Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

exercising...how to get motivated

Guest Dazzey1977

Guest Dazzey1977

After I get home from work I don't want to do anything, but sit on my bum...I want to start walking but I can't get motivated. How or what do some of you do to get motivated for exercise? Thanks for the help guys.

Well, the way I did it was I just started with a ridiculously short distance - like down the block. I could do it in 15 minutes. I made a commitment to do it every day. I did that until it no longer seemed like exercise at all and then I added a very small amount to it. I repeated this process until eventually I was walking three miles a day and loving it. Every now and then I lapse and have to repeat the process to get going again except now that I'm more used to exercise, I start with a mile.

Believe me if you start very, very slowly, but commit to doing it every day you will soon experience the benefits. You can even start with a five minute commitment if you need to. If you make the beginning amount easy enough for yourself, it will be easier to go ahead and do it rather than argue with yourself about it. And you'll soon develop the habit of exercise.

Nancy

I just want to add that I started experiencing the mental benefits of exercise such as stress relief, mood elevation, and increased energy long before I noticed any physical benefits. But that helped to keep me motivated.

Nancy

I am not anyone to give advise on this subject because I have the same problem. I used to have the excuse of my hurt knee but now it is fine. My excuse now is some mild depression. But I have a friend who does not go home before she goes to Curves. Also I used to take my swimsuit and towel and do Water areobics before I went home. Maybe we could encourage each other .Hey where is Groves texas? I live in the midcities close to Arlington Texas. I am going to walk on my treadmill right now. I got home from work and came straight to my computer. Your post has encouraged me to do something.. Good luck...Janie

Nancy do you walk outside this time of the year. I am in the midcities and the heat index was 104 today. I cannot take the heat. I think I am allways depressed this time of the year because of the heat.. Id really like to know how you handle it...Thanks...Janie

Well, coming from the former "Queen of Coach Potatoes", I never moved outside of the house during the summer here unless absolutely necessary -- going to store, church, dr., etc. I think my "thermostat" is stuck on high 24/7. I never get cold in winter and haven't owned a coat in years. But several months before my surgery, I started to conscientously walk almost every day. Three times around our block = 1 mile. It was pitiful! I made it one time, huffing and puffing, my ankle tops feeling like they would "blow up" - they hurt so bad. Now I've started riding my bike regularly. I find it easiest to exercise right after dinner. Last night, I rode 13 miles - in our Texas heat. I never would have believed I'd be out moving in July and August! My ankles don't hurt like they did. I have arthritis and I've noticed I hurt even more when I don't exercise. I'm very fortunate that I have my husband as my exercise partner. A partner really helps keep you motivated. Just take Baby Steps - a block or so to start, then each time go a little further. You'll surprise yourself how quickly you'll progress. Best of luck!:)

Nana you are doing a lot for being only 12 days out. Be careful. I had that little pinching pain in the beginning but it went away. My port sounds like its in the same spot. I really baby my port cause I am a little afraid of hurting it. ...Janie

Nana, you're doing amazing to just be out of surgery! Please do be careful! I was a chicken and didn't start bike riding until my 4 wk. post-op visit. I didn't ride 13 mi. all at once. It's taken time to build up to. I don't ride hard, usually 9 mph. But I've been trying to go 11-13 mph. (That's about top speed right now.)

Bellydancing!! Now that's a unique exercise! Post pics!:)

I bought an "exercise inflatable ball" and dvd yesterday. Has anyone used one of those?

Janie - Actually, no I don't walk outside usually. I bought a treadmill not too long ago. But when I used to work the evening shift I walked outside at noon - even in summer. Probably not too bright, but I never got heat stroke or anything. I've also been riding my bike lately. It's much cooler and it's fun. I know it is very hard to motivate yourself to walk when you feel depressed, but exercise is very good for depression. I struggle with depression from time to time and it takes a great effort to get started, but it always lifts my mood at least a little.

Nancy

Oprah once said something like: Motivation doesn't come before you exercise...it comes from having exercised. Doing it once--and feeling the way you feel when it's done--is what makes you want to do it more.

I kind of get it. When I was young, I used to think that I needed to get motivated to do the dishes. Well, actually, a clean sink is what motivates me to do the dishes. I never have developed a desire to complete the act of doing the dishes. I HAVE developed a desire to have the peace and serenity I experience when I don't live in a pig sty. And I got that feeling the last time I washed the dishes. So, what motivates me to do the dishes? Nothing. But I AM motivated to have the serene feeling I get when I have a clean kitchen, so I wash the damned things.

Does that make sense?

Originally posted by Nana~

I think they are fun, sometime I sit on mine at the computer desk just because it keeps you from slouching!

Nana~

Well, I'm certainly glad to know those exercise balls are good for something! I figured it wouldn't take up a lot of room if I decide not to use it.:)

Because of this post I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes and after I did some housework I had not planned on doing. I am going to try to do this every night that i am home. YEA..Thanks everyone...Janie

Check out this motivation: I had zero desire to exercise today. I had no intentions. But I had to walk next door to my neighbors for a quick minute, and when I was outside, the weather was amazing, so I got a sudden urge to walk. I ended up walking about an hour then coming home & doing arms & drinking extra Water.

Point here is maybe we just need to walk out the front door in our underwear and let the sun & sky work its magic... hey, it worked for me!

I thought I was the only one that struggled with dishes! My exact thoughts!

I gotta hijack this thread for two seconds, because Marie, you amaze me. You have taken off running with this band and nothing can stop you! I remember your first (very sad) screen name and that frustrated Marge Simpson avatar. Now look at you go! Bravo!!!

Now, back you your regularly scheduled thread.

I just want to encourage each and everyone to find something that you like to do -walking, bike riding, treadmill, belly dancing,

work out machines, exercise tapes, etc. Try it a little bit, then gradually increase your output. You'll be amazed at how soon you will be doing an amazing amount of exercise. It all starts with one foot in front of the other, slowly, and not too far. Then as you feel better, you can increase your exercise.

I didn't get to exercise tonight. Hubby's sick. I feel the difference. My legs feel like they're drawing up. I feel tense and aggitated. I should have gone on by myself. But I felt like I needed to be here taking care of him.

Lisa, thank you so much for that gracious pat on my back. Yes, I was a pitiful, whipped down hound dog. My original screen name was 4x4x4 because that's exactly how I felt about myself. I don't think that I could have gotten any lower if I'd really wanted to. I have to give this board a huge amount of credit for helping me turn around physically and mentally. (Thus the name change to New Hope). Because I do feel like I have New Hope, a chance to lilve a normal, healthy, happy life. I'm very fortunate in that my husband rides w/me and keeps me motivated.

My wish is happiness, serenity, and good health to all of us!