Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions on hospital stay

Great info, thanks warrior. My surgery is not until July 26th so I have a ways but I just got the date this week so that is why my mind stuck on what's going to happen. I go in on July 2nd to find out more about what is going to happen, but I was too curious to wait.

pittguy.

only advise i can give you for sure is start know! read all the litature you can you tube videos provide lots of good info. start your vitiman, Fluid, exercise and Portion Control now!!!

that way you will already be in the groove on the date of surgery.

dont let the liquid phase freak you out. after the 3rd or fourth day it geys easier. just do ecavtly what they tell you to do and the results will come.

RJ

Pittguy' date='

here is a breakdown of my stay in the hospital. With the exception of being fat im in overall good health. each persons stay will vary.

1. was in 3 days

2. private room ( standard practice for my surgeon)

3. tests-only had the leak test. and blood drawn once.

4. they check vitals ever 4 hours or so. the try to time it just before you nod off then only wake you once.

5. after the first two walks they left me alone. i was walking the halls on my own since i wanted out and i was somewhat hyper

6. nurse who gave all of my belly shots was skilled never felt them.

7. staff would pop their heads in every hour just to ask if i needed anything. besides that the gave me my privacy. to read watch tv etc.

8. not sure of the sleep over policy

9. very good with pain management. always responded within a minute or so.

10. Support...The Bryn Mawr Bariactric center was like have your own cheering section ...everyone in that center addressed me by my first name and encouraged me through every step.

11. they answered every question completly.

12. gave me a special pillow to use to bear down and support my mid section when getting up and down or rolling over.

13. meal trays were always on time!

if you have ANY questions please ask i would be glad to tell you what ever i can about my experience. Hope this helps . im sure you will be fine.. What is your date?

RJ[/quote']

Whats the belly shots for

Mzshay35 RNYTalk

The shots are to prevent blood clots I believe.

I would check with your surgeon and hospital. Procedures and policies vary so widely among surgeons and facilities!

The shots are to prevent blood clots I believe.

Thanks

Mzshay35 RNYTalk

I would check with your surgeon and hospital. Procedures and policies vary so widely among surgeons and facilities!

I have an appointment in early July to get all the info from my doc but wanted to see what people have experienced

I have an appointment in early July to get all the info from my doc but wanted to see what people have experienced

Never hurts! No one truly knows what it's like unless you've been through it....even the surgeon and staff.....they think they know, but they don't know like we do! Keep on reading and asking questions, I'm excited for ya!!!!!

pittguy,

deaddemmamma is 100% correct, while this forum offer advice and personal experiences of an individuals treatment. ALWAYS follow your doctors instructions!!

i was able to get some great advice from people on RNY TALK and it helped when i met with the surgeon to understand what i could expect, but he is the alpha and the Omega when it came down to what i am actually going to do.

make sure you write down you list of questions so you are prepaired when you meet with your surgeon . he or she will be glad to answer all of your questios and or concerns fully.

good luck

RJ

pittguy' date='

deaddemmamma is 100% correct, while this forum offer advice and personal experiences of an individuals treatment. ALWAYS follow your doctors instructions!!

i was able to get some great advice from people on RNY TALK and it helped when i met with the surgeon to understand what i could expect, but he is the alpha and the Omega when it came down to what i am actually going to do.

make sure you write down you list of questions so you are prepaired when you meet with your surgeon . he or she will be glad to answer all of your questios and or concerns fully.

good luck

RJ[/quote']

Well said and so true. Everything I read here gives a better understanding of things but ultimately you need to follow YOUR team's instructions. They know every medical detail about you and they know what is best for you. They are the professionals, we have personal experience but each one of us and our experiences are uniquely different.

I completely understand that I need to follow my teams plan and I meet with them at the beginning of July to get all the detail. My insurance assigned my a nurse advocate to help me along also and she has helped me get my question list ready for my office team at each step. I started this thread to kind of get an idea of what may happen.

