Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I had surgery on April 8th 2013; however, when I hit the 4 wk mark I was severely dehydrated. I was nauseated 24/7. Water and sugar-free Gatorade were my only friends. On May 22nd around 3:30 PM I felt like I was going to pass out at work so I left early. The next day (Thursday) I woke up to dry heaves so I contacted my surgeons office to get an appt, but they couldn't take me until the following day (Friday). The surgeon's assistant could tell I was in a lot of pain so she told me if it got worse to go to the ER.

Somehow I made it through Thursday thinking Friday the surgeon would find the issue, and I would be cured. Well, on Friday the surgeon simply said I had an uncler because:

1. I no longer had my gall bladder. It was removed in 2004.
  2. Water and Gatorade was going down with no issue, so it couldn't be a blockage

So he gave me some presriptions and sent me on my way. I RAN to get the perscriptions field thinking I would have relief once the meds were in my system.

NOT!!!

I continued to be in pain the rest of Friday and Saturday. By Sunday (May 26th), I could not keep Water or Gatorade down. My nausea had gone from a level 3 or 4 to a level 10. Normal household smells such as room deordorizers, hand lotion, dish detergent, etc. made me ill to smell. I had to wear a surgical mask to keep from vomitting. I had my neighbor take me to the ER.

After x-rays, EKG, a CTscan and 4 days of being in the hospital, they finally discovered I had scar tissue (aka adhesions) the line from my stomach and intestines are fused together and NOTHING could get through. I had severe pain on the left side right under my left breast. On Friday (May 31st) I had to have surgery to have the scar tissue removed. This surgery was done laparoscopically as well. I got 3 new incisions, and was sent home the next day.

I'm doing 100% BETTER. During my two week ordeal I really thought that was going to be my "new" life, and I was really wonder in the world had I done to myself. Although my weight loss has slowed down a smidge (now that I can actually eat), I'm so happy with my progress. I've lost a total of 60 lbs and 47 lbs since surgery.

I'm sharing my story so that if you have any of the same symptoms as I had, please don't just think its normal reach out to your surgeon to get help. Listen to your body, if you think its more than what your surgeon is telling you, and you are in pain GO TO THE ER!!! I have a very high tolerance for pain which explains why I didn't end up in the ER sooner rather than later. I should've went on Thursday or Friday evening instead of waiting until Sunday.

Best,

BabyGirl127

So glad you are doing well I. Have to go today to not in any pain but the smells gets to me and nothing stays down

Sparkle, so glad you are feeling better and they found out the problem. Take good care of yourself and continue to improve.

OH BabyGirl!! I had something similar. My intestines fused from one of the staples and yes, NOTHING can get through. It was AWFUL!!! You think you are going to die. The ER Dr thought I had over eaten at Thanksgiving. No Dude, I was vomiting. It's so freaking scary. But once the operated again, I was fine.

SOOO glad you are OK!!!

OMG !!! you poor thing !!!! I'm glad you are feeling much better now and can function normally. What an ordeal to go thru :(

I'm going thru this right now. Will be having the surgery to remove the scar tissue in a few days. What was the recovery like? I'm trying to hurry up and coordinate time off work etc.

I'm going thru this right now. Will be having the surgery to remove the scar tissue in a few days. What was the recovery like? I'm trying to hurry up and coordinate time off work etc.

I had surgery on Friday & I was back to work on Tuesday, but I was moving pretty slow. I was so happy to be out of the hospital that I over did it on Saturday. I was very sore Sunday & Monday so take it easy after surgery. Good Luck!

I had surgery on Friday & I was back to work on Tuesday' date=' but I was moving pretty slow. I was so happy to be out of the hospital that I over did it on Saturday. I was very sore Sunday & Monday so take it easy after surgery. Good Luck![/quote']

Thanks. I'm so upset to be going thru this! They're planning on doing the surgery Monday I think. I was hoping for tomorrow but have yet to hear from the scheduler.

Guys. I have never been in pain like this in my life. Apparently I had one of the worst cases of scar tissue my surgeon has ever seen. Was what they call a cicatrix - basically the fat the roux limb has to come up thru turned hard almost like bone. And I also had a stricture where the pouch and intestines met.

Guys. I have never been in pain like this in my life. Apparently I had one of the worst cases of scar tissue my surgeon has ever seen. Was what they call a cicatrix - basically the fat the roux limb has to come up thru turned hard almost like bone. And I also had a stricture where the pouch and intestines met.

So sorry to hear this. Are you better now?

Wow! How are you doing now?

I am in terrible pain but finally able to drink normally which I hadn't been able to since my bypass surgery. Just got off the phone with my surgeon. Said the pain is going to be much worse when they have to go in a second time, and that what I had going on certainly wasn't normal. He said as long as I can keep things down and don't have a fever or anything to just take the pain medicine every three hours instead of four, and that he will check on me again in a few days and are if I need something stronger. I have so much buyers remorse with this whole decision to have surgery right now. I can't stop crying.

Baby girl I'm glad your doing better! Thx for sharing! Kristylynn I'm sorry to hear you're in such pain! I hope they hurry up and fix the problem. U r in my prayers!

My mom is on my case to try to go to work today so I don't lose the holiday pay. Trust me. I don't want to lose double time a d a half - but the pain is unbearable. The roxicet has started making me nauseated so I have only been taking it at night and I'm trying extra strength Tylenol to get thru the day. I guess I'll be putting a call in to the doctor again tomorrow about pain management. This is awful.