Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too tight for mushies!

Hello Everyone.

I was hoping someone might have heard/seen/experienced this problem with their band.

I was banded on 12/28/2006. I am still too tight for mushies. They just won't go down. I have been to a well respected lapband doc here locally and he has checked me under fluoro several times and the band is not slipped/agitated at all. I am just a super tight fit.

I have the 10cc Sweedish band and have NO FILLS.

All I can have is liquids. No puddings/applesauces/yogurt as they won't go down. Nothing is stuck in the band.....

What to do?

Any ideas? The weight loss is great! 100+ lbs in less than 2 months but I would like to taste real food again some day. :)

I look forward to anyone's thoughts on this.

Eric

P.S. My fill doc is absolutely stumped too.

Yes I did.

And am continuing to lose rather rapdily.

So while it's great to have lost alot of weight it would be nice to have some food too. :hungry:

That's why I'm hoping somone on here might know or have heard of something.

Eric

How big of a bite are you taking?

Even though its mushy it needs to be small and slow.

Dude, so much for you having bandster hell.

(where you eat too much cause you are hungry because you cant have a fill yet)

Also, the theory is that as you lose weight, you should become more loose. (less fat in the stomach tissue)

I am much more"open" after 4 pm than before.

Also, are you hydrated enough?

I have heard of some people becoming tighter as they become dehydrated.

When I have tried the mushy foods it was always extremely small bites.

Never big bites at all.

My doc said the same thing that the fat around the stomach should disapate and the stomach should loosen up and allow food down but that has not yet happened. He did confirm through fluoro that liquids go down just very very slowly.

I do stay hydrated enough as I drink about 4 bottles of Water a day (16.9 oz bottles) I sip on the Water all day long.

So I don't know what to do now.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

Eric

You have a much more difficult situation compared to me, and you have my sympathy, but in a sense I am also somewhat relieved to read your post. I was banded on 1/17 and I still have so much restriction I can only drink liquids on the morning and, for some reason, in the evening. I am usually able to eat solid foods at lunch time. Like you I have never had a fill. I was starting to get worried that there was something wrong with my band.

I know I can't rely in any way on the diagnosis given to you that your band is OK even though you are totally restricted, but at least it is good to know that this is possible for a person to be restricted to that degree who has never had any fills.

I know that you did not post about your situation so you could provide comfort for others with significant restriction, but it turns out that your story did bring me a little peace of mind.

Good luck to you in getting it sorted out. And it's great to hear that at least you are having totally amazing weight loss right now. In a few weeks or months you'll be under 300! I'm just 14 pounds away from that now myself.

Good luck to you!

I am just astonished that you'v lost 100 pounds in 60 days. I've never heard such a thing, not even with a gastric bypass!! Amazing.

I would be sure to get some Liquid Protein, and maybe some of the Vitamin waters available. I was thinking the same thing, that is should begin loosening as you drop in weight, but man you have already done that!!!

Maybe try a thicker drink at different times of the day....Have you tried a thicker drink...like a Protein Shake, AFTER sipping something warm??? Sometimes that will loosen up the band a bit.

I am glad you are in constant touch with your Dr. He/She can make sure you do not lose your health in the process of trying to become healthy!!!

Wow!!! Do yu even recognize yourself in the mirror?

Are you able to do any physical activity or are you getting to weak for that? I was thinking that may help the stomach itself lose more if you were more active.

I am at a loss---I hope it eases for you soon, losing the weight is awesome, but you need nourishment---more than 4 bottles of Water a day! Does your Dr. know that is all you take in?

Kat

Wow, you definitely have an unusual situation. What incredible weightloss! Do you sip hot liquids prior to eating a meal? My doctor recommends and I have found that it helps to drink hot tea, coffee, etc to help loosen the mucus and open the band. I am too tight to eat the morning but if I drink a cup of coffee I can usually get something down. Best of luck to you!

you situation is unusual. If you can not get down mushies. I reccomend getting yourself some Isopure, it is a Protein Drink and it does come in a clear liquid form like Water. at best you will atleastbegetting in some Protein. Losing that much weight in such a short time and having no protein, you are losing lean muscle mass which we all know rapid wegiht loss and losing lean muscle mass only results in flabby loose skin. Never have I heard oflsoing 100 lbs in 2 months even with gastric bypass

Reading your post made me feel good as well as I was banded inJune 06 and have had a time with my band as well. I have not been able to eat much of anything- I really can't eat anything solid before 5pm. I agree with what people are telling you of drinking warm things to loosen you up. I can rarely have cold thing- bad stomach ache! I live by Unjury and make a shake daily taht consists of milk, honey(calmingon the stomach), cinnamon (helps metabolize sugar), 1 banana( great for reflux, calming on stomach, etc) and splenda and a scoop of unjury vanilla. This is a staple daily. ALso an advantage shake for lunch, lots of Water and everything at room temp. Sometimes broth- but even certain mushies will not go down if they are thick or heavy (like cream). I have learned the hard way. I have also learned that certain foods just wont stay down and need to be "wet" to be digested- chicken and meat- I can not do pork and that is something I don't seem to understand. It has been a true lifestyle change and something I realize I will have to live with. After an upper GI and other tests wew came to the conclusion that stress has caused my stomach to tighten- this is where I take my stress- and i need to find a new way to deal. This has been the hardest thing for me to deal with. Stress could be your culprit as well. Good luck to you and take advantage of this. You can always chew and spit out stuff if you really need to taste things. I missed chewing things and would go to sonic to buy ice to chew on! Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask me!

My guess is that you needed a VG band but got a 10cm instead. I have been in this situation myself - there is no magic light that goes off to indicate what size, it is an educated guess. You can't go on forever on liquids, if the problem doesn't alleviate itself you will have to be switched to a VG.

Good luck,

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Hello Everyone.

I was hoping someone might have heard/seen/experienced this problem with their band.

I was banded on 12/28/2006. I am still too tight for mushies. They just won't go down. I have been to a well respected lapband doc here locally and he has checked me under fluoro several times and the band is not slipped/agitated at all. I am just a super tight fit.

I have the 10cc Sweedish band and have NO FILLS.

All I can have is liquids. No puddings/applesauces/yogurt as they won't go down. Nothing is stuck in the band.....

What to do?

Any ideas? The weight loss is great! 100+ lbs in less than 2 months but I would like to taste real food again some day. :)

I look forward to anyone's thoughts on this.

Eric

P.S. My fill doc is absolutely stumped too.

Dr. C,

Thanks for your reply.

What is the difference between the VG band and the 10cc Sweedish band?

The 10cc Sweedish band is what I have on now. How is the VG band any different and do you think a change in bands MIGHT solve this situation?

Many thanks for all the replies,

Eric