Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fish? Need suggestions.....

OK, fish is one food item I know I should have, but have never included as a menu option at home. I am prepared to acquire a taste for it, however, need suggestions on the best tasting fish (other than salmon). I guess I had a bad past experience where it just tasted too "fishy" if that makes sense.

:lol: LOL!

Any suggestions on a good quality, yummy tasting, and satisfying fish???? If so, where did you buy it? Did you buy it fresh or frozen? And if you ordered it at a restaurant and you loved it, which restaurant? Also, I am searching for yummy fish recipes too. Feel free to share your ideas - they are all welcome!!!!!

:hungry: Kim

Talapia (frozen in individual filets) is a good choice for beginners - or anybody. It cooks quickly, is very mild, can be pan cooked in a sauce, and one filet is just the right size for those of us with little bitty pouchies.

They sell them by the box at Walmart and Sam's.

4 ounce WLS portion: Calories 235, fat 12 gr, carbs 1 gr, Protein 28 gr

Serves 4

4 small tilapia filets, about 4-5 ounces each

Flour for dusting

1 tablespoon olive oil

One jar of your favorite salsa (my favorite brands are Frontera, Zapata, Goya, and Newman’s Own)

Lime wedges as a garnish, optional

Rinse fish filets and dry using paper towels. Dust each filet on both sides with a small amount of flour and pat to remove excess. Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat and sauté filets until golden on one side, about 3 minutes; carefully turn and continue cooking until done, about 3 additional minutes. Transfer to serving plates. Add about one cup salsa to the hot skillet, swirl pan while mixture sizzles, and spoon a little over each filet. Copyright © 2005 by Susan Maria Leach www.BariatricEating.com, HarperCollins Publishers Inc. all rights reserved.

There are more good fish recipes on her website.

Any suggestions on a good quality, yummy tasting, and satisfying fish???? If so, where did you buy it? Did you buy it fresh or frozen?

The almond crusted tilapia at Central Market's take-away counter is delicious. I wrap it in foil and heat it in the toaster oven for about 10-15 minutes and it's wonderful.

I also like the Shrimp Cakes from Omaha Steaks. One shrimp cake has 140 calories and 15 grams of Protein. Omaha Steaks also has a lot of other seafood items that are very good, like their Parmesan Crusted Trout, Tortilla Crusted Tilapia, and Stuffed Sole with Shrimp and Garlic. Take a look on their website and you'll find lots of tasty seafood items: www.omahasteaks.com

I'm not a big fish fan to be honest, which is a shame as DH is a keen fisherman. I hate the crap he brings home - bones, skin, ugh *shudder*. Loathe it.

I find fish rather dry and hard to eat, its one food guaranteed to cause me discomfort.

I love salmon, its really the only thing I buy fresh and cook.

Otherwise, and I'm no advocate of packaged foods normally, I stick to frozen fish in sauce type things. I dont even particularly like them, but I can tolerate them and they're softer and not so dry in texture as fish that I cook from fresh.

I'm not a big fish fan to be honest, which is a shame as DH is a keen fisherman. I hate the crap he brings home - bones, skin, ugh *shudder*. Loathe it.

Don't blame you -- that sounds disgusting. If I had to gut and clean my fish, I certainly wouldn't want to eat it.

I find fish rather dry and hard to eat, its one food guaranteed to cause me discomfort.

I love salmon, its really the only thing I buy fresh and cook.

It's odd, but salmon is the only food I've had trouble with. It seems to get stuck and then I have to drink some Water to push it down. It's ironic because salmon is one of the oiler fishes, especially compared to something like tilapia. And yet I haven't had any problems with any other type of fish or any other food for that matter.

Hey Enterprise01. I am a patient of Spivak too! I was banded of Feb 5th. The day of surgery, I weighed 218 as well. Small world. Best of luck to you! Wish you much success.

I am preparing for my next stage of foods. Still on creamy Soups and mushies for now. Fish might be an option later. I have to think about it.

Best wishes.

I like salmon the best, but my second choice would be halibut. I usually wrap it up in foil with different seasonings. For example, lemon and a little seasoning salt, then bake at 350 until it's just done(not sure on the time, I start at about 15 mins, then check it often). Overdone fish is BAD - dry and gets stuck.

I also like tuna - I'll take a block of it and sear in a pan with a little olive oil, leaving the center rare/raw, and eat with a dipping sauce like teriyaki or something.

Hey Enterprise01. I am a patient of Spivak too! I was banded of Feb 5th. The day of surgery, I weighed 218 as well. Small world. Best of luck to you! Wish you much success.

I am preparing for my next stage of foods. Still on creamy Soups and mushies for now. Fish might be an option later. I have to think about it.

Best wishes.

What's your goal weight? Don't you just love Dr. Spivak? You know, he does consider fish to be a soft food, so you can try it when you're ready. This is from his website (http://www.lap-surgery.net/lapband/alldiet_set.htm):

POST-OP DIET INSTRUCTIONS

STAGE 2 (SOFT DIET FOR 4 WEEKS)

Soft foods from the list below can now be added.

SOFT DIET

Soft fruit (banana, melon)

Cooked vegetables and fish

eggs

Anything with the consistency of baby food

I love him! I have had a great experience with him and his staff. Hopefully that continues. Scheduled for my first fill on March 15th.

I am still fairly swollen and feel tight. I have started on soft fruit and that is going well. We will see when I get brave enough to try something else. Regarding my goal weight... well, I would love to be 130#'s, however, I would be thrilled just to be in a size 8/10 again! So I am trying to see how it goes for me. My mind fluctuations on the actual goal weight. Not sure that is normal, but I want to keep it realistic and obtainable.

How did your first fill go????

Keep in touch...

I am not a big fish person either but have been trying to make it once a week much to the delight of my family. I do like the talapia ....very mild and easy to eat. It is easy to prepare too. Just put some diced tomatoes, some pepper and some chopped black olives and bake for about 10 minutes. It is really good.

Excellent input from everyone. Anyone else want to add suggestions re: fish? I need to acquire a taste..... soon. I will be graduating from some of the mushies. Thanks!

I have never had talapia but my husband makes me flounder or some other light fish = he wraps it in aluminum foil with a little bit of ff ranch dressing or ff italian dressing - and cooks it. It is awesome. I hate fish and will never eat it anywhere else - but I eat this.

We eat fish several times a week. We're pretty much fish or chicken eaters but we do eat beef rarely. I love Tilapia (had it tonight in fact). I fix it in lots of different ways but some of my favorites are marinating it and grilling it or baking with a light pretzel crust. We also eat lots of Mahi Mahi grilled. Its comes out a little more dense, almost the consistency of steak. Yummy!

Here are some marinade ideas:

Caribbean Jerk Seasoning, 1 TBSP of Olive Oil and 1/4 cup warm Water

Old Bay Lemon Herb Seasoning and Water, red wine vinegar

Low Carb BBQ Sauce

Chili Rub

I use smart balance light margarine with lemon or lime sometimes, wrap it in foil and bake or grill.