Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre-op and a million questions to ask people..

I'm planning my surgery for Dec 2013 and am currently going through my pre op clearances. I have questions to ask.. and want to good.. bad.. and ugly answes.. who's willing to share??

I'm not super active on these boards but spent a ton of time reading them over the past year while trying to decide if this was the right decision for me.

I am now 3 week and 2 days post surgery (July 15th was date of surgery). And have lots of observations and opinions.

My situation may be a little different than some in that I didn't do this for weight-loss. I'm overweight but not too far out there. My problem was diabetes. I was taking 80 units of insulin twice a day plus Metformin at max dose as well as Actos and Glyburide. Obviously I'm also anxious to lose some weight.

I would think that my situation could make me more prone to things like depression because I'm not watching a scale (and celebrating the daily 'victories'...realizing that stalls are a bitch for those focused on weight-loss).

But at this point ill just say I'd be happy to give my opinion on whatever questions you have. My two general comments to get them out there are as follows:

1) get it done at a center of excellence if at all possible.

2) for me it has been truly awesome. No insulin meds required any more and I can eat as much as I want and whatever I want. The part of this that's the 'trick' is the keyword 'want'. This surgery has a way of changing what you want out of food. For the better.

Wow.. yea my reasoning is all weight and being pro active in making sure I don't develop the health issues that my family has. I'm hopimg that the inabiltity to eat the quantity that I eat now am d of what I want now isn't going to put me in a bad place mentally.

Well, I've been playing with a theory. Some people eat for taste and some more to feel full. I loved to eat before surgery but the quality of my food was not great (meaning taste was secondary to quantity). I think I am more ideal for this surgery because I still get to feel full but with a very small amount. It's really cool to eat what I did at lunch (a half of a breaded fish filet and about a tablespoon of 'fake' potato salad...made with tofu and lupini beans) and feel completely full and satisfied as if I'd just eaten 4 cheeseburgers from McDonalds. That part is pretty cool.

I am 13 months post op and would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks!! What was the most difficult part of the post op life change?!. Did you experience any depression symptoms since you couldn't eat the quantity or the thinhs you wanted? Being so far out.. what's the maintenance to keep the weight off like? Did yp u become a gym rat to keep the weigjt off?

Thanks!! What was the most difficult part of the post op life change?!. Did you experience any depression symptoms since you couldn't eat the quantity or the thinhs you wanted? Being so far out.. what's the maintenance to keep the weight off like? Did yp u become a gym rat to keep the weigjt off?

Most difficult part was dealing with the mental aspect of this surgery. It can be hard for your brain to catch up to your bodily changes. It is a creature of habit and will test you so much during this. For example - I was 1 week post op and feeling great. Still on full liquids but I craved eggs. Oh I wanted them so bad, my brain said oh go ahead and eat them. You won't have any problem those docs just give you guidelines to follow. Well after 2-3 days of denying myself the eggs I made some scrambled eggs. I had three bites and spent the next 30 min throwing up in the bathroom. The good news is that your pouch has the ultimate say so. So learning to tell my brain no can be tough.

I never went through depression for not being able to eat the quality of food. You feel full and satisfied after eating. I tell people it is like eating thanksgiving dinner at every meal. That stuffed feeling is what I get after I eat just a small amount. It is usually a little uncomfortable to be honest. I did have a few weeks where I regretted my decision for the surgery, but that is 100%normal. I was ready to eat "real" food and my pouch took its time in allowing solid foods. it was happy with Soups for the first few months. everyone is different and you must listen to your body. Your fat cells release hormones and cause your emotions to be a little out of control. So expect some emotions that you did not know where there.

I am at a point that I can eat anything I want. Which is good and bad. Good because I have variety. Bad because I can eat anything. I have gone through the times of not watching what I eat and all it did was leave me feeling frustrated with myself. This is just a tool and you must make the right food choices when you get further down the road. However if you stick to what you learned from the start of your journey you will do just fine.

I love to exercise, but I am an athlete. I was playing soccer before my surgery at 256 pounds and now I just play a lot more of it. When you feel better physically you are able to do exercises. My biggest suggestion to the gym is start early. I really think it is the reason I have not had too much loose skin. Find something that you enjoy. I found that I actually love to run and lift weights.

Hope that helps and feel free to ask more.

You are definitely in the right place! You will find tons of great folks here who are more than willing to answer your questions based on our personal experiences.

The most difficult part of post-op life? Many folks who suffer from obesity are food addicts. There are a number of similarities (and differences) with addiction to other things such as alcohol or drugs. Some experience a type of "withdrawal" from their former eating habits. The big difference being that it seldom manifests with physical symptoms such as a drug addict would experience. It is usually more of a mental challenge - often described as losing a best friend and often resulting in depression. The good news is that it is usually short-lived. Watching the pounds melt away usually puts you in a pretty great state of mind!

Maintaining your goal weight - I believe that maintenance should be practically seamless from what you were doing during the rapid weight loss stage. The only change should be a gradual, nice and easy increase in your calorie intake until you determine what your daily calorie number is to maintain your goal weight. Your surgeon and his/her team will likely drill into you that the surgery is a tool. Far and away the most important part of the process, what I call the Prime Directive - lifestyle changes. And you develop those changes during the first year following the surgery. The really cool part is the surgery makes those formerly impossible changes, possible. Finally, start maintaining a food log. And never stop. Do a search here on the forum for the thread "A Little Too Skinny". You might find it interesting.

Gym rat - I lost 130 lbs in thirteen months and did not visit a gym a single time. I chose instead to walk. At least four times a week (often more), 20 minutes each time to begin with and slowly building up to two and half to three miles and 45 to 60 minutes each time. But that was my choice. What's important is that you get active and stay active. There are many, many options for doing that. I'm sure some of the folks here will chime in with their choices. Whatever you do, find something that you ENJOY. If you hate your choice, it's not sustainable. Keep trying as many things as you need to until you find something you enjoy. Remember that staying active is not synonymous with working yourself to exhaustion. That's not sustainable and more importantly, it's not necessary.

You're gonna love the new you!!