iPhone 99% of the time. When you enter in your food you are given the choices to change your serving size and amount. That is how you change your amount you ate. I added two pictures for you.

Hope that helps!

post-19758-1381381295076_thumb.jpg

post-19758-13813812951222_thumb.jpg

I use my iPhone 99% of the time. When you enter in your food you are given the choices to change your serving size and amount. That is how you change your amount you ate. I added two pictures for you.

Hope that helps!

Perfect Thanks music :)