I know my story will be unique and my surgeon will be the co-author of what is going to happen but i have enjoyed reading everyone story and with each one i grow less anxious about July 26th.

I completely understand that I need to follow my teams plan and I meet with them at the beginning of July to get all the detail. My insurance assigned my a nurse advocate to help me along also and she has helped me get my question list ready for my office team at each step. I started this thread to kind of get an idea of what may happen.

I know my story will be unique and my surgeon will be the co-author of what is going to happen but i have enjoyed reading everyone story and with each one i grow less anxious about July 26th.

I enjoy reading also. Very informative and helps you to see things from different perspectives and raise questions you may not have thought of. :-)

There really is a WIDE VARIATION!

I had no belly shots.

I had a private room.

I didn't have a leak test.

They some me up often for weight/vitals/meds.

No catheter.

My liquid pre op diet was two days.

There were no meal trays.

Good luck!!

There really is a WIDE VARIATION!

I had no belly shots.

I had a private room.

I didn't have a leak test.

They some me up often for weight/vitals/meds.

No catheter.

My liquid pre op diet was two days.

There were no meal trays.

Good luck!!

The 'meal tray' was an experience. It had a 1/2 cup of juice, a bowl of broth, and SF Jello. I was to take 2 one ounce cups and pick 2 ounces of what I wanted for that meal and 'eat' em....the rest went back to the kitchen. This was fine until they stopped my IV Wednesday morning and I ended up staying until Thursday night....by then I was drinking Water fine, peeing like a champ, but 2 ounces of apple juice, 3 times a day as my only source of calories did NOT work. (15 calories an ounce for a total of 90 calories a day) by the end of Wednesday afternoon I was light headed with a terrible headache and woozie and thought I was going to pass out when I was walking. I mentioned it to the RN and she said that was all i was allowed to have, so she gave me a sugar free Popsicle...which helped none. Mom smuggled me in apple juice and 2 ounces later headache magically gone and no longer felt like I was going to die....at least for a few hours. Told the doc the next morning at rounds and he was PISSED, I was supposed to be sipping juice all day since I was still Clear liquids and everything else had zero nutrients....but he never clarified it with the nurse so when I mentioned it later thursday morning she checked orders and said there was no order so no...they eventually called the surgeon, who was in Surgery all day and unreachable. We thought I'd be leaving that morning so really didn't push it, until the day progressed and I started feeling crappy again so mom smuggled in another bottle of apple juice....he did clarified the order at 6:00 pm, I finally got to leave at 7:00 pm. I guess the issue was that I had to stay an extra day and a half, they usually pull the IV right before you leave (it has dextrose which is sugar so you've got a slow steady drip going 24/7) but I was up and moving around and drinking fine so the took it out on schedule but then I couldn't pass gas so I to the extended stay and someone want familiar with the extended stay policy?

All that said, I had no other complaints and had the utmost respect or the entire nursing staff, I'll never know how the do what the do!!! Also, I not a crazy rebel and I typically follow Dr. orders to a T. But I knew what my post-op diet was supposed to be, I had the packet with me and I was supposed to be sipping diluted fruit juice all day, so I did, eventually. Also I'm for sure not saying eat/drink whatever you want and be merry, I'm Saying sometimes things are missed or done incorrectly. (I'm sure someone's gonna yell at me for this now!)

I think you're going to be amazed at how well it all goes, just sip and walk and remember drugs are your friends!!! I took almost nothing once I left the hospital but the first 48 hours that morphine pump and I were BFFs! The pain was ever ridiculously horrible but the meds made getting up and down and around almost painless.

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 212

Yeah...didn't think much of em until late on day 2 when they stopped my morphine pump them suddenly they burned like heck! Apparently drugs are good!!!!

I enjoyed that Baker required the private room and gave me that morphine pump. THOSE SHOTS BURNED like the dickens! I had bruises all over my belly from them!