Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LIVING IN DURHAM, NC....looking for mentor/buddy...surg date Aug 13

Hello to all,

I am getting ready to begin this wonderful journey into my weight loss....excited, scary, intimidated, relieved...so many emotions. My husband is going to have the surgery as well but not until late Sept. / early October. Both of us are ready for a new beginning.

I have an awesome support system. Family and friends that have had the procedure. But I still would like to have a mentor/buddy online as well...

ANY TAKERS?

I wish you all the best. I am in the Upstate of SC, so not close to you. But I had my surgery exactly one year ago on August 13, 2013.... and I can tell you that it is SO worth it.

I am happy for you and your husband, hope all goes well!!

Hello to all' date='

I am getting ready to begin this wonderful journey into my weight loss....excited, scary, intimidated, relieved...so many emotions. My husband is going to have the surgery as well but not until late Sept. / early October. Both of us are ready for a new beginning.

I have an awesome support system. Family and friends that have had the procedure. But I still would like to have a mentor/buddy online as well...

ANY TAKERS?[/quote']

Where are you having your surgery and who is your doctor. I am in Raleigh. I hd my surgery on June 4th at Durham Regional with D. Sudan. I have had a great recovery so far. Would live to chat more.

Hello! Thank you for responding! I am also having my surgery at DRH. I am seeing Dr. Portenier. Everything is on go. I just found out this week that BCBS is changing their requirements for surgery; so we pushed my husbands surgery up so he wouldn't have to meet the new requirements! He is having his surgery Aug 27...2 weeks after me! My cousin works in the clinic for Dr. P and she had it done Dec. 2011 and has lost over 120 lbs. She feels great and looks good too!!! I am so excited!

How are you doing with your post? Would love to keep in touch

Hello! Thank you for responding! I am also having my surgery at DRH. I am seeing Dr. Portenier. Everything is on go. I just found out this week that BCBS is changing their requirements for surgery; so we pushed my husbands surgery up so he wouldn't have to meet the new requirements! He is having his surgery Aug 27...2 weeks after me! My cousin works in the clinic for Dr. P and she had it done Dec. 2011 and has lost over 120 lbs. She feels great and looks good too!!! I am so excited!

How are you doing with your post? Would love to keep in touch

I am doing well. I have lost 35 pounds so far. I don't really have any issues, other than I am no longer really fond of chicken. So far I am amazed at how recovery has been.

I am glad you got your husbands surgery sooner. The insurance can be a pain.

Will you be attending the support groups? I plan on attending. I think the next one is July 23rd. My son has band, but hopefully I don't need to be there.

I am so excited to hear how well you are doing. I have heard from so many people that their recovery was great. Did you have a lot of pain after your surgery? I have heard that some did not even need to take their pain medicine! I was concerned about the pain meds because Percoset (if that is what they give) upsets my stomach and I know I will not be able to eat after the surgery. So I am hoping that not needing the pain meds holds true for me as well.

The only thing that i am so worried and anxious about is the liquid phases. What was your experience like? What kinds of foods are you eating now?

You are 6 weeks out???

Glad we can keep in touch and can be of support for each other!

I am so excited to hear how well you are doing. I have heard from so many people that their recovery was great. Did you have a lot of pain after your surgery? I have heard that some did not even need to take their pain medicine! I was concerned about the pain meds because Percoset (if that is what they give) upsets my stomach and I know I will not be able to eat after the surgery. So I am hoping that not needing the pain meds holds true for me as well.

The only thing that i am so worried and anxious about is the liquid phases. What was your experience like? What kinds of foods are you eating now?

You are 6 weeks out???

Glad we can keep in touch and can be of support for each other!

I had very minimal pain. I felt as if I had done a ton of situps, of course, I don't really know what that feels like. But, it was not very bad at all. I had worked it up to be horrible! I had my surgery around 2:00pm. I was in my room by 5:30pm. I think I would have been there sooner, but they were out of rooms so they kept me in recovery longer. They gave me some pain meds in recovery through my IV. Once in my room, I asked a nurse when I would be getting up to walk around 8:00pm, and she said I will do that right now. I was scared of what turning over to get out of the bed would feel like, but honestly, it was not very bad at all.

