Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2013 - Post Op Thread

So sorry Erin. Hope u feel better soon.

My husband was 2 weeks post op, yesterday. He was down 32 pounds. He started full liquids yesterday (protein shakes, pudding, creamed soups) and his supplements. He has been off pain meds since the hospital, and all of his incisions are healing nicely. On the 26th, he starts pureed foods, and on September 23, he'll start soft foods before he is on a regular diet on October 21. It's a crazy diet, but he'll get through it. He has 7 weeks off of work.

My husband was 2 weeks post op, yesterday. He was down 32 pounds. He started full liquids yesterday (protein shakes, pudding, creamed soups) and his supplements. He has been off pain meds since the hospital, and all of his incisions are healing nicely. On the 26th, he starts pureed foods, and on September 23, he'll start soft foods before he is on a regular diet on October 21. It's a crazy diet, but he'll get through it. He has 7 weeks off of work.

Started puréed foods today and had 1/4 of egg beaters with cheese. No problems. Yay!

I'm actually having a really rough time. I'll be 3 weeks out tomorrow and while I'm at the pureed stage (thank goodness) I can still barely walk. I'm in constant excruciating pain.

I don't actually question having had the surgery' date=' I just wish I could heal faster (I had complications and still have a large abcess). Maybe tomorrow at my clinic visit they'll give me better pain killers ;-).[/quote']

Why are union so much pain three weeks post op? Did they help u at clinic? Hope so!

Why are union so much pain three weeks post op? Did they help u at clinic? Hope so!

Went to the clinic today and they're working through the puzzle of me. Gave me some Dilaudid so that should help dull the pain a little for now (I have built up a tolerance to it, but it will at least take the edge off).

They're sending me for another (my 3rd) abdominal CT scan this week to see what's up. My J tube is still putting out copious amounts of puss every day, so they can't take that out and they're torn as to whether the tube is irritating something or whether the underlying infection inside is what is causing the pain. I'm on another week of antibiotics to keep that at bay.

On the up-side the abcess on the other side of my abdomen is starting to look a bit better <sigh>.

My heart rate was better and I'm not running a fever and my bp is good, so apparently I'm improving except for the pain which is getting worse. So they'll run more tests and see me again next week unless I get worse in which case I'm to call.

Well, things got worse and I got sent to the ER on Friday night. <sigh>

I'm in the hospital again.

I haven't been able to eat or drink anything since Thursday because it causes sharp pains. The pain in my right abdomen is pretty much constant now as is the nausea. They have me on constant dilaudid and anti-nausea meds as well as iv fluids. They did an emergency CT scan and I will be discussing it with my surgeon this morning. Apparently my intestines are twisted around funny in some way - I didn't really understand the explanation in the ER. Also the infection they have been treating me for hasn't been responding to antibiotics so they FINALLY cultured it and found the right antibiotics and I'm on them now. My potassium is low so they've given me some of that IV and they're hovering around giving me a transfusion since my hemoglobin is borderline.

So that's the scoop for now.

Fill you in when they figure out just what to do with the problem of me.

Well' date=' things got worse and I got sent to the ER on Friday night. <sigh>

I'm in the hospital again.

I haven't been able to eat or drink anything since Thursday because it causes sharp pains. The pain in my right abdomen is pretty much constant now as is the nausea. They have me on constant dilaudid and anti-nausea meds as well as iv fluids. They did an emergency CT scan and I will be discussing it with my surgeon this morning. Apparently my intestines are twisted around funny in some way - I didn't really understand the explanation in the ER. Also the infection they have been treating me for hasn't been responding to antibiotics so they FINALLY cultured it and found the right antibiotics and I'm on them now. My potassium is low so they've given me some of that IV and they're hovering around giving me a transfusion since my hemoglobin is borderline.

So that's the scoop for now.

Fill you in when they figure out just what to do with the problem of me.[/quote']

Bless your heart! You are having a terrible go of it! Sending prayers for you and hope they figure this all out soon! Keep us posted!

I *just* saw my surgeon and he thinks he has a handle on things. They think the Cipro (antibiotic I'm now on) is the ticket for getting rid of this darned infection and that it's main problem for the abdominal pain - they can see the pocket of Fluid on the CT scan. Now as to me not eating and drinking - I've been on antibiotics for almost 3 weeks now and have a challenged immune system because of everything I've been through so they are pretty sure that I have . . . . a YEAST INFECTION in my esophagus and pouch (stomach) that is causing the pain. They are starting me on an IV medication to fix this and if it doesn't start to improve in a few days they will go in with a scope to check things out, but they don't want to scope me right now - I'm fragile enough that it's risky to do. And finally, they are concerned with the amount and location of the abdominal pain, that it might indicate a gallbladder problem as well as everything else going on and don't want to risk ignoring it so they are doing an abdominal ultrasound tomorrow (apparently can't do one on the weekend unless it's an emergency).

So I will be here at least a few more days until they get both my pain under control AND get me eating and drinking again.

Who'd have thought something like a yeast infection could do this?

Well, the yeast infection was confirmed and is under control, but the pain isn't gone so yesterday my surgeon scoped me. On top of the other challenges we have discovered along the way I have . . . . an ULCER in my brand new pouch! <le sigh>. So I'm a stronger proton-pump inhibitor AND another antibiotic.

My J-tub was removed yesterday (hurray!) as it was hardly draining anything any more and was a site for future potential problems.

I had a shower this morning and when they went to hook my IV back up it failed <whimper>(3 IV sites in 3 days), BUT my doctor came to the rescue and told that them it was fine, that I didn't need it any more. I had just had my final dose of antibiotics that only come IV and everything else meds wise can come orally. What it really means though is that I have to drink a LOT more.

So now I'm eating (little bits at a time) and drinking (little sips) on my own the only thing keeping me from going home is . . . . . . . . . I'm taking too much pain medication that has to be supervised. As soon as I can get it down to something reasonable I will and I get to go home :-p

Well' date=' the yeast infection was confirmed and is under control, but the pain isn't gone so yesterday my surgeon scoped me. On top of the other challenges we have discovered along the way I have . . . . an ULCER in my brand new pouch! <le sigh>. So I'm a stronger proton-pump inhibitor AND another antibiotic.

My J-tub was removed yesterday (hurray!) as it was hardly draining anything any more and was a site for future potential problems.

I had a shower this morning and when they went to hook my IV back up it failed <whimper>(3 IV sites in 3 days), BUT my doctor came to the rescue and told that them it was fine, that I didn't need it any more. I had just had my final dose of antibiotics that only come IV and everything else meds wise can come orally. What it really means though is that I have to drink a LOT more.

So now I'm eating (little bits at a time) and drinking (little sips) on my own the only thing keeping me from going home is . . . . . . . . . I'm taking too much pain medication that has to be supervised. As soon as I can get it down to something reasonable I will and I get to go home :-p[/quote']

Im hoping things start looking up for you!

So sorry you are having so many issues!

Well' date=' the yeast infection was confirmed and is under control, but the pain isn't gone so yesterday my surgeon scoped me. On top of the other challenges we have discovered along the way I have . . . . an ULCER in my brand new pouch! <le sigh>. So I'm a stronger proton-pump inhibitor AND another antibiotic.

So now I'm eating (little bits at a time) and drinking (little sips) on my own the only thing keeping me from going home is . . . . . . . . . I'm taking too much pain medication that has to be supervised. As soon as I can get it down to something reasonable I will and I get to go home :-p[/quote']

Hope things stabilize for you very soon do you can get on with your journey.