Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doubting decision in final hour

So, my surgery date is Sept. 3rd and I feel really bitter sweet about it. I'm having second thoughts about going through this. I'm afraid of vomiting/dumping, loose skin, etc. The good thing is a low bmi, in which the surgeon only wanted me to lose 2 ibs, and Iost 12 so far. The reason I wanted to have the surgery wasn't because of my weight it was to get rid of my diabetes, hbp, gerd, sleep apnea. I've made a last bet with myself that if I lose 20 ibs, by the end of August, I will not go through with it. If I lose the 20 ibs, I will only need to lose roughly 40 ibs more to get to the weight the surgeon estimated me after wls. Has anyone had these kinds if thoughts or made last minute rationales?

Thanks for any and all responses.

So, my surgery date is Sept. 3rd and I feel really bitter sweet about it. I'm having second thoughts about going through this. I'm afraid of vomiting/dumping, loose skin, etc. The good thing is a low bmi, in which the surgeon only wanted me to lose 2 ibs, and Iost 12 so far. The reason I wanted to have the surgery wasn't because of my weight it was to get rid of my diabetes, hbp, gerd, sleep apnea. I've made a last bet with myself that if I lose 20 ibs, by the end of August, I will not go through with it. If I lose the 20 ibs, I will only need to lose roughly 40 ibs more to get to the weight the surgeon estimated me after wls. Has anyone had these kinds if thoughts or made last minute rationales?

I have diabetes, high blood pressure and mild sleep apnea. When I lost weight on weight watchers I got down to 155 lbs. The doctors had assured me if I lost the weight diabetes would go away as well as the high blood pressure. At that time I didn't have sleep apnea. The down side the two big problems didn't go away that being diabetes and high blood pressure. I just had my lapband removed because it slipped but I had lost 50 lbs., still have diabetes and HBP and only have 50 more to go. I probably could go through weight watchers and do it again but I would rather have the tool that will help keep it off plus not being a diabetic. You see just because you lose weight doesn't mean you still will not be a diabetic, the research just hasn't come in why the RNY put most of the patient into remission for their diabetes. But it does have something to do with the surgery as many people leave the hospital diabetic free. If you want to just lose on your own, I wish you good look, but don't think all your medical problems will go away. Good luck with your decision.

You should feel like you have done everything possible before doing weight loss surgery. The surgery can be a100% success, but you have to go though a lot of physical And mental changes. If you feel like you can do it on your own, try it! There is always time for surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

So' date=' my surgery date is Sept. 3rd and I feel really bitter sweet about it. I'm having second thoughts about going through this. I'm afraid of vomiting/dumping, loose skin, etc. The good thing is a low bmi, in which the surgeon only wanted me to lose 2 ibs, and Iost 12 so far. The reason I wanted to have the surgery wasn't because of my weight it was to get rid of my diabetes, hbp, gerd, sleep apnea. I've made a last bet with myself that if I lose 20 ibs, by the end of August, I will not go through with it. If I lose the 20 ibs, I will only need to lose roughly 40 ibs more to get to the weight the surgeon estimated me after wls. Has anyone had these kinds if thoughts or made last minute rationales?

Thanks for any and all responses.[/quote']

I was in your same boat and paddling with those same paddles. I started off at 259 and was working with a dietitian to lose the weight while the approval process of my surgery was under go. I told myself I was going to work hard to lose the weight and just keep surgery in my back pocket for my last resort. If I need it when its approved I'll do it but if I can get a good 40 lbs off and I'm feeling better I'll just focus on the next 40 and I'm good.

Well I got that first 40 off and I STILL had high blood pressure, pre diabetic, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, joint, back and shoulder oddest. My Dr told me that I was doing awesome but a good chance these issues wouldn't change until after surgery. Apparently during surgery certain nerves are cut that actually reset a few genes in your body that resets you diabetic issue, resets your metabolism and also your cholesterol and sometimes your asthma which is why so many people leave the hospital in two days not having to ever take need for these issues again.

I was one of them. I went in the hospital taking 7 different meds and left out with only 1... Ambian. Well also my recovery need but only took those for a week.

Before surgery I was even below weight for goal weight frame to be in. I think I was at 34 bmi. My Dr time me to stop dieting 2 weeks before and increase my cals a little. I didn't have to do the pre-op 2 week diet... Only the 48 hour pre surgical cleanse.

Oh and let me tell you I cried my eyes out that week. I was so torn between doing the surgery or just keep trying on my own.

I decided to do it and Im only 4 months post op and already 10 lbs from my goal weight. Now Im ordered to try and pig out a little to slow my weight loss down and spread those last 10-15 lbs out over the next 8 months.

