Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was so ready so determine had it all plan out for August 2014 having my plastic surgery. Then had to change it due to my kids graduating. From August to June 2014 very doable.... Did all my calculations.

Guess what? I'm 2,200 short. My mother owe me 1,000 she keeps saying she will pay & I'm yet to see a nickel from her. Each month I keep saying maybe this is the month she will pay something but nothing happens.

My hubby owes me 5,900 ( was 6,000) he started paying but see I can't pressure him why? He is paying all the bills & it's not easy to have extra at the end of the month. He will be giving me the entire income tax refund so I can put it toward my surgery. I haven't added that to my plastic surgery fund since its not income tax time yet. I know once I get it I will have more then enough for plastic surgery.

The problem is right now... I don't know if I should leave a down payment of 5,000 toward surgery. I will have this money shorty but I'm also thinking will it make much of a difference if I just go next year 2 months before I plan to have surgery and leave 20,000 down payment then pay 1 week before surgery the 3,000 and be done with that.

My daughter inform me she wants to attend college & even with a scholar ship you have to pay thousands of dollars. I'm willing to pay for half her college after I'm done with my surgery. Idk how she will come up with her half but I'm willing to help her out. So I'm hopeing I get the SSD so it's less stress for me cuz now I'm a mother before anything & I must help my child out.

Ok I'm breathing now. This will pass but gonna freak out once I see January 2014 counting the months lmbo

Tell her to apply for grants. Loans have to be paid back but grants don't. If she can get some kind of financial aid it'll help both her and you out a lot. Also there are TONS of scholarships out there to be applied for, most aren't known about widely. She should talk to her high school guidance counselor or a financial advisor for the college she wants to attend. They can get her a list of any scholarships and grants.

Also, she can apply for student loans, (they are a pain in the ass and if she can get grants or scholarships to cover I wouldn't do it)

I'm paying for school with loans, because I don't qualify for any grants (my parents make too much). Also have her to talk with a financial aid adviser at the school, they can help find a bunch of options for her.

And also warn her about the dangers of F*cking up the first semester, she can get all of her aid taken away with just one mistake.

Thankyou very very very much :) I told my daughter about the grant she is excited. She found out she has to apply when she graduate senior year in high school.

Loans should only be a last resort. It could take years and years to pay them back. Get as much covered by scholarships and grants as you can before even considering loans. They are available, though, if needed. There is plenty of help out there, you just have to dig deep for it. Good luck :)

Oh! Tell her to make sure she knows all the terms & conditions of the grants she's applying for. Usually there are restrictions, such as you have to take a minimum number of classes/credits per semester to qualify. I think I'm done now lol

I've been paying my loans for 9 years now. Finally have under a thousand left!

Make sure she chooses a degree that'll make her employable!

You don't want her to spend a lot of money on education and end up with no job and large loan payments. Both my twins ended up with that problem.

My daughter wanted so bad to be a marine biologist. She did real well, got a lot of grants and subsidized loans, deans list all the time, did a semester abroad in Bermuda, did research with a scientist there and got published, and graduated in '09 with a BS in Marine Biology. She worked a few different jobs that were grant funded but when the grants ran out (grants are the first to go in a bad economy) she would be out of work again. Last year she'd had enough and went back to the university and is working on a clinical biology degree. She started her internship at RI hospital two days ago. This time next year she'll have a genuine paying job - Glory hallelujah and amen!!!!!!!

My other daughter got her BS in Wildlife Conservation Biology. Same thing - deans list, some grants and subsidized loans. She's now a part time receptionist in a Mercedes dealership and she does wildlife rehabilitation on the side. She grocery shops in my pantry and can't afford her student loan payments. :-(

Tell your daughter to choose her career wisely. Maybe a trade school would be a good option, too.

All I can say is THANK GOD for GRANDMOTHERS!!!!!

You don't want her to spend a lot of money on education and end up with no job and large loan payments. Both my twins ended up with that problem.

