Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting down the road

:help: Hello, My name is Chris and I am 42 years old. I am just starting my trip down the road to getting my band. Have appt with doctor 3/9. Husband is very supportive but I still have concerns. My BMI is >50 and I am worried. I want to do this for myself more than anything. It is very hard to carry an extra person around with you everywhere and I would love to be able to do things other people do every day. Riding a bike, walking without pain, enjoying the garden and flower beds and etc.

Have decided to have this done and not tell family members. I do not want them to worry. But in the back of my mind I still hear, am I doing the right thing? What if it does not work? I am sure you have asked yourself the same questions.

Sorry to bend your ear, I just needed to vent and get some supportive advise.

Thanks, Chris

Welcome!!! My insurance journey took right at 6 months (Aetna). So far it was well worth the wait! I was banded on 1/18/07 and have lost over 20 pounds and lots of inches. Haven't checked the actual measurements lately but at last quick check was down 4 inches in my waist!

This is a very personal decision and the choices you make during your journey should be yours and yours alone. If you choose to not tell people then that is a great decision!! Sometimes I wish I wouldn't have let so many people find out. Problem was, 3 kids that I'm roommother for, 4-H meetings, football, baseball and all in a small town of about 800 where I've lived for 36 years! Kind of hard to keep anything a secret for too long around here.

Good luck and keep us posted!

You will find lots of great advice and ears to vent to here...I will be banded next Wednesday and am getting nervous but looking forward to being healthier...I quit smoking last January and gained another 30 lbs. So I have been researching since last September, attended seminar, then saw Dr first time in October...decided to hold of until first of year, and here we are end of Feb...

Anyway, welcome and good luck on your journey!

Mae

Hi Chris and welcome to LBT! I was banded on 1/30/07 and I really think it was one of the best things I've done. I was feeling the same way as you are. I think that it is normal to feel that way. I am very glad that I have my band. It is a tool- not a cure, but I do believe that if you work with your band you will succeed. Best of luck to you! Gigi