Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't eat bread!

I am with ya! I would KILL for a PB & bananna sandwhich, but can't eat the bread, I would love to though. You give and take with the band and you get to take away fat. I like that! :) SO I gave up bread to take away weight.

I'm a little surprised you are even trying to eat the things you mentioned.....it's a little early for that. Most people are instructed to eat liquids for 2-3 wks, mushies 2-3 wks, soft foods for a while, then ease gently into meat and veggies. I'm wondering what else they didn't tell you - They did tell you to eliminated all carbonated drinks, didn't they?

As for bread.....do yourself a favor and let that pain burn itself into your brain. You'll be better off forgetting bread both for the pain it causes (you don't want to ever PB or throw up if you can help it at all....it can cause the band to slip, then you've got a problem) and for the calories/carbs it contains. Sorry....someone should have told you beforehand, but if you are serious about losing weight....it's a GOOD thing!!

I am almost a year out, I've had one bite of bread and suffered for it. I've also had one bite of pizza (it was dry crust so thought it might work...ha!!...it felt like I'd swallowed a pair of scissors). However, on the positive side.....I've lost almost 120 pounds in 11 months. IT'S ALL WORTH IT, SWEETIE!!! You can do it!!!

I can't eat rice, Pasta or bread. I can however have wheat crackers. I eat my chicken salad, tuna salad and egg salad on crackers. I like wheat thins, or light Ritz. I have 4 or 5 crackers and 6-8 oz of salad. Lat month I had half of a grilled cheese sandwich and called the next day to schedule a fill, knowing it was needed. When I went in for the fluro, I was "wide open". I was indeed ready for a fill. My hubby still teases me that he is gonna tell me band doc that I had a grilled cheese sandwich, knowing that bread is forbidden. Pasta and rice are instant pain for me, rice caused me a 4 hour PB one time, I have sworn off rice for life.

For those that say it's too soon for the foods you are trying, I was only on liquids for 1 week, then mushies for a week and then soft graduating to solids over the course of the next week. At 3 1/2 weeks out I was eating meatloaf and rotisserie chicken. Each doctor gives different post-op diets, stick to what you were given. ~Mandy

Hi -- I just posted a similar comment on the bread/pasta/rice thread. I've been banded for 10 months now, and find bread to be a problem most of the time. When I was first banded and after my mushy stage, I could eat tuna or egg salad on a "slice" of wasa bread. If I took small bites and chewed them really well, it went down ok. But these days, I don't even buy bread or wasa bread anymore. If I eat starches, I opt for Kashi TLCs in very small quantities or small bowls of cereal/oatmeal.

I'm 17 months out and I still can't eat bread without drinking (and we all know that's a big NO NO) I stay away from it and stick with the little 100 calorie packs of South Beach diet whole wheat crackers to go with my tuna or chicken. Because I also tend to feel a little stuck when I eat any deli meat, sandwiches are pretty much out anyway so I stick with tuna, chicken, lean cuisine or south beach diet dinners at lunch.

For the poster who can't eat pizza, I can't either, not even the thin crust. It bothers me quite a bit.

It is so weird that some of us cant eat bread, but can eat other things.

I cannot eat bread of any type unless I want to have (or feel like Im having) a heart attack. But what really freaks me out is that I can eat reese cups, doritos, etc....without one problem but other things make me so sick. I finally understand what one person was talking about when I first got banded....they considered taking a spit cup around with them....ha ha ha

They just considered carrying a spit cup???? I do carry a spit cup! I have a little insulated bag that I carry Protein Snacks in....but it also has a paper cup lined with paper towels in itl It has come in handy more than once. I also keep one by my bed....for a while I had trouble waking up with acid reflux.

:o I was also addicted to bread visions of my homemade rolls drenched in butter frequently invade my dreams.BUT after trying to eat them once,twice,and a third time! The after effects ARE NOT I repeat are not worth the moment of satisfaction.I will have a couple of the mini bagel chips when I have that bread craving and so far that is working for me.I no longer can eat rice but I can eat a little Pasta if I have alot of meat sauce and cut into really small pieces.

No bread- crackers if I HAVE to , no Pasta or very limited. I am using the soy noodles that look like pasta. no rice. the swelling and pain are NOT WORTH IT!! I do not want to put my band at risk- I plan to die with it at the age of 90!!

i'm glad to hear that not being able to eat bread is a sign of good restriction. i can't do soft breads, but can do toasted rolls or bread. I can also do tortilla in very small bites.

I tried a bite of my daughters ramen noodles and oh no cannot do that. but i can do spaghetti. so that's weird.

I can also do white rice fine too.

I have to tell you, I absolutely cannot eat bread either, and I have missed it so much. In January, I got overfilled. I messed up and kept thinking it would get better and didn't go to the doctor until a week later. By then, I was severly dehydrated as I could not even keep liquids down and had spent a great deal of time vomiting. As a result, I had a slight slip of my band. So, my doctor unfilled me. First off, I am happy to report that worked, my band is back in place and I have been filled again. But, three days before my fill we went to the bud shoot-out in Daytona. Well, unfortunately they just do not have a lot of bandster friendly foods at the track. They had a checkers, so I got a cheeseburger from there figuring I would just eat the meat. But once I opened it, I thought, wow, I haven't had a cheeseburger in almost a year. I was wide open and figured I could eat the bread, and I did! It was wonderful. My hubby thought I had lost it because I kept raving about how that was the best burger I ever had. I only ate about half of it, and I took it real slow and it took about 45 minutes to eat what I did, but I loved it, enjoyed every minute of and don't regret it one bit. Now that I am back to being restricted, bread is once again a no-no food.< /p>