Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Antidepressants...anyone?!?!?

Hi everyone I am 4 days post op had a revision from lapband to rny on July 26th. I seem to be doing ok a little tired but I guess that's to be expected. Ok so my question is anyone else on any antidepressant ? And if so have you had any problems with it after surgery?? The past 2 days I feel a little withdrawal from my paxil I'm having some brain zaps and just feeling off?? Is it not being absorbed?? Omg I'm freaking out everyone thinks I"m nutso I mean I am a little but this is not in my head it's really happening :( any help or words would be awesome :)))

Hi everyone I am 4 days post op had a revision from lapband to rny on July 26th. I seem to be doing ok a little tired but I guess that's to be expected. Ok so my question is anyone else on any antidepressant ? And if so have you had any problems with it after surgery?? The past 2 days I feel a little withdrawal from my paxil I'm having some brain zaps and just feeling off?? Is it not being absorbed?? Omg I'm freaking out everyone thinks I"m nutso I mean I am a little but this is not in my head it's really happening :( any help or words would be awesome :)))

They had to adjust my meds due to lack of absorption.

Ok so it is normal than ugggh I knew I was going to have a problem. All my doctors including my psych said no way it will be fine!!! I can't get in to see my dr until the 10th maybe I will take a pill and a half see if that helps?? I don't know what to do I know I don't wanna feel like this :( how are you doing since it has been adjusted??

Ok so it is normal than ugggh I knew I was going to have a problem. All my doctors including my psych said no way it will be fine!!! I can't get in to see my dr until the 10th maybe I will take a pill and a half see if that helps?? I don't know what to do I know I don't wanna feel like this :( how are you doing since it has been adjusted??

Crush your pill.. It really helps. Still adjusting sleep meds, others are doing ok.Don't let anyone tell you it isn't real!

Thank you so much for the responses I kinda feel alone when it comes to this!!! I tried crushing it this morning I almost threw up!!! Any good suggestion on how to crush and what to take it with???

Thank you so much for the responses I kinda feel alone when it comes to this!!! I tried crushing it this morning I almost threw up!!! Any good suggestion on how to crush and what to take it with???

Try a little applesauce

Try mixing it with applesauce or yogurt anything soft & mushy will work ,that helped me, but I forgot your just a few days post op can you have Jello? ? I seem to remember that was something I could eat tight after surgery. I hope this helps, Just a fyi after 6 months post op I'm off my anti depressants,& am only taking my meds for panic disorder,I also take heavy duty pain med's for my chronic RA, after surgery I had to stop other meds & went through withdrawals, my Dr put me on Clonidine it was a life saver, I took it for 2wks & I was much better until the adjusted my meds Sorry I'm kind of alone so I tend to ramble on when I reply to a post . I just like to try to help. Peace, Mary

Thank u so much for the response!!! I appreciate it so much I feel alone in this struggle. I am only 4 days post op and tried crushing and taking with Jello omg it was awful!!! I take antidepressant paxil for my panic disorder I have had for like 7 years now I can't be without my meds I'm not having a problem with my Xanax just the paxil seems to be giving me an issue.,.. I know I'm getting a little bit but def not the full dose!!!! I honestly don't know how I'm gonna get these crushed pills down and I ramble to Mary lol

I didn't have issues right after surgery but right now I'm weaning off my cymbalta and feel absolutely horrible. The brain zaps are the worst.

Omg...I take paxil too and I know the brain zaps very well, I didnt know there was an issue with absorptiion with meds although it makes sense. I am having surgery thursday, now Im worried about this...dont the doc;s know this can happen and adjust accordingly??

Funny until reading these post I couldn't explain what I was having and now I can. I don't take antidepressants but I do take ambien for insomnia. I have taken it for about 2 years. just had surgery rny april 10. Now I am having what I thought was short term memory loss. I have a delay in thought processing information. Have just put in a call to my surgeon but until they call back just figured I would continue typing this since I had started it as my brain caught up with me. :wacko:

Now I have to call primary which I just saw her on 19th. I know she is going to make me stop taking it but I guess if I start weaning myself off it I will hopefully see a difference in the delay and like she told me that I may not need it since surgery. I did fall asleep one night without taking it, and now it is just like a habit of taking my other meds I take it routinely. Guess I will start tonight and cut it into 4 pieces and take 3 and see how it goes. Back in school for LPN to RN program can't afford for all my brain cells to not be firing.

I am really worried about this postop issue... I have a big depression history and hide it. So i started taking 5htp to boost my serotonin and gingko biloba. Already was taking effexor. I sure hope i get through okay - doing whatever i can to prepare.

I am going to my psych on the tenth in the mean time I am going to try and take a half a pill more see if it helps :( this sucks and let me tell you guys I asked if this was going to be an issue from the beginning and all the drs said the same thing you should have no problems!!! I don't get it!!! Ugggh this sucks :(

yes it does! I wonder i everyone has this problem or if it is random?