Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RE: Terrified of Lap band or other surgeries

Guest heather

Guest heather

I just want to thank all the wonderful people who replied to my post yesterday. I get so much anxiety about surgical procedures.

I am so afraid that (God forbid), I die. I read that it has been known to happen. I feel so selfish when I think of the dangers. "What if that happens, I will be leaving my daughter without a mom, for selfish reasons."

I am not sure if what I am feeling right now is "normal", but I am going to do some more research, talk to more people, and maybe even go to several different doctors to get their opinion in Lap Band.

I will continue to read the posts here, and write often. I think that this is going to be a way to get things off my chest, and a source of relaxation for me, since no one here understands my reasons for wanting Lap Band in the first place. My whole family says that I am "FINE THE WAY I AM". I want to scream when they say that. What do they mean I am fine the way that I am? I am overweight. I have to shop in plus size stores. I don't feel accepted at social functions (when my husband drags me to one). I am not as outgoing as I used to be or as I want to be. That is not being fine the way I am.

I know that all of you understand me, and know that you are or have been going through the same things as me. Most of my problem is that all these other diets and diet pills have failed me, and maybe I am looking for this to fail me as well. I don't want pain, but if I have some, then fine. If thats the price I have to pay to be at a healthier weight, SO BE IT!!!

Thank all of you again for your support...... until next time. Goodbye:)

Hey before you go just think about this for a moment...you say "you don't want pain" the pain from this surgery is nothing compared to the pain you will experience when your knees go out from being to heavy or from the low back pain you will experience from being obese, or the pain you could expereince if you were to have a heart attack from too much weight and strain on your heart. That is how I looked at it and 4 months later I would do it all over again in a second. Trust me , the pain from this is so minor that all my doctor uses for pain meds agfter the surgery is a liquid tylenol, no narcotic pain med.Good luck to you with your research and your decision

Heather, best of luck to you on your search! The main thing to remember is that you're doing this for YOU! I do feel so much better emotionally and physically than I have in YEARS! I've cut my prescription RXs in half. I let being overweight keep me trapped in my house for years. My kids didn't stop growing up and wait on me. I've missed out on a lot of life. I can't go back and change that. But I can go forward, live healthier, and get out there and be part of what's going on. I wish you good health and happiness in whatever you do.:)

I applaud your doing the research. I read this board and others for at least a year before actually deciding to get the band. As far as talking to doctors, though, you should know that unless they are lapband surgeons, they may not understand the band very well. It has only been approved in the U.S. for a few years and the first study that was done on lapband in the U.S. was not very impressive. Many of us believe that was because the bands were being placed by inexperienced surgeons and because they expected the same rate of weight loss for the band as for bypass. Many physicians formed their opinion about lapband from that original study and have never bothered to look at newer research. But again, read everything you can about all the surgeries before you decide.

Nancy

I am so afraid that (God forbid), I die. I read that it has been known to happen.
I think that is more related to the drastic bypass than to the Lap Band Surgery. That said, anytime you go under anesthesia you run that risk with any surgery. If you refer to the actual surgery then I have heard more risks and deaths from the bypass than the lap band.
My whole family says that I am "FINE THE WAY I AM". I want to scream when they say that.
You are correct they don't understand because they aren't in your shoes. They are saying that because they love you and are concerned about you doing surgery and probably aren't really clear on which surgery you are having. Most people when you mention any WLS automatically think of the Gastric Bypass. I know I have had to explain it several times that I did not have that surgery but had the banding. Be patient with your family. They don't understand and don't expect them to cause they can't. Only someone that has been in or is in your shoes can relate. I can relate cause I have been there.

We are here for you.