Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

scared to get banded now

Wow after reading all of the posts on here about problems with the band I am scared to death. I am set :help: to be banded on March 7th 2007. Can anyone offere a word or two so that I actually go through with my surgery.. So many are talking about being unbanded and such ans talking about still eating Jenni Craig or Nutra system? All seems like if you have to do all of that whats the point of the band?

aluckygem

Getting banded was the best thing I have ever done for myself and my family!!!

What people forget is that the band is just a "TOOL"......YOU have to make it work!!! You MUST follow up REGULARLY with your surgeon. You MUST attend Support Group Meetings. You MUST follow up with the Dietitian wwhen you feel yourself slipping into bad habits.

I am the Lap-Band Program Director at my surgeon's office and I m also a patient. I had the band surgery 2 yrs ago and I am doing fine!!! It never ceases to amaze me and anger me when I see patients who have had the surgery and never come back...and yet they call and say that "the band is not working for me".....that is so wrong! The band is only as good as it's owner!!!

I will tell you right now....if you do not intend to follow up regularly, follow the diet, attend the support group meetings, and most importantly, change your eating habits and your lifestyle - DO NOT HAVE THE LAP-BAND SURGERY!!!

It only works as good as YOU make it work!!! Hope that helps!

Nancy

If you'll check stats there are very few who have problems have to be unbanded. It's less than 1 percent. Usually all of us who aren't having problems are out enjoying life with our new bands and not on here posting. I know 10 people personally and we are all doing great as far as our bands go and I don't eat any diet food so don't get upset are worried, your only reading the very few that have problems. I wouldn't trade my band for anything in the world.

Nancy, I was only banded last week, but I agree with you 100%. My Dr. put it this way... There are 3 elements to the lap band journey. 1 is having the surgery, 2 is eating right and 3 is exercise. You will have great results if you do all 3. You will have some results if you do 2, but will not have any results if you only do the 1, have the surgery. This is not a cure, it is a tool. I agree with him. It expresses the need for changing eating habits, but also exercise, which I think is of great importance.

RaShell

Getting banded was the best thing I have ever done for myself and my family!!!

What people forget is that the band is just a "TOOL"......YOU have to make it work!!! You MUST follow up REGULARLY with your surgeon. You MUST attend Support Group Meetings. You MUST follow up with the Dietitian wwhen you feel yourself slipping into bad habits.

I am the Lap-Band Program Director at my surgeon's office and I m also a patient. I had the band surgery 2 yrs ago and I am doing fine!!! It never ceases to amaze me and anger me when I see patients who have had the surgery and never come back...and yet they call and say that "the band is not working for me".....that is so wrong! The band is only as good as it's owner!!!

I will tell you right now....if you do not intend to follow up regularly, follow the diet, attend the support group meetings, and most importantly, change your eating habits and your lifestyle - DO NOT HAVE THE LAP-BAND SURGERY!!!

It only works as good as YOU make it work!!! Hope that helps!

Nancy

I agree, it seems like online one after another after another have slippage or other problems.

Yet in real life I know many bandsters and the biggest problem is by far getting restriction right, they go over under and all around perfect restriction.

Very few slips and I dont personally know one person IRL who has eroded.

I agree with most everything that you have been told! I think if you will look at the home page, and see how many members there really are on LBT, you will be shocked!! The ones without problems don't start new threads everyday saying "Another good day", "Not dieting anymore", "Smooth Sailing".....it is when you need support for one issue or another that they come here, and look for help. I am like Jachut, I know several people locally who are all banded, and none of us have had serious issues. My SIL was overtight once, and had her fill removed for 3 weeks, but is filled again, and doing well. The rest of us, have never had problems.

I do see my Dr. on a regular schedule, I do not have a way to attend any support groups. My Dr. is a 10 hour round trip away---so his support groups are not an option. Nor do I see a professional dietician. I am sure these would be nice to have, but I have not suffered without them! I do exercise---I began after losing about the first 50 pounds---when it became comfortable to do so! Now I look forward to it! It was NEVER something I enjoyed before---now I love feeling my blood pumping--it is exhilerating! I walk everyday---I also joined Curves, to tone up...and the inches fell off! And DH and I lift small free weights every other evening---it is great together time. When we walk we talk of course, but the lifting we are eye to eye, and have a contact that is awesome! The band has improved my marriage in sooooo many ways!

I do eat better than I did prior to banding. I eat better foods, and I eat much, much less. I try to avoid sugar, and most starches---but I do not eliminate ANYTHING from my day to day diet. I do not want to diet every day for the rest of my life---and I consider this to be a life style I am adopting...for the remainder of my life, not just until the next 40 odd pounds come off. When we go out, I eat what I want and enjoy it, if I want dessert I have it. If I do have it, I know the next day, I need to cut back---it is a give and take, but I do not journal all my food---I just try to use a level head, and keep the word moderation in mind.

I would suggest lapbanding to anyone. Yes, you do have to be willing to make changes. But when you reach a good level of restriction, it makes those changes incredibly easy!!! It is easy to choose healthy foods when you are not starving all the time! If my own Mother, or Daughter needed WLS, I would accompany them to the hospital, and cheer them on. It is by far one of the best things I have ever done for myself---and my family, I am going to be around to enjoy them---the rate I was going before I wouldn't have been for long. There are always risks with any surgery----but in my case the risks I was taking with my blood pressure, and blood sugar, were far worse than the risk of banding.

Don't give up----look deep inside, and see if you are ready to change---if you are tired of the life you have now, tired of seeing the same tired and worn out person looking back at you in the mirror--then step forward and make those changes. I am not any different than you in many, many ways I am sure---I loved to eat---food was pleasurable company to me for many years...and I truly thought I would mourn it forever. In actuality, there are times I miss certain things, or being able to eat in a certain way (gobbling!!!)---but they are not all consuming thoughts as I would have expected!

The surgery for me was a simple surgery, recovery was not difficult---soreness more than serious pain. It was in fact a bit anticlimatic!!! I prepped for it, and researched it for so long, I expected a huge life changing excitement. Instead it was just smooth---and uneventful, almost felt like I missed the boat! But then the weight began dropping---and the smile began picking up!!!

This is an awesome place for support, I have made wonderful friends---so yep, I would say GO FOR IT!!! I love my band, I am living a life I had given up hope for----my band gave me back that hope---it gave me control over my eating!

Good Luck!

Kat

So far, it's been a great experience for me! You have to respect your band and treat it right. I am 15 days post op and I am sticking to my liquid/mushy food diet because I want my band to heal properly!! NO cheating for me! Just follow the rules and you should do great!!!

Wow you guys have given me faith and I thank you all so much! I got tears reading your supportive responses and chills as well to know so many out there actually care to support a newbie like me. I am going to do great and I am scared as well as excited about this new passage in my life. Thank you alll so much for being there for me and others. You are all beautiful!

aluckygem

Know where you are at, got bandd 4 days ago and almost chickened out after getting so many negatives, I know I am going to have to follow a diet but how many diets have you been on and failed I think I have tried them all, then when I felt sorry for myself I would sit down and eat a whole pumkin pie, I have lost the same 70 lbs then but it on plus more, That is why I wanted the band,knowing I can go on a program and the band will help me I stay on the program, I am weak I haven't been able to stay on a program since the phen-pen days because I need a tool to help me. I have read alot of people following ww has anyone tried the south beach diet? Go for it girl!!!!!!!