Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

work related issues and restrictions

I am in a bit of a pickle. I know I will be having surgery either next month or August. From what I have read, after surgery there is a weight restriction of like 10-20 lbs for several weeks. I haven't told my employer that I am having bypass officially yet. I plan on taking 10 days off work then going back. I found out today, that my employer won't let me return to work on any type of light duty (I'm a cashier). I don't qualify for any type of leave or anything.

So I don't know what to do. I can't be off work for that long, but I also don't want to kill myself trying to do things after surgery I shouldn't.

I just told my employer I had abdominal sugery and had lifting restrictions. With a doctor's excuse it shouldn't be a problem...does your employer take doctor's excuses?

I went back after eighteen days, no restrictions. I work in a bank and believe it or not there is lifting involved. Coin orders can be pretty heavy and my cash drawer can be heavy with rolled coin too. I order supplies and also have to put them away (including boxes of paper stock). I ask for help with the occasional heavy stuff. My doctor said if I had a job with heavy lifting, he would advise being out longer or a return with restrictions.

I went back after eighteen days' date=' no restrictions. I work in a bank and believe it or not there is lifting involved. Coin orders can be pretty heavy and my cash drawer can be heavy with rolled coin too. I order supplies and also have to put them away (including boxes of paper stock). I ask for help with the occasional heavy stuff. My doctor said if I had a job with heavy lifting, he would advise being out longer or a return with restrictions.[/quote']

Also, no one needs to know what type of surgery you had. There are privacy laws that protect you. All they need to know is that you had major abdominal surgery.

If I show up with a doc note then I can't come back to work until my weight restrictions are over.

I'm thinking maybe I can go back and ask for help lifting heavy stuff..the 40-60 lbs of animal feed. But that might get me in trouble.

You don't need to tell any specifics. You can say you had a hernia repaired and cannot lift anything heavy or it could pop back out, but then it would be work comp. Casheirs can do some lifting, but I don't see why they could not have you work around it... or move you to a floor rep spot for a short few weeks.

The problem here is that they aren't required to grant you light duty...they might be nice and do it, but, as you said above they may just say that as long as you are unable to perform all aspects if your job you have to stay off work. The flip side, if you go back not telling them you're not supposed to be lifting and hurt yourself A-you've hurt yourself and some of the things that can happen could be serious, B-you'd likely be in trouble at work for not disclosing that you were supposed to have restrictions. My employer requires a release from your physician after any procedure/surgery stating that you can perform the functions of your job safely...no release, no return to work.

Good luck, but keep yourself safe!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 210