Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone!

I have been reading from this site for several months and found so much helpful information on it. I have not posted before now because I didn't want to get my hopes up and my insurance not cover the lap band. I started this process in Sept of last year and did everything that my surgeons office told me to do. I had my packet all together of everything they asked for when I went to the seminar. I then got scheduled for the psychologist, nutritionist and NP. My insurance (BCBS Federal) paid for everything except the nutritionist. Then everthing got sent to the insurance company. I originally got denied from BCBS because they didn't cover the lap band. So they sent it off to my husband's insurance (UHC Railroad) and I got approved. In January 2007 BCBS Federal started covering the lap band so they resubmitted it and I got approved with no problems. I was worried because the insurance person at the surgeons office didn't think I would be approved because my BMI was only 37 and that it may be too low. Give me a break. Anyway my comorbidities included GERD and low back pain. The whole insurance process was the easiest of all. My surgeon wants alot of tests done before she will do the surgery. (I thought the stress test was going to kill me before I even had a chance to have the surgery!) Anyway--I didn't mean to keep rambling but I am finally scheduled for surgery on March 22, 2007 with Dr. Blackstone in Scottsdale AZ. I am so excited and also scared. I am hoping that mentally I am prepared to give up the diet soda and not drinking anything during my meals. I have started to wean myself from the Diet Coke and next week I will try not drinking when I eat. I have done every diet that you can think of as I am sure all of you have too. I am 45 years old and am really ready to start living my life to the fullest without feeling so tired, embarrassed, ugly . . . So tomorrow is a new day and I will try to keep my resolutions. This forum is so helpful and supportive and I will continue to learn and Celebrate with all of you!

Hi Sherry!! Congrats on your upcoming surgery date!!! And welcome to LBT. I had my surgery when I was 45...and it was a breeze! I started off at a higher BMI, so I would bet you sail right through this!

I look forward to hearing from you...do you live in AZ, or is that just where you are having surgery? I am in New Mexico...

We are glad to have you here!!!

Kat

You are about to start a wonderful journey! Stay true to your food plan post and pre and you will have amazing results. This is the tool you have been waiting for.

Don't fault your doctor for doing pre-op tests. It's important to know you are healthy before you let someone cut on you by choice! I was talking with a young woman just a few days ago who discovered she was diabetic and had a liver ailment when she went for her pre-tests.....and she thought was healthy. If they had done the surgery before finding that out, she would have been in serious trouble. Also, it's protection for the doctor....their liability insurance is high enough as it is!!

Congrats Sherry on your date!! I have only been banded 1 week so this is still all so new to me. This site has been very helpful to me!! I also have BCBS Federal and I had no problem getting covered (except for having to wait until 2007). I had the absolute worst headache for 3 -4 days after surgery due to what I believe caffeine withdrawals..I was a heavy Diet Coke drinker...You are doing it the right way by starting to drink less of it..believe me you'll be happier in the end...(I do still miss it though).

Take care and good luck on your journey....

congrat on your date with the Band....I am new to this as well..had my first consult on Monday and my date with the Band is March 15...I went for blood work ,ecg and chest xray today. I haven't been told about a nutrishonist or anything else except these tests done today...should I be concerned??? anyone??

I am glad you were finally approved. It was worrisome for me too, and I was not sure I was going to surgery until the day before. I was banded last week, and am hoping it was one of the best decisions I ever made!

I too had to give up Diet Coke, and really do miss it!

Hi Sherry and welcome to LBT! Congratulations to you on your upcoming banding. I was banded 3 weeks ago and am doing very well. Best of luck to you-Gigi

Not sure it will help you Diet Coke fiends---but just thought I would share this with you---our local 7/11 convenience store, has Diet Coke Icees. They are non carbonated---would be considered liquid--and the cold might be soothing. Cold also sometimes causes bands to get tighter---keep that in mind. No one ever made a Diet Dr. Pepper one, and now I have kicked the habit---but would still drink one of the icees if they made it!

Kat