Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved! Now HELP! :-)

So I got my approval Friday afternoon after being denied that Monday and now I can breathe a bit easier!! My surgery date is set for September 16th pending final medical clearance! SO! Now I need help. What should I be buying in preparation for this surgery. What should I have at home for when I come home?

Well, I got pre surgery shopping list from my surgeon office, it has- for the preop diet: magnesium citrate bunch off sf jell-o, Popsicles broth Protein snakes in small varieties ( presumably your taste can change after the surgery ), protein Water, etc. Antibacterial soap to wash stomach evening before and morning of the surgery; for hospital stay comfy and lose fitting clothes, Chapstick, toothbrush, toothpaste, pillow if you don't like hospital ones (very likely), phone w/ charger, comfy shoes, your feet may swell up, hairbrush, deodorant. Do not overpack, you'll be there around 24h and don't need a lot. As for after the surgery at home, I recommend kitchen scale, timer (for 30-30 rule), measuring cups... I bet your hospital will send you home with a list, do no worries :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!

And good kitchen chopper for puréed stage... Hopefully you already have one ;)

Thank you so much!! This helps a ton! I'm so excited. It's all becoming a reality.

Congratulations!

My doctor admits all of his bariatric patients to the hospital for three full days post surgery so he can make sure you don't have a leaky gut. He also runs a guy test. Right now is your opportunity to shop for the food before and after your surgery. You may not be able to drive for a few days and you do not want to be stuck at home with nothing to eat.

Also, you may look into apps for your phone or get a journal to log how much you drink after your surgery. This will be very important because you do not want to become dehydrated. Since you are not staying overnight in the hospital you won't really need to take anything. You will want to wear comfortable clothes, such as a house dress or caftan. The incisions will be sore and your stomach will be swollen so prepare to have clothes be a little bit tight.

If you do not have a food scale, you should look into one. If you don't want to buy a scale you can use measuring cups. The measuring cups will not be as accurate as a scale but they will suffice. You also need to look into one and 2 ounce containers. Typically, a shot glass is 2 ounces. Walmart does sell small condiment holders that each will hold 3 ounces and they come four for one dollar.

I am just as excited as you are, and I have to keep reminding myself to take a deep breath and relax. These days will fly by.

Be careful and don't buy a lot of food for post surgery. Your taste buds will change and what taste good right now will make you nauseous at the thought of it post op. This is mainly true about your Protein Shakes.< /p>

Be careful and don't buy a lot of food for post surgery. Your taste buds will change and what taste good right now will make you nauseous at the thought of it post op. This is mainly true about your Protein shakes.

I have heard this same thing from some people, but none of my friends to have had the RNY have noticed a difference in their sense of taste. I am going to take my chances and stock up on food for the three weeks after surgery because my doctor told me I'm not allowed to drive for two weeks after surgery since I am so close to my last surgery.

Thank you. My mother will be there to help me so if I need something she will gladly get it for me but I don't want to burden her too much. So I just want to be as prepared as possible beforehand.

Thank you. My mother will be there to help me so if I need something she will gladly get it for me but I don't want to burden her too much. So I just want to be as prepared as possible beforehand.

I told you :) think positive I'm so glad.

I told you :) think positive I'm so glad.

You did! Thank you! !

Hey, I just stumbled upon this YouTube clip and thought of your question about pre/post op neccesities

http://youtu.be/dltmf4PaFPw

Okay!

Hi there! I was just approved today. It looks like an early October surgery. I am so excited I can't stand it!!!

Hi there Cindy, great news, congrats :) I am 2 days post op and it is getting better :) good luck!

Hi there Cindy' date=' great news, congrats :) I am 2 days post op and it is getting better :) good luck![/quote']

Congrats Cindy!!