Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't eat bread!

Hey Everyone!

I am on day 3 of solids and i'm having a really hard time eating. I find it is most difficult when I eat bread. Today I ate 2 - 3 bites of a sandwich and I had horrible pain in my chest! At one point I thought I was going to throw up but I "slimed" about 3 times and then felt better. Later I ate dinner chicken & rice and agin the pain started to come back. Is this going to happen everytime I eat? I know this sounds ridiculous but I love bread! I want to be able to eat bread! does anyone know if it will get better later? I thought I was chewing enough and slowly but who knows! also do I need to go back on liquids because slimmed? :omg:

Thanks for listening! I wouldn't say I not happy I got the band I just think it is a bigger adjustment and harder than I thought it would be! i have lost 24 pounds and was banded on 01/29/07 so that part is great!!

I'm like you - I love bread. But I was told that any bread I eat in the future will probably need to be toasted to get the moisture out of it, or it will cause me problems.

I was also told that if I'm going to try bread, to try the very high grain breads.

Edit: I was also told that rice could be a problem as well, and it's pretty much bad carbs anyway.

bread and white rice are two of the foods I learned that I should stay away from after my banding. My pre-op classes made it abundantly clear that these are two foods at the top of my "foods I may possibly never eat again" list. Both of them swell a great deal after ingestion, which will cause the pain you described, and both form a paste-like consistency that make it very difficult to pass through your opening, regardless of how well they are chewed.

Some people have reported a little more success with bread if they toast it heavily before eating it. And brown rice is much easier for your new stomach to digest.

I can eat bread, but I had a schedule with solids, I was very slow and careful about it. It was months before I ate bread, its a very common difficult food and personally, I wouldnt be trying to eat it at this stage. You may be able to in a few weeks time when the swelling has completely gone.

Dont try too many things at once, take it very slowly to avoid blockages and PB's.

bread, rice, and Pasta are all notorious for causing trouble. There was a long period of time where I just couldn't eat any bread at all. I can eat some now, and some Pasta and some rice. I try not to eat any of them too often, but bread is the most troublesome of the three.

I would stick to meat and veggies for now..

This may not be much comfort to you now, but the fact is our tastes change after banding. We tend to stop wanting things that don't go down well. We are sort of like worms in the T-maze. Once we get shocked a few times when we "turn left" toward bread and rice, pretty soon we just prefer turning right, if you see what I mean. This may seem depressing right now if you are craving bread, but in the long run it's probably a good thing.

Hi Mom of 3 :biggrin1:

Bread and rice are definately a no no. When you were given your deit wasn't that explained. :) Especially after just comming of mushies.:) Wraps are better and pitta bread but i give it a few months before you try them give your band time to relax and your stomach time to adjust. Hope this helps LANA

I haven't had a slice of bread (or pizza) for over two years. It turns into a golf ball right in the middle of my chest. And I was the bread queen, pre-band.

Carlene, I had to laugh at your post because Joy is considered (in our family circle) as the queen of the "burnt" bread. The saying is, "Joy is burning the bread, again." LOL

I can eat bread, rice, pasta...most things---except donuts!!! However if the bread in the sandwich took you to a point of sliming, you likely had some swelling. So ideally you should go back to liquids, or at least mushies, for several hours anyway, to allow your stomach time to recover from the stress it went through trying to pass the bread (or whatever). If you try to eat something too soon, it is hard to tell whether it is another offending item, or whether the swelling got you. It canbegin an evil cycle of eat, PB, eat, PB....not a good thing!!!

Take it very slow, avoid the bread for awhile, and slowly add things, being SUPER careful to chew....and avoid ALL liquids if you are going to try a bread type of thing. Even being able to eat all of the things I mentioned above---I cannot have been drinking for about a half an hour before eating them, or about an hour after---or they swell and OUCH!!!!

Hang in there, give your tummy a break, and try it again slowly....

good luck!

Kat

"I can't eat bread".....what's the problem? In my opinion, that's a good thing. You'll learn to adjust without it and that will be one less thing to avoid.

Good Luck!

I can't eat bread even if it toasted, I f I really feel like a sandwich, I can manage part of a wrap but only if it is toasted. I also fnd that if I do pb, slime or get the pain in the chest after eating, it takes a while to get back to normal. I don't pb often theses days but if it does I go back to fluds for 24 hrs then mushy for 24hours before going back to my normal foods. I definately get some inflammation so I have leart to be careful.

As for being worried that you can't eat bread- you may be able too but t would not be one of the early solid foods I would suggest for a bandster. I thought I would really miss bread but not anymore! I agree with the comments that you food tastes can change post band, my certainly have.

One of the first things my surgeons office asks me when doing a fill assesment is "can you still eat bread? " If I say yes, she says, "well let's put a stop to that" (provided the other indicators don't say tight enough). Most people with good restrictin cannot eat bread, very well toasted toast maybe. There are some exceptions, but I wouldn't count on being an exception. I am glad I can't eat bread, it's loaded with empty calories and carbs that make you hungrier for the things that are bad for you. Eat the insides of the sandwich, the meat and cheese and lettuce, the good stuff :)

i haven't tried it. I want to and think I could kill for a PB&J sandwhich but i dont want to try and find out that i don't have a problem with bread - cuz then i will go over board. so i stay away but man i miss it sometimes esp on the weekends when i used to bake a loaf....

i did have some of a croissant a few weeks ago with a little turkey and that was fine. i want to try a tortilla or rice but figure i better stay away.