Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating and drinking

Been wondering about this and hope you people can set me straight.

How long after eating is it OK to drink?

I understand that what we eat is supposed to make us feel full for hours because it sits in the pouch and is released slowly into your stomach - but how can this be the case when we drink afterwards? doesn't the Fluid flush the food out the pouch - defeating the purpose? Or does the Fluid sit on top of the food and back up?

I'm a wee bit confused - sorry.

I'm trying to get my head around this before I get my first fill.

Yvonne

x

Good Morning Yvonne

Well my doctor says not to drink 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after you eat so the food can stay in your pouch longer. Always feel free to contact your doctors office with questions. They are use to them.

Thanks Teresita,

I've heard that about waiting a while - just worried that drinking will flush the food out of the pouch and you'll feel hungry again.

Yvonne

x

Everyone is diffrent and some may say it doesn't work but why not try it. We have created some really bad eating habits so we have nothing to lose but weight by trying it. Great job on the 30 pounds Yvonne.. WOOHOO!

Thanks Teresita,

I've heard that about waiting a while - just worried that drinking will flush the food out of the pouch and you'll feel hungry again.

Yvonne

x

I was told to wait about an hour. By then, the nerves that signal full have been turned on, and it takes a while to feel hungry again. I know there is a more medical/technical way to explain it, but that the gist.

many thanks lisah25,

I appreciate the explanation - that has helped me get my head around it.

Cheers,

Yvonne

x

I had a question along the same line; I get why we aren't supposed to drink after eating, but why can't we drink before eating? It would seem that the liquid would funnel through before the food. Thanks for any explanations. Barb

My doctor (and most others I've heard of from fellow bandsters) say quit drinking shortly before you begin eating; dont drink for an hour afterward.

I had a question along the same line; I get why we aren't supposed to drink after eating, but why can't we drink before eating? It would seem that the liquid would funnel through before the food. Thanks for any explanations. Barb

Hum, I was told I could drink right up until eating, I'm not sure why we couldn't?

i too was told i could drink right up until i was going to eat.

i have learned if i drink something too cold it sort of closes me up, so warm helps. i also am a cheater--i take a small sip right after i eat to make sure it is moving (i am paranoid to get stuck-i hate it) so if it moves a bit i know i can stop. usually an hour later i drink a glass of water--made it a habit so it helps to get my Water down for the day.

I was told you couldn't drink 1/2 hour before and 1/2 hour after for a few reasons:

1. Water will cause food to expand and make you feel fuller than you really are, and cause you to seek food sooner than you should.

2. Water after pushes the food through the pouch faster, again causing you to not feel as fuller as long.

3. It can also cause you to expand your pouch.

I fought it for awhile and drank before, during and after. That did not last long! :)