I had a pain pump, but it was hydromorphone. It is 10 times stronger than morphine. I was allowed to push it every 8 minutes for medicine, but I did not push it that often. I would go up to 30 minutes or an hour sometimes.

I have diabetes and my sugar spiked once I was out of surgery. I was disappointed because I went into surgery thinking that i would be able to get rid of my medicines. They had to give me 2 shots of insulin while in the hospital that night.

I went home the next night around 7:30pm.... with only a half of a blood pressure pill. I went in on 6 medicines. It has been amazing to me that my sugar has just leveled out. I did have to add prilosec to my medicines to protect the pouch from ulcers. In my mind, even if the weight doesn't come off I have had success with the surgery! I had a script for phenergan and hydrocodone when I left the hospital.

I was walking only around the house for the first week besides a couple of shopping trips, because it was so humid outside and I was terrified of getting dehydrated. I carry a Water bottle with me everywhere I go and sip constantly.

The liquid stage was not bad at all. You are really not hungry when you come home. My Mom was here and she was making all of my kids favorite things. There were cakes and Cookies, friends were bringing dinner for my family,but I didn't want any of it. I bought little 2 ounce shot cups and kept them beside me with Protein shake and Water. I would alternate between the two the exact way that they told us when with the nutritionist. I also had chicken broth and lots of sugar free popsicles. You won't get in all of your Protein or water in the beginning. It will happen eventually. Its only 2 weeks for liquids, and it is time consuming, but it goes by quickly.

I began eating food at 2 weeks after my post op appointment. I started with a scrambled egg with a laughing cow cheese melted in. I was amazed when I could only eat half of it! There is a list of foods not to eat, but you can pretty much eat alot of different things to keep you from getting bored. I have thrown up twice. Once I ate 1 too many shrimp. I was terribly uncomfortable and in alot of pain for about 2hours and then I spit up some white frothy stuff a few times, and then all of the food. (sorry if it is TMI) The second time I think I didn't chew it completely and it was about an hour and a half before it finally came back up. I felt wonderful as soon as it was up. Throwing up isn't the same as before surgery because there is not much bile in your stomach. I am much more cautious now after doing it to not overeat.

I look for things that have lots of protein. I am so sick of the shakes. I have tried many kinds. I don't like the powders much. I have found a cappucino one by nectar that I can tolerate in the mornings. It has 23 grams of protein. I would drink the shakes if they weren't so sweet. I think eventually I will go back to drinking them in the morning. I like GNC Lean shake best.

I also had a guy in my support group who never used the pain pump at the hospital and didn't fill his prescription of hydrocodone when he left. He also was never nauseous.

I will be glad to share the things that have worked for me. Remember, that your tastes buds will most likely change after surgery, so don't buy too many of one item. Lots of websites will let you do sampler packs to find the Proteins that work for you.

Enjoy your day! I plan on sleeping most of the day. I was in the hospital ER all night with my 19 year old. He was dehydrated and losing function in his kidneys. Thankful that I have him home now in one piece. It was a pretty scary night.

Thank you so much for all the GREAT info!! I love hearing others success stories and what they go through. Look forward to keeping in touch. Go to sleep and get some rest and I'll be thinking of you and your son. Take Care!

How are things going? I have been thinking about you lately. Hope all is well.

Hey Buddy!!! Things are going great.....I had my last pre-op appt yesterday and all is a GO! So in 5 days I will begin on this new journey! Excited, Happy, Little Nervous, all at the same time. How are things with you?

Hey Buddy!!! Things are going great.....I had my last pre-op appt yesterday and all is a GO! So in 5 days I will begin on this new journey! Excited' date=' Happy, Little Nervous, all at the same time. How are things with you?[/quote']

Wow! So close!

Wow! So close!

You will do great! I am 9 weeks post op now and I am at 44 pounds lost. Fitting in old clothes is so exciting!

How are you doing? Been thinking about you.

I hope you are doing well. I keep thinking maybe I will run into you somewhere.