I thought I'd NEVER hear that. LOL

~Leticia **HW: 259**PreOp: 216**SURG: 3/21/13 **Discharged @: 221** 3 mons post op. CW: 165.0 lbs. --- Only 15 lbs to my goal ---

I have diabetes' date=' high blood pressure and mild sleep apnea. When I lost weight on weight watchers I got down to 155 lbs. The doctors had assured me if I lost the weight diabetes would go away as well as the high blood pressure. At that time I didn't have sleep apnea. The down side the two big problems didn't go away that being diabetes and high blood pressure. I just had my lapband removed because it slipped but I had lost 50 lbs., still have diabetes and HBP and only have 50 more to go. I probably could go through weight watchers and do it again but I would rather have the tool that will help keep it off plus not being a diabetic. You see just because you lose weight doesn't mean you still will not be a diabetic, the research just hasn't come in why the RNY put most of the patient into remission for their diabetes. But it does have something to do with the surgery as many people leave the hospital diabetic free. If you want to just lose on your own, I wish you good look, but don't think all your medical problems will go away. Good luck with your decision.[/quote']

Thanks for putting the reality of this all at the forefront. The reason I voted for the rny over the sleeve, is to put the diabetes into remission. I would be very upset to lose all the weight and have diabetes still. I guess I was thinking that once the weight came off the health issues would go away! Thanks for your response.

You should feel like you have done everything possible before doing weight loss surgery. The surgery can be a100% success' date=' but you have to go though a lot of physical And mental changes. If you feel like you can do it on your own, try it! There is always time for surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk[/quote']

Thanks for your reply. I've been down this road to lose weight for over 20 yrs. Something is different this time, I think my mind set is different. I'm for surely using this month to figure out my plans. In the meantime, I'm working out and eating good. I agree that one goes through a great feal of changes during this time.

OMGOSH, you and I have a lot in common! I too have a low BMI I'm right at 35! i have diabetes, major acid reflux, very high triglycerides. I have been thinking about this for a year now. I'm finally moving forward to get started. I am on an insulin pump. I hate it. I hate everything about diabetes. I am doing this for the positive effects it can have on all my health issues.

I'm nervous as well, it's a BIG step, life as we know if really has to change. But on the other hand, if we continue on the path we are on now, we won't be around long enough to enjoy our lives.

I have a friend who too had many of the health problems like us, she had the surgery and is now a picture of health, no pills no shots. And she still gets to eat things she likes, just in much smaller portions:)

I've tried many times to "diet" but I either don't stick with it or I gain it right back.

My hope is this will be a tool to help me stay on track.

With the diabetes not going away, my dr said they found that if you've had diabetes for 10 years or less, you are more likely to respond more positively to the surgery, but even if you've had it for more than 10 years, you should still see major improvement. I think it has to do with how well your pancreas is still working. Mine works actually just fine, but due to the weight, I've got major insulin resistance.

I would love to continue to chat with you if you decide to go with the surgery! I wish you the very best! Whatever you do decide, don't let diabetes win!

Good Luck!

I am having doubts too- i love this mediterranean diet, barely touch bread anymore and my portions of meat are smaller. I fill up on vegetables. Love zucchini and mushrooms. Lost 35 pounds in4 months. Kinda feel like maybe i could do more on my own, but its a whole hundred pounds yet - and i have to take 25 to 75 units regular insulin per day, and my depression could kick in anytime, at which time i get frustrated and just eat everything in sight again. Sometimes i feel i have to go out for a burger or a donut.

So i am there on the bench with you, waiting for the call.

OMGOSH, you and I have a lot in common! I too have a low BMI I'm right at 35! i have diabetes, major acid reflux, very high triglycerides. I have been thinking about this for a year now. I'm finally moving forward to get started. I am on an insulin pump. I hate it. I hate everything about diabetes. I am doing this for the positive effects it can have on all my health issues.

I'm nervous as well, it's a BIG step, life as we know if really has to change. But on the other hand, if we continue on the path we are on now, we won't be around long enough to enjoy our lives.

I have a friend who too had many of the health problems like us, she had the surgery and is now a picture of health, no pills no shots. And she still gets to eat things she likes, just in much smaller portions:)

I've tried many times to "diet" but I either don't stick with it or I gain it right back.

With the diabetes not going away, my dr said they found that if you've had diabetes for 10 years or less, you are more likely to respond more positively to the surgery, but even if you've had it for more than 10 years, you should still see major improvement. I think it has to do with how well your pancreas is still working. Mine works actually just fine, but due to the weight, I've got major insulin resistance.

I would love to continue to chat with you if you decide to go with the surgery! I wish you the very best! Whatever you do decide, don't let diabetes win!

Good Luck!

Totally agree with you regarding the diabetes. My surgeon recommended the RNY because of my diabetes and I just went on the Omnipod. Of course I have other health problems, which it will help also. In the seminar I attended, the medical field is looking into doing RNY for those people who have type II diabetes but not that much overweight, or morbidly obese. So, think this is a lot better decision compared to the lap band (I had, it failed) and the sleeve. Good luck.

I was in your same boat and paddling with those same paddles. I started off at 259 and was working with a dietitian to lose the weight while the approval process of my surgery was under go. I told myself I was going to work hard to lose the weight and just keep surgery in my back pocket for my last resort. If I need it when its approved I'll do it but if I can get a good 40 lbs off and I'm feeling better I'll just focus on the next 40 and I'm good.

