Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions on hospital stay

I know each experience is different but now that I have a date it is becoming more real. What was everyones hospital stay like. Are they poking and prodding you at all hours? Do hospitals normally have WiFi?

I know I will be doing lots of walking but outside of that is it just sitting around resting while waiting for a burp or fart. What are the leg compression sleeves like? Are the uncomfortable or not too bad?

Do your spouces or family members stay overnight or did they go home.

Right now my biggest concerns are the catheter, drain tube and getting stuck with a roomate who wants to talk.

They told me I was a low maintenance patient because I didn't have any problems or need anything so they pretty much left me alone except to do vitals every few hours or bring me meds/meals/etc....pretty sure they forgot I was there at times :) leg compression garments are not painful at all, feel a little weird and do get warm if you're all bundled up so I kept my socks on and my legs uncovered when I had them on. I'm am extremely light sleeper and the leg garments didn't wake me up. My hospital has wifi....basically I walked and dozed. I'm not a TV watcher so I played on my iPad and texted the entire universe out of boredom. My doc requires a 2 night stay of his RNY patients AND I wasn't passing gas or anything else so they made me stay a third night (I TOLD him to let me go home and i would pass gas the next day but nooooooo had to stay...and passed gas the next day just like I told him!). It really was uneventful and boring! (You're allowed to have 1 person stay overnight if you want...I'm single and by the end of the day needed a break from mom's mothering so happily sent her home at night!)

Good luck, you'll do great!!!

Oh AND my doc requires his RNY patients to have a private room!!! But, because the doc is requiring it, there is no additional charge to the patient. SCORE!!!!!!

I had my own room as well. They did wake me up a lot but I only stayed one night so I got plenty of sleep when I got home. My mom stayed with me overnight. The leg compression pumps didn't bother me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I had my own room as well. They did wake me up a lot but I only stayed one night so I got plenty of sleep when I got home. My mom stayed with me overnight. The leg compression pumps didn't bother me at all.

I liked the leg compression things... felt like a massage! :-)

Did you guys get the shots in the belly for clotting? I heard those sting pretty good. Do they happen often?

Did you guys get the shots in the belly for clotting? I heard those sting pretty good. Do they happen often?

Yeah...didn't think much of em until late on day 2 when they stopped my morphine pump them suddenly they burned like heck! Apparently drugs are good!!!!

I got one before surgery and one before I went home. The needle is so small you can barely feel the shot. It does burn afterwards as the medicine spreads but that's the worst of it.

I know each experience is different but now that I have a date it is becoming more real. What was everyones hospital stay like. Are they poking and prodding you at all hours? Do hospitals normally have WiFi?

I know I will be doing lots of walking but outside of that is it just sitting around resting while waiting for a burp or fart. What are the leg compression sleeves like? Are the uncomfortable or not too bad?

Do your spouces or family members stay overnight or did they go home.

Right now my biggest concerns are the catheter' date=' drain tube and getting stuck with a roomate who wants to talk.[/quote']

I didn't have a private room, I shared with a drama-mama (a LOT of theatrical moans, groans, and cries of "What have I done to myself?". She was the only downside but she mostly acted that way in front of her husband. She was fine when he was gone, poor guy! :-)

I did get a surprising amount of rest thanks to pain meds. I had Wi-Fi. Minimal poking and prodding. I did a lot of walking but also resting and reading (brought a good book). Leg compression things felt great - like getting a massage. Call me weird but I wish I had some at home! My husband couldn't stay but I was only there one night. I had no catheter or drain tube. And my nurses were awesome - efficient, fast, friendly and funny.

Bring your own pillow - the best piece of advice I got from here! It's better than hospital pillows and it doubles as stomach protection on the ride home. Also a robe is a must. The johnnies are okay while there but you NEED a robe so you don't flash perfect strangers when you walk the halls.

I got one before surgery and one before I went home. The needle is so small you can barely feel the shot. It does burn afterwards as the medicine spreads but that's the worst of it.