My daughter wanted so bad to be a marine biologist. She did real well' date=' got a lot of grants and subsidized loans, deans list all the time, did a semester abroad in Bermuda, did research with a scientist there and got published, and graduated in '09 with a BS in Marine Biology. She worked a few different jobs that were grant funded but when the grants ran out (grants are the first to go in a bad economy) she would be out of work again. Last year she'd had enough and went back to the university and is working on a clinical biology degree. She started her internship at RI hospital two days ago. This time next year she'll have a genuine paying job - Glory hallelujah and amen!!!!!!!

My other daughter got her BS in Wildlife Conservation Biology. Same thing - deans list, some grants and subsidized loans. She's now a part time receptionist in a Mercedes dealership and she does wildlife rehabilitation on the side. She grocery shops in my pantry and can't afford her student loan payments. :-(

Tell your daughter to choose her career wisely. Maybe a trade school would be a good option, too.

All I can say is THANK GOD for GRANDMOTHERS!!!!![/quote']

Trade school is a great option. I went to school for esthetics and I love doing it although right now I'm not. The economy on the cape isn't good for that type of business. However if I was in Boston average salary is $60,000 a year. Not bad. I have tons of friends that went for cosmetology ( kind of wish I did it instead) and they all do really well. Plus there are medical positions such as medical assistant, phlebotomist, cna. I'm thinking about going back to school for phlebotomy. Lots of options for not a lot of money.

You can always put off surgery, but if your daughter puts off school, she may never go. See what funding is out there. She may have to take out student loans. Education is forever

My daughter wanted so bad to be a marine biologist. She did real well' date=' got a lot of grants and subsidized loans, deans list all the time, did a semester abroad in Bermuda, did research with a scientist there and got published, and graduated in '09 with a BS in Marine Biology. She worked a few different jobs that were grant funded but when the grants ran out (grants are the first to go in a bad economy) she would be out of work again. Last year she'd had enough and went back to the university and is working on a clinical biology degree. She started her internship at RI hospital two days ago. This time next year she'll have a genuine paying job - Glory hallelujah and amen!!!!!!!

All I can say is THANK GOD for GRANDMOTHERS!!!!![/quote']

Wise advice. My son is going to be a lawyer but with a double major in spanish, making him much more employable. My other son is going into internet radio with an emphasis on marketing. My last son is, alas, a firefighter. Many applicantnts for few jobs...he is a volunteer for the time being they will all have to relocate to get employed..

My daughter is a honor role student. She does excellent in school. However some ppl she already know got there scholarship & she didn't get anything. She thinks she is being discriminated for being Hispanic & tan skin. The ppl that have gotten a scholarship are Asian & middle eastern. If she doesn't get a scholarship it's ok like you guys mention she will apply for a grant(she doesn't have to pay it back) and if worst comes to worst she can apply for financial aid which would take a while to pay off but I'm willing to help her as long as she puts her half. She will be entering 11th grade starting September. As we know time flies.

As far as me putting off my surgery to help my daughter pay for college it's not happening. If I'm going to help my daughter out I have to be happy with my self. I can't see my self in her graduation with hanging skin & wearing ugly dress to hide my slim & ugly saggy body. I have to be selfish for once in my self & put my self 1st but this doesn't mean I won't help my daughter it will take time & just like I'm saving money for surgery I will save money to help my daughter. She don't have to go straight to college after high school she an wait a year apply for a grant if she gets approve go with that. She is a tuff cookie & very determine she will get her way I know.

Did you fill out a FAFSA for her? That's the federal form that public colleges and universities base all their financial awards on. You have to fill one out every Feb-march to get financial aid. If you didn't fill one out it's too late to get help for the fall semester, because schools have time deadlines that they need to receive the info by. But it's not too late to do the FAFSA for the spring semester.

Did she apply for grants? A lot of them initially are hard to get. After her first year, if she's an exceptional student, there's a possibility she'll get some grants gifted to her. My marine biologist daughter got boat scholarships (no clue what they are but it was free money) and scholarship gifts from alumni for doing so well in her program.

Also, is there any college planning help in your state? In RI we have free college planning for students. They help parents and students plan for school, navigate confusing rules and procedures, help you find loans and scholarship info, and even proof the students essays. They are a useful tool to help with anything college related.

Have her look to see if she is eligible for Questbridge. http://www.questbridge.org/