Well I got that first 40 off and I STILL had high blood pressure' date=' pre diabetic, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, joint, back and shoulder oddest. My Dr told me that I was doing awesome but a good chance these issues wouldn't change until after surgery. Apparently during surgery certain nerves are cut that actually reset a few genes in your body that resets you diabetic issue, resets your metabolism and also your cholesterol and sometimes your asthma which is why so many people leave the hospital in two days not having to ever take need for these issues again.

I was one of them. I went in the hospital taking 7 different meds and left out with only 1... Ambian. Well also my recovery need but only took those for a week.

Before surgery I was even below weight for goal weight frame to be in. I think I was at 34 bmi. My Dr time me to stop dieting 2 weeks before and increase my cals a little. I didn't have to do the pre-op 2 week diet... Only the 48 hour pre surgical cleanse.

Oh and let me tell you I cried my eyes out that week. I was so torn between doing the surgery or just keep trying on my own.

I decided to do it and Im only 4 months post op and already 10 lbs from my goal weight. Now Im ordered to try and pig out a little to slow my weight loss down and spread those last 10-15 lbs out over the next 8 months.

I thought I'd NEVER hear that. LOL

~Leticia **HW: 259**PreOp: 216**SURG: 3/21/13 **Discharged @: 221** 3 mons post op. CW: 165.0 lbs. --- Only 15 lbs to my goal ---[/quote']

Leticia,

Your story is inspiring! And what a ride you have been on! Congrats to u for being so close to your goal weight! I appreciate everyone's response to my concerns. It is reassuring to know that I just might be able to get rid of diabetes if I have the surgery. I would be highly upset, if j lost the weight and still have my same health concerns! How would that even be fair!!!

Totally agree with you regarding the diabetes. My surgeon recommended the RNY because of my diabetes and I just went on the Omnipod. Of course I have other health problems' date=' which it will help also. In the seminar I attended, the medical field is looking into doing RNY for those people who have type II diabetes but not that much overweight, or morbidly obese. So, think this is a lot better decision compared to the lap band (I had, it failed) and the sleeve. Good luck.[/quote']

That is interesting that your class said the medical field is heading g in the direction to recommend the surgery for diabetics. That would put a whole new perception on wls!

I am having doubts too- i love this mediterranean diet' date=' barely touch bread anymore and my portions of meat are smaller. I fill up on vegetables. Love zucchini and mushrooms. Lost 35 pounds in4 months. Kinda feel like maybe i could do more on my own, but its a whole hundred pounds yet - and i have to take 25 to 75 units regular insulin per day, and my depression could kick in anytime, at which time i get frustrated and just eat everything in sight again. Sometimes i feel i have to go out for a burger or a donut.

So i am there on the bench with you, waiting for the call.[/quote']

35 Ibs in 4 months is impressive! Good job! 100 more pounds to go, is something to consider. Were u a yo to sister before like I was? I would lose some, gain some, lose some,etc

35 Ibs in 4 months is impressive! Good job! 100 more pounds to go' date=' is something to consider. Were u a yo to sister before like I was? I would lose some, gain some, lose some,etc[/quote']

I mean were u a yo yo dieter like I am

OMGOSH' date=' you and I have a lot in common! I too have a low BMI I'm right at 35! i have diabetes, major acid reflux, very high triglycerides. I have been thinking about this for a year now. I'm finally moving forward to get started. I am on an insulin pump. I hate it. I hate everything about diabetes. I am doing this for the positive effects it can have on all my health issues.

Good Luck![/quote']

ren0318,

OMGOSH' date=' you and I have a lot in common! I too have a low BMI I'm right at 35! i have diabetes, major acid reflux, very high triglycerides. I have been thinking about this for a year now. I'm finally moving forward to get started. I am on an insulin pump. I hate it. I hate everything about diabetes. I am doing this for the positive effects it can have on all my health issues.

Good Luck![/quote']

Ren0318,

I agree with as well, we do have a lot in common! Ive had diabetes for just over 11 years now, as far as I know my pancreas is still in good shape. However, I'm starting to develop complications from diabetes, like neuropathy in my feet and poor eye sight. Diabetes sucks all around! I'm currently taking two different diabetic medications 2x a day. If it were up to my doctor only I would have been on insulin years ago. However, I have been avoiding it because I had some really low blood sugar moments just after I had my son 5 years ago, that I wanted off of it as soon as possible. So, mainly because of being diabetic is the reason I want to have the surgery. I know it is the right thing for me to do, it is just pushing my fears aside to go through with it! I've actually thought about having this surgery for several years, but always brushed the thought away since my bmi is low. However, as the surgeon said to me there are people that are healthier then me but a lot heavier. I happen to be smaller in size, but with a lot of health problems to boot! Lol! How long have u been diabetic? How far along in the process are you? Yes, I would love to continue chatting with you. Keep in touch!

Sue from Livonia, Michigan