Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inquiring minds wanna know

Have a few questions that I have been meaning to ask as we wait for our surgery day to get here 38 days and counting..

So we would like to know..

What are some thing we should bring to the hospital with us?

What are some things we should need once were home for the first few weeks after surgery?

Does or did anyone have trouble getting out of bed?

Pain levels?? Is the pain severe?

Sex? (lol) how long is everyone waiting after surgery?

Did anyone have surgical glue on their incisions and or did anyone have problems with the incision popping open?

We have to give ourself a Heparin shot for 10 days after surgery, anyone else have to do that?

Exercise? What is everyone doing the first few weeks after surgery?

I feel like not knowing the answers to these questions is increasing my fears. I could ask the dr office but I'd rather hear from experience

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

I just posted this in the "August 2013 surgeries" thread. I'm going through kaiser and they give everyone a big binder of information. This is what it says about what to have and what to bring.

Have at home:

Stage 1 and 2 liquids

Milk of magnesia (for nights b4 surgery)

Oral thermometer

Bring to hospital:

Unflavored Chapstick

Slippers

Robe

Ear plug

Brush/comb

Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant

C-pap (if applicable)

Loose clothing for discharge

I've also heard that small plates, baby cutlery, and small tupperware (1/2 cup disposable containers etc.) are good to have. Also food processor or blender (but thats probably not absolutely necessary) and food scale I you don't already have them.

Hospital: I brought a lot. I used chapstick, toothbrush & my own pillow. I was there one night and slept a lot.

Home: Protein Shakes, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicle, broth, greek yogurt, crystal light, Decaf tea.

Sleeping: it was hard to get in and out of bed or turn over for the first week. I slept in a recliner a lot.

Exercise: just walking. It started off very slow. Took about a week for me to make it around the block. I made someone walk with me at first.

Sex: I think it was about 10 days. I didn't do any if the work. :-)

It was my first surgery. It was painful but not unbearable. I only used pain meds for about 3 days. Everyone is different.

I am 3 months now and it seems like surgery was so long ago!

Oh...I had surgical glue and had no issues.

Oh...I had surgical glue and had no issues.

Loved the surgical glue! No visible stitches to itch and catch on clothing. :-) the incisions heal nice and cleanly, and quickly, too! :-)

Have a few questions that I have been meaning to ask as we wait for our surgery day to get here 38 days and counting..

What are some thing we should bring to the hospital with us? I took stuff I didn't use. Extra clothes no need they take. Blood & needle you all the time do your in pjs all day except when you are discharge.

What are some things we should need once were home for the first few weeks after surgery? sugar free Jello Water Popsicle clear broth

Does or did anyone have trouble getting out of bed? I didn't

Pain levels?? Is the pain severe? I wasn't in any

Sex? (lol) how long is everyone waiting after surgery? Not even a week & I was getting some :)

Did anyone have surgical glue on their incisions and or did anyone have problems with the incision popping open? I had the strips that felt off after a about 1 1/2 weeks

We have to give ourself a Heparin shot for 10 days after surgery' date=' anyone else have to do that? They did that all day while I was in the hospital

Exercise? What is everyone doing the first few weeks after surgery? I just walk

I feel like not knowing the answers to these questions is increasing my fears. I could ask the dr office but I'd rather hear from experience

Thanks in advance

[/quote']

What are some thing we should bring to the hospital with us?

Chapstick and your own very very loose PJs and your pillows.

What are some things we should need once were home for the first few weeks after surgery?

I used a kids sippy cup the most. I was able to measure my Fluid intake and felt like I had accomplished something when I drank all of it.

Does or did anyone have trouble getting out of bed?

I did not have too much trouble

Pain levels?? Is the pain severe?

This is going to vary person to person. I have had a lot of surgeries and this was a pretty easy one for me. My shoulder surgeries were my worst..

Sex? (lol) how long is everyone waiting after surgery?

We waited several months' date=' but it is because I had really bad nausea. However when hubby and I started we were like newlyweds!!!

Did anyone have surgical glue on their incisions and or did anyone have problems with the incision popping open?

They used glue for me and I had one pop open. I just kept a close eye on it.

We have to give ourself a Heparin shot for 10 days after surgery, anyone else have to do that?

Yes, it is easy, but your tummy looks like you are a punching bag.

Exercise? What is everyone doing the first few weeks after surgery?

Walking for me. However when doc said I could resume regular activity at 8 weeks post op I was playing indoor soccer.

Thanks in advance

[/quote']

Music 1618-

Totally off subject, but isn't shoulder surgery the worst? I had my shoulder rebuilt completely, and the pain wad

Music 1618-

Totally off subject' date=' but isn't shoulder surgery the worst? I had my shoulder rebuilt completely, and the pain wad[/quote']

Pain was excruciating, much worse than my open - heart surgery. Only time I've ever cried after surgery.

Pain was excruciating' date=' much worse than my open - heart surgery. Only time I've ever cried after surgery.[/quote']

Please note....NOT talking about rny...that pain was minimal!

Music 1618-

Totally off subject' date=' but isn't shoulder surgery the worst? I had my shoulder rebuilt completely, and the pain wad[/quote']

I have had bone spurs removed in both shoulders and it was horrible. The last one my doc came to me after the surgery and said well that was tough and you are going to hurt. Never a good sign! Does not help that I am clumsy and fell on that should twice after surgery.

Rny was a breeze compared to those. All though my easiest was having torn cartilage removed from my hip.

Music 1618-

I had surgery to remove bone spurs in my right shoulder and they found I had a torn rotator cuff too. I tore it sometime between the MRI and the surgery so it was a surprise to both of us. The pain from the spurs inside my shoulder socket was so severe that I never felt the rotator cuff injury. My doc says my shoulder was the worst that he had ever seen. The spurs alone would have been a quick recovery but with the rotator cuff it took FOREVER! I was in a sling for three months, had pain with movement for 7-8 months, and was not totally pain free for almost a year. The pain after surgery was almost more than I could bear, it was excruciating even with pain meds, and I cried.

Compared to that RNY was a price of cake. Very little pain, quick recovery, resuming normal activities within two weeks (with only heavy lifting restrictions). :-)