Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everybody, I have been reading the forum for about 6 months but only recently decided to sign up... I started this journey in 2000 when I first was introduced to bariatric procedures. At that time I was 20 and 300lbs. Where I grew up RNY was not an option, but I had a ballon filled with saline implanted in my stomach for 6 months. The purpose of this was to limit the capacity of my stomach and it worked great. I lost 130 pounds but then balloon was removed (they couldn't keep it in there longer, the materials would degenerate) and I gained all that weight back. Now I am at the end of the approval process for the RNY, had my 6 dietician visits, some blood work and psych evaluation done and currently waiting for approval from y insurance (BCBS). I cannot wait for this to be over with... I keep thinking what if I am declined :) my friends and coworkers don't know that I am planning this and only few family members were told... I am not sure, but I may be little embarrassed about having to have the surgery and not being able to lose the weight myself... I have all these fitness obsessed friends and feel ashamed when they tell me what to eat to be healthier... I know I shouldn't bother, but I do. I am very grateful for being able to follow successes and stories of all of you non-judgmental people :) You guys rock!

I told very few people about the surgery before I had it done. Now that I am visibly losing weight I have told others. Most people are incredibly supportive & actually proud I would be so brave. I hope you have that same result. I felt like I should have been able to lose the weight myself, too but guess what? All those failed diets, yo-yoing, insane exercise & starvation landed me right back where I always started. This surgery is a tool to help you lose weight. You still have to work at it. Lots of people regain the weight if they don't make lifestyle changes. I still fight everyday to make good food choices. Don't let anyone tell you this is the easy way. Let them know that this is simply a tool to help you be healthy. Be proud of yourself & be strong! Good luck!!

Thanks for the encouraging words. This to was has been my experiencing the last few days. Much support and now some are asking if I've lost weight. ..preop diet result! It feels surreal though. I had to announce to my whole company I would out for weeks(Im HR Manager)..I didn't mention why but people are worried I'm not ok. I don't say anything. I wonder about their the reactions when I get back or the comments....but I don't care...I'm doing this because of my health, ME and I need to be here for my family. Good luck to all of you. ;)

Welcome! Do not feel embarrassed! Use this surgery as a tool to get yourself on track. Glad you're here with us. I have BCBS too, and will submit to insurance next week. I think the waiting to hear from them is going to be really hard!

You absolutely have nothing to be embarrassed about! I'm so joyful about my decision to pursue RNY. I only withhold from telling people because I don't want the negativity but I'm not at all ashamed. It's a big decision and it means you're brave enough to try! I also have BCBS and will be submitting to insurance after the 19th. Good luck to US!!

Actually United is longer than BcBs. I had BcBS. Its was easy and faster response. United had me going in circles and took weeks. This was Blue cross RI though.

Actually united is longer thsn BcBs. I had BcBS. Its wad eady. Unuted had me going in circles. This wad Blue cross RI

I have BCBSRI - I was approved in one week. :-)

good luck on your journey. It's different for each one of us, but we all support each other! Hoping things go well for you and you can move over to the losers bench with us!

Thank you all for the encouragement! I know there Is nothing to be embarrassed about, but I dread people's looks and whispers behind my back. I work in large corporation and we sit in these darn cubicles... Nowhere to hide :) I guess I just need to embrace the challenge :) I personally am super excited for the surgery and I know I'll do we'll with it, my mind is set!

When I attended my informational session my surgeon had told all of us "Everytime there is a get together with my friends, my work and my patients always come up. Many people wonder about the people who choose to do these kinds of surgeries and whether or not they have the willpower because they are heavy, obviously can't lose wait and don't seem like they have tried. I tell them this: my patients are incredible people with incredible willpower. This surgery won't make them look like supermodels. But it will give them the confidence to believe they can be. This is more than just a few bad diets. This is a genetic problem. This isn't about success and failure." I wanted to share that with you because when I heard that, I wanted to shout from the rooftops that I was having this surgery. For the first time in my LIFE - I felt proud for trying. And knowing I would succeed. If you change your way of thinking now, and embrace what a wonderful decision you have made - you will go so far! Xo.