Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandster with first time problem

Hi everyone,

Most people on here know me. I've been banded since July 06 and lost 60 pounds in the first 6 months and the last two months I haven't lost anything. I had a slight unfill 2 months ago and then a fill one month ago. Here's the problem I am having and I remember reading on here right before I had surgery that others have had this same thing but I don't remember what to do about it.

I lost sooo well with no problems whatsoever. Now, I am hungry all the time and can eat chips, sweets, no problem but when I go to eat meat, or Proteins, I get stuck with the first bite. If I can wait it out and let it go down without vomiting then I can resume eating with no problem. I'm noticing that I get stuck with first bite everytime I eat so I'm getting into a bad habit of if I get stuck I just will eat something bad for me because it won't get stuck.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated. My surgeon really feels I need a fill because I stay hungry, I'm not losing and I can eat anything and lots of it but I'm having that first bite problem.

I have 1.9cc's in my 4cc's band.

To a lesser degree I have the same problem. I dont ever PB, but the first few bites stick a fair bit and I have to wait. But once I can resume eating, I can eat a pretty much normal person sized portion.

And that's with 3ml in my 4ml band, I just cant figure why I'm not tight at that level. Unless I've miscalculated somewhere along the way.

I've scheduled a fill for next Thursday but I'm in two minds about it.

If your like me there's never as much in there as you think. I thought I had 3.00cc's and I only had 1.9. I've scheduled a fill too for next week and I hope it gets things moving.

I get stuck with the first bite. If I can wait it out and let it go down without vomiting then I can resume eating with no problem.

Yes-- I have always had this problem..the only thing that seems to work is A) have a cup of hot Soup and then wait a little, or :) eat a FEW bites very carefully,then wait about 10 min and resume eating.

It makes it very difficult when I have to eat out.

(I have .4 cc in a 4.0 band.)

Oh yes I know the feeling. I too have been muching on the wrong stuff and this is a hard habit to get out of. I usually drink a warm liquid drink while I wait for my food or let it cool- 1 to 2 cups. This loosens me up. Then I take a small bite a chew a ton. If it is a Protein I know I have problems with I moisten it with Salad Dressing or somethig tomake it slip through. Try this!

Once you have first bite syndrome it typically stays with you. My best advice is since you are going to have it no matter what I would go in for a fill. You shouldn't be hungry as often and you should be only able to eat 1/2c of so. Good luck.

I'm almost a year out and still suffer with this. It is what has been called FIrst Bite Syndrome. My doctor thinks I'm nuts, he says he's never heard of it before. But it happens to me all the time. Once I can let it get down, or PB, then I'm fine. I don't understand it, but I'm learning to live with it.

I"m having sticking problems too! It only happens some times though. I think it's when I'm feeling kind of swollen anyways...ie:hormonal girl problems...and I guess more than just my rings on my fingers get swelled up! I was sick for 2 hours tonight...but finally got some Tomato Soup down---slowly!

There were some folks discussing this a while back. I believe they referred to it as "First Bite Syndrome". Something along the lines of locking up with their first bite from the anxiety of a possible PB or getting stuck. I remember thinking, "Yeah, right!" But I have since witnessed something accustom to this in my wife. She has been having a lot of stress at her job, recently. When she is relating it to me, rehashing and dumping her bucket on me, if we are trying to have a meal, she can forget it. She tightens up like a gnat's a$$ stretched over a 55 gallon barrel. So your stress/anxiety level has a lot to do with it. (my 2 cents worth)

I am so glad I found this! I have the same problem. Dense food I can not eat but mashed potatoes I can eat and eat. I have 4cc's in my band so i don't think I need a fill but do I just live on mushies?? I am so gald I am not the only one with this issue

You know, I found out too that the good for you foods are the hardest to get down, and the softer foods are usually more fatteneing.

Can't win for losing! Yeah, and not losing weight!

First Bite Syndrome.... certainly an appropriate name for it! I don't have alot of stress, but I do have the first bite "ouchies!" I'm a little over a year out and definitely have trouble with the first few bites every meal. I have to consciously eat slowly and take very little bites for about the first 20 minutes. Once I feel it go down, I can resume eating pretty normally, without much problem at all, thus the need to be very careful about what I put in there! (It's a big temptation to eat mushies too often.)

It would be interesting to know physiologically what is happening to the band and my esophogus during that time. Does anyone have a clue about that? I find it helpful to understand the process, helps me get my head around what is happening in my body. Somehow I wonder if it's just a matter of the band "loosening up" after the first swallow goes through. Any other thoughts?

I have first bite syndrome too, and from what I understand it is very common. Even Water gives me first bite in the morning or after a nap. I have to take a few sips then wait a few then I can drink to my hearts content, the sam ewith eating except I'm full after a small amount, but the discomfort goes away. Best thing for me is to be patient or drink something nice and warm first. One thing I have found is that it is not an indicator of my level of restriction at all.