Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update on my appt today...

I am back from my first appt in 8 mos and I got NO FILL! I am actually totally ok with this. We had an hour long discussion of what went wrong in my band journey. I totally LOVE the Nurse Practitioner. He's great, understanding, encouraging and candid. He has taken a total interest in the lap-band patients (where before the surgeon and old nurse practitioner were mostly RNY oriented and didn't have much helpful to add) and you can see that he has learned so much and is so willing to help us all succeed. On my last visit, he was quite new and its obvious that he has learned so much and is ready to share all of his knowledge.

Here is what we decided: I probably am at a perfectly appropriate fill level. I actually have 1 cc, not the .5cc I originally thought I had left. The fact that I have to drink with meals is indicative of several things. I am either over-filled or at a perfect fill level. We won't know this until I attempt to eat 3 oz of lean Protein very slowly and well chewed and a few spoons full of vegetable and do not drink. He also ordered an upper GI to check for placement and to check the emptying of the band. So, I'll do that and that will give us a better picture. He said that he blames the practice (specifically the old NP) for giving me what was definitely an over fill to 1.8cc on my first fill. At that time, I was told that I would not be able to eat enough calories and that I'd need to supplement with Protein Shakes (basically an RNY mentality). He said that the practice has learned so much about what works with lap-band and what doesn't and that when you over tighten someone, it makes the problem worse by causing them to develop adaptive behaviors that allow them to still overeat. He reiterated that we were starting fresh today and that he knew that this could be done. He said to think of it as 5% band and 95% human effort. This isn't what most of us want to hear, but it is what it is and I don't really want to be morbidly obese for the rest of my life either.

The one thing he said that was totally candid but true was that I had two options: Quit drinking with meals or get my band out because it was of no use to me. He said that little ring of plastic is like a ball point pen. If you flip a pen upside down it won't write. No matter how much it pisses you off that it won't write, it just won't. But when you follow the rules, which dictate that you must have the appropriate side pressed to the paper, it works like a charm. Same with the band, if you do what the rules dictate, it works. If not, you are left with a useless piece of plastic. Interesting analogy, but it did make a connection for me.

I am recommitted and I believe I will make this work. I'm done beating my head against the wall. I'm only down 5.5 lbs from my pre-op weight but given the last 8 months, its better than being up 5.5 lbs. So, here we go. Maybe something I've relayed here will make sense to someone else who is struggling. Here's to an easy week with no drinking with meals!!!

good for you, what you posted really helped me....thanks and I hope you start losing very soon

You go girl,

I think you will do this with no problems. I can just tell by the way your thinking. Take one day at a time and don't even sit a drink down with you at your meal. I know it's hard, I have the same trouble wanting to drink with my meals too. Good luck and keep us informed on how your doing.