Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can You offer advice

Hello- well I was banded in May of 06- I have been back to the doc- 2 times since then- one fill- I am going back in 2days and I am nervous, because I just haven't lost that much weight. I know I must be doing something wrong- but am in desperate need of support. Can you give me tips? I think that my biggest issue is drinking when I am eating. Any advise is greatly appreciated.:think-- Joeboo

in St. Louis

Dr Van Wagner

In my opinion, what you likely need is just closer monitoring, and another fill---one is seldom enough! Yes drinking while eating can thwart progress, but I think you just need to work a little with the Dr. at acheiving restriction. Don't worry, once you begin the fill process in earnest, and see the Dr. regularly, you will find your sweet spot, and it will make losing the weight much easier. You have not failed, you just aren't using the band the way it is intended.

In another post, I read a comparison of the band to a new car.....you bought the car, and now it is time to put gas in it and drive!!!

Hang in there, it will work out!!!

Kat

Thank You so much for the kind words!!- I am pretty much feeling like a failure with the whole process- the surgery was smooth and easy- I just need to get back on track again-

I'm sure you will feel much better after discussing with your Dr. and getting on a regular appointment schedule for awhile, until you get your fill level to a proper amount. My Dr. wants me to be able to eat hard Protein, and high Fiber foods, without issue (PB). He feels like a dozen bites or so should be enough, but I eat more than that now and am happy with it. Then after eating it, he wants me to remain full for 3-5 hours after eating. If I can eat more, or do not stay full for long after he feels it is time for another fill.

Now, I eat more than he recommends, but I do remain full---so I have opted not to have another fill, I would prefer to go a little slower, and not worry about the effects of being over filled.

After my first fill, nothing much changed, I could eat pretty normally---but the 2nd fill which was just a small amount, made a huge difference in how I felt when I eat!!! I had restriction, and have been satisfied with it ever since...that was back in July. I have however read on some signatures where 6-7 or 8 fills were required! But most I see reach a good restriction between 2 and 4 fills. Seldom with one---so go easy on yourself!!

BTW---welcome to LBT---we will be here to support you---no sense in shouldering all these new feelings alone--we are all going through the same things!!

Kat

Thanks for welcoming me- it took me awhile to find a website/forum to ask for help- I am glad that I found this one- I am also glad to hear that you could eat normally after one fill- because honestly I can almost eat the same- and I thought that maybe I stretched something out or broke something- I know sounds silly but you never know. I will definatley keep in touch on this forum- you just do not know how much better I feel right now- I feel like a million bucks- You gave me some confidence back- THANK YOU!!

Glad you feel better! Hang out---you will soon see you are not alone by any means!

Let me know whta your Dr. says! Feel free to contact me anytime you find yourself in need of support---been there, and I know how easy it is to panic!!

Kat

Joeboo,

I can't speak from experience because I haven't been banded yet, (should be in March) but I can tell you from working with Dr. Wagner so far that it is obvious that he knows his stuff. Also, it seems he is much more thorough than some of the surgeons that I've read experiences about since I've been visiting LBT. One of the things that he has stressed is that if you drink with food, you can defeat the band. I know this will be a major challenge for me, too, after I'm banded, since I'm accustomed to washing down every mean with at least 12-16 oz. of Water, tea, Diet Coke, beer, etc. And I know that washing my meal "down the drain" lets me eat way larger portions than I need to be eating. But I know I HAVE to stop drinking with meals after the surgery if I want to be successful.

Don't forget that Dr. Wagner has done over 400 bands so he has seen all different rates of progress. He wants you to succeed, so look at him as your teammate. Good luck and let us know how it goes after your appointment.

I use to walk around with a 56 oz mug of Water and drank at least two of those per day. But the rule of thumb I was taught was nothing 1/2 hr before or 1 hour after eating. It seems to be working and I stay full. The problem now is then remembering to drink the right amount of water when I can. I never thought that would be a problem for a wateraholic like me, but I'm learning. Remember it's a tool and it works best when we work with it! Just keep fighting the fight and it'll work for you too!!

You will be nervous so there's no point saying dont be. But you havent done so badly, dont forget you're being treated for a lifelone disease, and you just havent tweaked the treatment quite right yet.

Many many many people go in having not lost, having even gained, its a matter of getting the fill right, not reading you the riot act. And if you dont take the step and go back, then you really might go off the rails. You need more fill probably - I've had I think five over a year and I still havent gotten to a level of restriction I'd call good.

I just want to thank you for the words of wisdom and support- I have got my mind and heart set now to focus on myself- to start loosing weight and to be happy.