Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what do I turn to now? Starting to feel low!

You are so not alone. I went throught the same thing, except that I was just angry and mean to people. Its so hard to lose a best friend. I've spent that last several months fighting my band and trying to eat around it because I missed my only comfort in life. Hang in there and enjoy the good things about those first few weeks like very rapid WEIGHT LOSS! Things will even out. Before you know it, you'll be thinner and have more energy.

Hugs,

Jennifer

1. I'm in counceling to deal with the issues behind my eating.

2. I'm on antidepressants (which I needed before surgery...)

3. I crochet, draw, whatever, something time consuming that takes up my hands so they are busy. I can crochet for a good 2 hours or so before I realize how much time has passed.

:)

Hey girl, I'm glad you're first of all putting it out there that you are a little bit depressed. You can't fight it, because it will fight back ten times as hard. I was banded on 1/26, and I didn't think I could get depressed. I went back to school 3 days post op and back to work 10 days post op, I didn't give myself a break at all because I was constantly doing homework or work. Then last week I basically lost it, and it wasn't good. Now I have to go to a therapist and go back on anti-depressants that I didn't like taking, they made me feel like I was stoned or something.

Don't let this slip by. I know I'm down because I haven't exercised. But March 1st if not sooner I'm getting my booty back on the treadmill!! If you need support we are all here for you!:)

getting comfort from food when you are distressed is one of the first things we ever learn- Even as an infant, we cry and get fed, we feel good and the link is formed. I did not recognize the extent of my emotional eating until after the band and from talking to others this seems common. Eventually we can change habits but the new habits take quite a while to become automatcally- in the meantime we have the hole that food once filled. I can honestly say that this is something I am still dealing with- yes I have been treated for depression in the past and I have seen councilors as well, both were valuable but I found the councillor was particularly useful. Having someone to help re frame negative, self defeating thoughts/behaviour and also to challenge the less rationale thoughts and internal dialogue that crops up. For me I needed someone else to help me do this while I started to learn to do it for myself ( still learning)

It will get better, you are so early post op I honestly think you have some of the post op blues too- as someone else mentioned, anaesthetic has this effect on a lot of people. Someone else pointed out to me that often the hoop jumping and run around that goes on before surgery may be a factor aswell- quite often it has taken quite a long time to decide on surgery, get approval and surgery date- like training for a marathon, excpet that when you have your surgery you still are not at the winning line yet ( or so it seems) its like the finishing post has been moved again.

Hang in there it will get better

I am setting here crying like a baby. I truley thought I was on the edge of loosing my mind I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I cry dont want to get out of the bed my heart is just so heavy. I was banded on 2/15 so I know healing I still need to do but the depression I cant live with, now I no I am not by my self, I am not sure who started this thread but god bless you.

Shelley00

Same boat here. food was always my friend, or so it seemed. Food was there, when no one else was.

I have to rethink that, and hopefully, it is a first month thing, along with the depression. I drage myself around the house all morning, and don't get anything done, then trying to catch up in the afternoon.

OMG you guys I 'm so happy that I'm not the only one who feels this way. The only sad thing is that I haven't even had the surgery yet. I'm tring to changed my eating habits now. It's not so bad when you have supplements but to try it alone is torture. On top of it all I should be getting ready to menstrate and I don't know about all of you but I crave all kinds of food. I hope it gets better. :faint:

The first month was the hardest for me but now it just doesn't bother me anymore. I have to rethink food. It is NOT something to do when bored, there are far more "normal" things to do than think about food.

I was annoyed in the beginning because I wanted my fav's, my usuals. One day I was thrilled to death to be banded and the next day I was sure I made a very expensive and stupid mistake.

After about a month it just didn't bother me anymore. I don't care what others are eating, makes no difference. My tastes in food have changed SOO much it's just amazing to me. Things I used to really enjoy, today they taste like dirt. I'm not kidding.

Part of that is when you start losing weight the chemical reactions from the fat breakdown really do make you taste food differently. I used to enjoy a handful of jelly Beans every now and again. I grabbed three jelly Beans the other day and about gagged. I actually spit them out because they tasted like dirt. chocolate Silk pie tastes like room temp chocolate flavored butter. It's disgusting. I'm finding that I really like the better foods now, I prefer them. Anything high fat is gross, lots of sugar tastes like dirt, and I haven't eaten anything greasy since surgery.

Just give yourself time. You just had surgery, your entire life is changing, you are having to make big personal changes right now and it's a lot. Give it time and things will be better. But they always suck in the beginning regardless of surgery. Besides, when the fat starts to melt like a big Chocolate bar in the desert sun, I promise you... you'll see an entirely new perspective.