Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill comments.

Received my first fill this afternoon and I have some concerns…

According to Dr. C.’s paperwork, I was to receive 4 ccs. 4cc’s!!! What the heck, doesn’t that seem like quite a bit for a first fill? Also, the TO clinic advised that they did not fill my band with any saline at the time of surgery and Dr. D was able to withdraw a total of 5 cc at the time of the fill. What’s up with the mystery 1 cc? Dr. D added the 4 cc’s as per the paperwork and then asked that I drink some Water before I leave. One sip, two sip and nope…those two sips refused to stay down and I barfed in the most un-ladylike way in the sink. He then said he’d have to de-fill my band by 1 cc-thank god he has good aim and was able to find the port easily or else I may have barfed on him in retaliation.

I have a funny feeling that there has been some miscommunication and the amount given is incorrect.

So here’s how I justified not questioning the amount.

Oh well, if I have more Fluid in the band = faster weight loss. A “money for nothin’ and your chick for free” approach.:Banane43:

Or could this deluded thinking backfire by causing me to lose weight initially and then when it’s time for more Fluid to be added…duh…the band will be at its max capacity.

Also, any suggestions on approved chit chat topics while a strange man sticks you with a tiny needle? Hey, I said “A tiny needle” not “HIS tiny needle” Sicko’s!!:heh:

I always use my fall back lines like “Yes, those stretch marks do resemble the outline of the state of Florida” or the old stand-by “Yep, when those rolls squish together it does remind me of the dual images of Mad magazine’s “fold-in” feature. A first glance just your average blobs of fat…squish it together and it’s the depiction of the Queen Mother riding an armadillo while eating a grilled cheese!” Ah…good times.

What do you think peeps??:lol:

well, my dear.... I would have thought with an amount you were getting would mean that you had the larger band. Maybe you smart mouthed lightweights have thick stomachs? But since people which those sized bands typically get 4 or 5cc first fills with no problems, I don't know. Did you not just call Dr. C's office?! Call them and tell them that:

1) 'supposedly' you had a mystery 1cc in your band

2) what size of band do you have (and/or why were you told to get 4cc!)

I hope it didn't just say that you had a 4cc band, and he thought that was how much fill you were getting. Geeeeeeez.

Call them, I'm serious. I want to know, at least.

Received my first fill this afternoon and I have some concerns…

According to Dr. C.’s paperwork, I was to receive 4 ccs. 4cc’s!!! What the heck, doesn’t that seem like quite a bit for a first fill? Also, the TO clinic advised that they did not fill my band with any saline at the time of surgery and Dr. D was able to withdraw a total of 5 cc at the time of the fill. What’s up with the mystery 1 cc? Dr. D added the 4 cc’s as per the paperwork and then asked that I drink some Water before I leave. One sip, two sip and nope…those two sips refused to stay down and I barfed in the most un-ladylike way in the sink. He then said he’d have to de-fill my band by 1 cc-thank god he has good aim and was able to find the port easily or else I may have barfed on him in retaliation.

I have a funny feeling that there has been some miscommunication and the amount given is incorrect.

So here’s how I justified not questioning the amount.

Oh well, if I have more Fluid in the band = faster weight loss. A “money for nothin’ and your chick for free” approach.:Banane43:

Or could this deluded thinking backfire by causing me to lose weight initially and then when it’s time for more Fluid to be added…duh…the band will be at its max capacity.

Also, any suggestions on approved chit chat topics while a strange man sticks you with a tiny needle? Hey, I said “A tiny needle” not “HIS tiny needle” Sicko’s!!:heh:

I always use my fall back lines like “Yes, those stretch marks do resemble the outline of the state of Florida” or the old stand-by “Yep, when those rolls squish together it does remind me of the dual images of Mad magazine’s “fold-in” feature. A first glance just your average blobs of fat…squish it together and it’s the depiction of the Queen Mother riding an armadillo while eating a grilled cheese!” Ah…good times.

