Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your favourite canadian hockey....

Actually I mean favourite Canadian Clinic... I am looking to make a decision between TLBC and The Surgecial Weight Loss / Cobourn clinic.

Any one thing that sent someone from one to the other... I am not looking to badmouth but rather give a good reason for one over the other.

Thanks for any assistance...

Oiler fan living in Calgary

Oh boy... this is a bad question to ask, but ok!

I would say Dr. Cobourn or Mumford (surgical weightloss center), because you're in Calgary, and Dr. Cobourn semi-trained the LapBand Dr's there, as well as those who would be doing your fills (if you chose to have them done in Calgary). Maybe you'd get a discount on fills!

(then on the other hand, I'll say for the TLBC's side, they have way more experience/have been doing it longer. I'd say they have a nicer, more proper looking clinic... but I don't know, today's supposed to be the day SWLC move's into their new place! )

hehe.. no, you wouldn't.. really.

Now whether you think once you do 300, you're just as good as someone who's done 2000 (not actual numbers, I don't know how many each place has done) is up to you.

I chose Dr. Cobourn because I'd heard just as good about him as the TLBC, but his office treated me nicer (or, uhh.. nice at all) than the TLBC did.

Yeah I know not a great question to ask...but unlike buying a new truck hard to compare when in Ontario.

I appreciate your honesty... the fact that SWLC has nurses/doc's here in Calgary and Halifax where I am most make a difference.

Thanks for the warning on their move... as I had sent in an email and now know if it takes awhile for them to respond.

Thanks Again

SMU Alumni

Canadian MacDaddy

Ahh... yes. They're typically reeeeally quick to answer.

Just a note, the lady isn't IN Halifax. She's in Pictou, which is apparently 1hr45 away. So, unless you've got a way to get around while in Halifax to go see her, you'd have to hope she'd come to you there. (but then again, your perm. residence isn't Halifax, right? You're just thinking it would be nice to have someone around INCASE you needed a defill while in Halifax (or a fill, I guess, if you couldn't wait.)

Keep in mind, I know the Calgary Dr's don't do ONLY Cobourn patients, but the NS lady might. (so, just because you go with someone else, you should still have access to a fill Dr in Calgary.)

AND... if it's up your alley, the TLBC has instructional DVD's for long distance patients to give to their family dr's, if the fam. doctor is so inclined to help you out by trying to do your fills. (but don't do that! Just an option! :|)

Hi: I am fron N.Vanc. I researched the TLBC on the various news websites and I believe the two doctors there introduced the procedure into Canada. Can't remark on the other clinics but I was banded Feb 01/07 of this year and have found the support from the clinic excellent and the DVD excellent. My family GP is willing to do my fills. There are hotels close by and the clinic is in an excellent part of the city close to the University. I felt very safe while in Toronto. Hope this helps a bit. Doreen

Thanks Doddie63 & Argon... this helps. I am from Halifax and go back to work 1-3 yr at a time when I can convince my Albertan wife/finance minister.

I am going ahead with consultations at both clinics here in the next week or so. It would be good to get a surgery date prior to baseball starting as God (non-denominational) know the Oilers are done.

Thanks Again

You never know...the Oilers could get on a streak and be right back in the thick of it...:mad:

Good luck where ever you decide to go....I'm from Calgary too but I can't help you with you choice...I went to Mexico...:)

At least, from what I've read, everything comes together pretty quickly for people who go to Ontario so you shouldn't have months and months of waiting.

Oiler fan living in Calgary

Okay, I cant help you with this problem. There is not hope for you there (just kidding from a Flames fan living in Calgary)

On the clininc side. I was banded by Dr.Coburn in Missasauga last week, and so far I am very happy with my decision. Now I cant say anything yah or nay about the other clinic in Toronto because I did not look into that closely.

What led me to go with Dr.C was that he called out of the blue after I submitted an email request for information. I felt an immediate level of comfort with him and his staff, and was impressed with how accessible he was.

I was not sure whether I would use him until after the phone consult, but after that I booked a surgery.

I would not worry about them not getting back to you. They are moving the clinic this week, so that may be the reason for the delay in response.

I am not sure about fill Dr.s for the Toroto clinic in Calgary, but I know of at least 3 or 4 that will do Dr.C fills in Calgary, so you should have several options there.

Feel free to ask me anything about my experience with Dr.C and his clinic.

Andrew

One thing to consider: Dr. C's clinic gives free fills/de-fills for only five years (after which they charge a fee) whereas at the TLBC they provide free fills/de-fills for life.

Also, Dr. C's clinic uses Optifast (I don't know if that is an extra charge or if that is included in the total fee...others can respond to that) for their pre-op diet (to get rid of the fat in the liver) but TLBC does not rely on Optifast....it is a different "food" diet depending on your individual circumstances (ie. cottage/cheese yogurt diet and chicken)....personally I find that more appealing than doing Optifast (& I do have the experience to comment on that because I went thru the entire optifast program a few years ago).

Just more info to consider is all. As was said above, you wouldn't buy the first car you look at....something this serious I would recommend checking into 2 or 3 places and then making the best decision based on your own personal perspectives/circumstances.

I have nothing but amazing things to say about TLBC in all aspect; both pre and post op.....but I have also heard only good things about Dr. C.

Boston Bruins or the Surgical Weight Loss Clinic... Can't make up my mind. Oh so the Boston Bruins are not Canadian? I guess the later is my answer. My understanding from the clinic that the fills are for life and if there were complications that required the band to be removed the clinic would adsorb the cost.