I had two shots. Not bad, tiny needles.

I may skip the robe and take a couple walks with the back open... if I go to tie my shoes just once while walking and I bet those nurses won't be so eager to make me walk again for a while.

I had a great experience at my hospital, I had my own room as well, my only problem was even tho I had surgery in January, it was soooo HOT ,my nurses were great & found a fan for me . ( my room became the favorite on the floor with the nurses). My hospital has 24 he visitation, so family could come & go whenever. As far as the catheter it hurts coming out weather you are male or female. And Terry1118 gave great advice, bring your pillow from home , I know I did & kit made a big difference. Hope this eases your mind,& good luck. I've lost 100lbs & I can't explain. how different I feel, not just lighter & being able to fit in places,but. I feel like my old self is coming back, I'm starting to care about myself again. My Aunt said it's so good to see the old Mary back,& it brought me to tears because, I didn't think anyone noticed. Feel free to contact me, if you need to talk. Peace, Mary

I know each experience is different but now that I have a date it is becoming more real. What was everyones hospital stay like. Are they poking and prodding you at all hours? Not at all hours but about every 4/6 hours giving me a shot so I don't get a blood clot.

Do hospitals normally have WiFi? They didn't have free wifi.

I know I will be doing lots of walking but outside of that is it just sitting around resting while waiting for a burp or fart. What are the leg compression sleeves like? I didn't have those.

Are the uncomfortable or not too bad?

Do your spouces or family members stay overnight or did they go home. My hubby only came to pick me up on my discharge day. My daughter visit me the day before I was discharge & cry. She miss me & wanted to make sure I look fine not only sound fine over the phone.

Right now my biggest concerns are the catheter' date=' drain tube and getting stuck with a roomate who wants to talk.[/quote']

I didn't have a private room' date=' I shared with a drama-mama (a LOT of theatrical moans, groans, and cries of "What have I done to myself?". She was the only downside but she mostly acted that way in front of her husband. She was fine when he was gone, poor guy! :-)

I did get a surprising amount of rest thanks to pain meds. I had Wi-Fi. Minimal poking and prodding. I did a lot of walking but also resting and reading (brought a good book). Leg compression things felt great - like getting a massage. Call me weird but I wish I had some at home! My husband couldn't stay but I was only there one night. I had no catheter or drain tube. And my nurses were awesome - efficient, fast, friendly and funny.

Bring your own pillow - the best piece of advice I got from here! It's better than hospital pillows and it doubles as stomach protection on the ride home. Also a robe is a must. The johnnies are okay while there but you NEED a robe so you don't flash perfect strangers when you walk the halls.[/quote']

Bring a pillow you can wash....don't want hospital cooties at home!!! I swear the pillow, chap stick, and phone/charger were all I used from home!

And don't moon the nurses, they might hurt themselves laughing!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 212

Pittguy,

here is a breakdown of my stay in the hospital. With the exception of being fat im in overall good health. each persons stay will vary.

1. was in 3 days

2. private room ( standard practice for my surgeon)

3. tests-only had the leak test. and blood drawn once.

4. they check vitals ever 4 hours or so. the try to time it just before you nod off then only wake you once.

5. after the first two walks they left me alone. i was walking the halls on my own since i wanted out and i was somewhat hyper

6. nurse who gave all of my belly shots was skilled never felt them.

7. staff would pop their heads in every hour just to ask if i needed anything. besides that the gave me my privacy. to read watch tv etc.

8. not sure of the sleep over policy

9. very good with pain management. always responded within a minute or so.

10. Support...The Bryn Mawr Bariactric center was like have your own cheering section ...everyone in that center addressed me by my first name and encouraged me through every step.

11. they answered every question completly.

12. gave me a special pillow to use to bear down and support my mid section when getting up and down or rolling over.

13. meal trays were always on time!

if you have ANY questions please ask i would be glad to tell you what ever i can about my experience. Hope this helps . im sure you will be fine.. What is your date?

RJ