What do you think peeps??:lol:

I have nothing to say about the fill, I havent had one yet, not for another few weeks. But....

You are hysterical, I am cracking up reading your post, especially about barfing on the MD in retaliation.

Thanks for the laugh!:scared:

I have the Swedish BAnd- dont know how much it holds- never thoguht to ask... first fill I got 5cc-no problem Water went down good..second fill 2cc. no problem with water. I go for my next fill next Friday will see what happens then

Robyn

Mookie you are hillarious!!! Ive wondered what to say to someone fiddling around with a mysterious port during an intricate proceedure. I learned during my second delivery that some surgeons have no sense of humor... :lol: still, its your port! you rock it!

hehehe.

I wouldnt worry about meeting capacity. I could be nieve but i think you will have constriction just fine all the way down the road.

I have the Swedish BAnd- dont know how much it holds- never thoguht to ask... first fill I got 5cc-no problem Water went down good..second fill 2cc. no problem with Water. I go for my next fill next Friday will see what happens then

Robyn

I dont think that they use the swedish band in Canada, but I could be wrong. I know from talking to my Dr., who is different from yours that I recieved the "large" Inamed AP band last week.

Dr. C told me that it will hold up to 14CC, and the fill regiment is different than the smaller bands. More CC's per fill.

Maybe you have a larger band? They have been in use in Canada since November.

Andrew

Well I got my first fill 6weeks out (2cc) . For me that fill went well but before I left the doc. off. I could feel a big differ. You should be getting about 1/2cc at every vist. You have to do this slow. And yes, If you get too much at one time it WILL back fire!! food will start getting stuck in your chest, you will have PB's . So your fills need to be slow.

Dr. C uses only Inamed/Allergan bands, but the TLBC uses different ones AND the Inamed bands. The larger bands have been around forever, it's the "AP" type ones that are new (in small and large).

Hi Andrew

Yep they sure use it in Canada. I got banded by Dr Joffe at the TLBC Aug/06

I stand corrected.

Thanks,

Andrew

Dr. C uses only Inamed/Allergan bands, but the TLBC uses different ones AND the Inamed bands. The larger bands have been around forever, it's the "AP" type ones that are new (in small and large).

Thanks for the clarifaction

Robyn

Mookie,

It all depends on what type of band you have. If you are a Dr Coburn patient you will have one of the Innamed bands. There are 5 that are being used as far as I know. They use to larger fill bands the Vanguard and the new AP (both hold around 9-10 cc's I think) or the smaller rigid bands that hold 4 cc's. There are three types of those and the only difference in the band is the diameter that goes around the stomach.

Just so you know some saline will disappear but it has never magically appeared as far as I know. But I know with Dr Yau there have been times when he has with drawn all my fill and it is up by a CC based on the amount of air in the band etc. So my true fill is usually 1 to 1.5 cc less that the withdrawn amount. There is a little bit of fill that sits in the tubing that doesn't restrict your stomach either so it is kinda of a neutral amount.

Don't worry about your max capacity the band at max should be completely closed off. It may take you more fill to lose than someone else, but don't sweat it, it may take you less to feel that elusive restriction and sweet spot. It is because we are all so different. Focus on how the liquid feels going down when you are in the clinic, focus on the food you can eat and how it feels and focus on your weight loss and you will do fantastic.

Try not to focus on them playing with your port it can be freaky but you get a little used to it.. sooner rather than later.

Keep up the weight loss

I have the French MidBand and I was due for my first fill March 20, but I had to rebook for April 24th. I am told that the first fill is around 5 ccs by the fill nurse. As I have fears of coming back to N.Van and puking up any food I eat, is it possible to ask for a smaller fill or does one have to go by the instructions of the fill nurse? I won't have easy access to the clinic. Doddie

You'd probably be just fine with what they give you, and they'll make you hang around to be sure everythings good. If you're weird like me, and are suddenly tight after a few days, it's not like you're out in the boonies (me) and can't get help! BUT... you'll be fine! Tell 'em your worried, and maybe they will be a little more conservative with you :)