Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone have severe knee or lower back arthritis before the surgery and it was resolved after surgery? If not, are u still able to take NSAIDS (Tylenol, tramadol, percocet, etc) for relief?

YES, I have chronic RA in almost every bone in my body, but my knees are the worst. I had my surgery on 1/29/13 & have lost 102lbs it hasn't helped my knees in the slightest,I'm sorry to say. One of the reasons for having the surgery was that I needed to loose 75lbs before they could do the knee replacement surgery, but now that I've lost enough weight, I'm so scared to have it done. I can't stand the thought of being in all that pain, they want to do both knees at the same time. I'm passes taking Tylnol or any OTC meds. I go to a pain management Dr. & take Morphine & Methadone on a daily basis & also inject Mexotrexate once a week . Hope you feel better & keep moving!

Peace,

Mary

I have had RA for ten years. I am a little over a year post op and have lost about 117. I have noticed a significant decrease in my pain and joint swelling. I was on 20mg of prednisone pre op and I am now down to 2.5mg. Trying to get off of it completely, but each time I begin to wean myself off my hip flares up.

My surgeon said that if you are used to taking certain meds before the surgery after surgery you should be ok. However everyone is different. Make sure you discuss the surgery with your arthritis doc and that your surgeon is on the same page with your arthritis doc.

I have osteo in both shoulders, lower back, right knee. left knee was replaced in 2009. right knee is bone on bone, needs replacement, dont wanna do that again - too painful. Hoping losing the weight and cortisone will buy me some time - like, years from now before knee surgery happens.

I have osteo in both shoulders' date=' lower back, right knee. left knee was replaced in 2009. right knee is bone on bone, needs replacement, dont wanna do that again - too painful. Hoping losing the weight and cortisone will buy me some time - like, years from now before knee surgery happens.[/quote']

Don't have arthritis, but chronic regional pain syndrome....weight loss has helped some. Dr said no nsaids but Tylenol is fine...it helps nada. I'm afraid of it as wls patients have a higher rate of liver failure due to acetaminophen overdose.

Thank u all for ur replies. I am bone on bone in left knee and my right knee is quickly catching up. I have tried all types of pills, but nothing works. Cortisone shots are a waste of time for me. I am sincerely hoping that weight loss greatly improves pain. I would welcome knee replacement, but must loose weight first. Thank u all again.

Did anyone have severe knee or lower back arthritis before the surgery and it was resolved after surgery? If not' date=' are u still able to take NSAIDS (Tylenol, tramadol, percocet, etc) for relief?[/quote']

I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. My right knee is almost shot and i have arthritis in my lower back as well. The pain is better without the extra weight. Nsaids are a no no but i use ultram and it seems to help. Nsaids worked the best for me.

HW 255# surgerversary 04/29/13 cw 211#

I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. My right knee is almost shot and i have arthritis in my lower back as well. The pain is better without the extra weight. Nsaids are a no no but i use ultram and it seems to help. Nsaids worked the best for me.

Yes, Ultram(tramadol) is the only approved NSaid. It works pretty well with tylenol But i cant take it at work, it makes me sleepy.

Yes' date=' Ultram(tramadol) is the only approved NSaid. It works pretty well with tylenol But i cant take it at work, it makes me sleepy.[/quote']

J must have a high pain tolerance. I take 2 Ultram morning and bedtime. It helps but not like aleves did.

Unfortunately, nothing works for me. My pain laughs at tylenol, tramadol, aleve...percocet does not help either, but makes me sick. Because of this my quality of life has decreased...cant do much because of the pain, but Im claiming great relief after the surgery and weight loss. :-)

Unfortunately' date=' nothing works for me. My pain laughs at tylenol, tramadol, aleve...percocet does not help either, but makes me sick. Because of this my quality of life has decreased...cant do much because of the pain, but Im claiming great relief after the surgery and weight loss. :-)

[/quote']

Yayy!

Unfortunately' date=' nothing works for me. My pain laughs at tylenol, tramadol, aleve...percocet does not help either, but makes me sick. Because of this my quality of life has decreased...cant do much because of the pain, but Im claiming great relief after the surgery and weight loss. :-)

[/quote']

Meds are much less effective for me after surgery. Sigh.

Vicodin only muffles my knee pain. I realize how much it helps when I run out. So I've gotten used to the muffled pain. Dont know if I can keep taking vicodin after the surgery though. I'll talk that over with my doctor.

Thank u all sooo much for ur comments and advice. It helps so much to know that others understands even a little bit of what i go through. I hope u all have a wonderful day full of fun, weight loss and noooo pain!

Thank u all sooo much for ur comments and advice. It helps so much to know that others understands even a little bit of what i go through. I hope u all have a wonderful day full of fun' date=' weight loss and noooo pain![/quote']

What medicines do you take for your arthritis?