Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Docs thinking i am dumping all the time

I am 13 months post op and have had diarrhea since my surgery. Today I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy to check out what is going on. My doc said the following:

1. My pouch is really really small.

2. It does not really resemble a pouch it is closer to a tube - it goes from my esophagus pouch right to my small intestine.

3. He believes since it is so small that as soon as I eat my food is going straight to the small intestine without being absorb properly.

4 as a result of that he believes I am constantly dumping.

Now this was a GI doc and not my surgeon. I have not talked with my surgeon yet.

His diagnosis seems right to me. I don't have a feeling of fullness for very long, and seem to be hungry quickly sometimes. I'm not sure what foods I really need to avoid as I did not have to go through food classes prior to surgery.

Please help!

I am 13 months post op and have had diarrhea since my surgery. Today I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy to check out what is going on. My doc said the following:

2. It does not really resemble a pouch it is closer to a tube - it goes from my esophagus pouch right to my small intestine.

3. He believes since it is so small that as soon as I eat my food is going straight to the small intestine without being absorb properly.

Now this was a GI doc and not my surgeon. I have not talked with my surgeon yet.

His diagnosis seems right to me. I don't have a feeling of fullness for very long' date=' and seem to be hungry quickly sometimes. I'm not sure what foods I really need to avoid as I did not have to go through food classes prior to surgery.

Please help!

[/quote']

I thought I was dumping all the time, but then it seems to be lactose intolerance. But today I had no dairy but I ate a boneless buffalo wing and I'm back on the toilet. The only thing that seems to keep me from having diarrhea is having the green smoothies from my nutribullet.

I have taken away dairy in my diet, but no change. I also tried fiber pills and no change. What was working for a little while was taking my B12 sublingual. As long as I took that I was regular, but that does not work any more. GI doc gave me meds that are helping, but I really want to get off meds if I can.

Sounds like you have mechanical failure. You are lacking a stoma. Do you have access to your medical records that might indicate whether your surgeon did not do this correctly or if you've stretched it.

I have not talked to my surgeon yet and I could not have stretched it as this has been going on since right after my surgery. Plus my GI doc said everything looked normal just really really small pouch.

If all of the food you eat is essentially passing directly into the intestine with little or no digestion taking place in the pouch, I don't think it is a question of what foods to avoid. Essentially anything you eat is going to pass into the intestine undigested. Definitely time to get together with your surgeon and get his/her thoughts on options to correct the problem. And I would likely seek a second opinion, preferably from another bariatric surgeon, before proceeding.

This is the first time I've heard of a case like yours. You would be doing all of us a great service by keeping us informed of what you learn as you explore options.

If all of the food you eat is essentially passing directly into the intestine with little or no digestion taking place in the pouch' date=' I don't think it is a question of what foods to avoid. Essentially anything you eat is going to pass into the intestine undigested. Definitely time to get together with your surgeon and get his/her thoughts on options to correct the problem. And I would likely seek a second opinion, preferably from another bariatric surgeon, before proceeding.

This is the first time I've heard of a case like yours. You would be doing all of us a great service by keeping us informed of what you learn as you explore options.[/quote']

Thanks DL I was hoping you would reply as you are very knowledgable.

I am waiting on my biopsy results before scheduling an appointment with my surgeon. I want to make sure there is no other possibility. My GI doc is very perplexed at my case. Since my problems seemed to occur once I got the surgery. However he said at my initial visit that I must be absorbing something as my weight loss has leveled off and I am not still losing.

I have seen my surgeons office about this at the beginning and they said it was because I was eating carbs, but I told the nurse practitioner that could not be the cause as I had it when I was on pure liquids.

My questions to you are

Since I am not sure if I am normal or not - after you eat how long do you feel full and satisfied?

Are your BM normal like before surgery?

How many BMs do you have most days?

Thanks so much!

You're certainly welcome music. Wish I could be more help. To answer your questions:

- How long I feel full depends somewhat on what I eat but as a general rule, two to three hours.

- Completely normal

- One. Regular as clockwork.

Your GI obviously makes a good point - you must be absorbing nutrients or you'd be losing weight. Are you at (or reasonably close to) your goal weight? Have you had blood tests recently? Is you Vitamin profile normal? Are you hydrated? Dehydration is always a concern with prolonged diarrhea.

Please keep in mind that I am NOT a doctor. But I do a considerable amount of research and I'll be glad to see if I can come up with anything that might at least give you some ideas to explore. Will let you know if I find anything. I can imagine how frustrating it must be but stay positive. There are a lot of very skilled doctors out there and I'm confident you'll find one that can help!

You're certainly welcome music. Wish I could be more help. To answer your questions:

- How long I feel full depends somewhat on what I eat but as a general rule' date=' two to three hours.

- Completely normal

- One. Regular as clockwork.

Your GI obviously makes a good point - you must be absorbing nutrients or you'd be losing weight. Are you at (or reasonably close to) your goal weight? Have you had blood tests recently? Is you Vitamin profile normal? Are you hydrated? Dehydration is always a concern with prolonged diarrhea.

Please keep in mind that I am NOT a doctor. But I do a considerable amount of research and I'll be glad to see if I can come up with anything that might at least give you some ideas to explore. Will let you know if I find anything. I can imagine how frustrating it must be but stay positive. There are a lot of very skilled doctors out there and I'm confident you'll find one that can help![/quote']

I know your not a doc, and knew you did a lot of research.

I have met my personal goal, and overall happy with my weight loss. Need to have a little extra skin removed, but most of us do.

I have bi-monthly blood work done as I have rheumatoid arthritis and my doc keeps a close eye on things. However for my Vitamin profile it has been maybe 6 months. I don't think I am dehydrated as I keep an eye on that because of my diarrhea.

I have found that after I eat a large meal (or what i now consider a large meal) I can usually wait about 30 minutes and feel empty in my stomach. I am trying real hard to figure out is that my stomach or brain talking.

Any research you do would be greatly appreciated.

His diagnosis seems right to me. I don't have a feeling of fullness for very long' date=' and seem to be hungry quickly sometimes. I'm not sure what foods I really need to avoid as I did not have to go through food classes prior to surgery.

Please help!

[/quote']

I agree with Don.get a second bariatric opinion. You could have a problem with the stoma or pouch. I worry you're getting your nutrients.