Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie- Was anyone else deathly afraid of Surgery?

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and in the final consideration phases for the surgery. I am a self pay with no health issues but I have struggled with my weight my entire life.

I have been through the consultation & comfortable that the band will be a good option for me. However, I am terrified of surgery. I also have a ten month old and I feel guilty for wanting to do an elective surgery. I know that stats on the surgery are great and the Doctor I am considering even has a 0% mortality rate & over 2500 surgeries. However, I still have that terrible fear of leaving my daughter in the back of my head. Did anyone else go through this mental block? Any advice?:help:

I too had the EXACT same feelings. I just had my surgery on the 15th and was a nervous wreck about going under and waking up. I felt so guilty doing this knowing that there was that slim chance and that my 3 young children would be left without their mommy. I had even gone under for gall bladder surgery and wisdom teeth extraction and did just fine, but didn't have children at that time, so didn't have these feelings.

I too have no other health problems besides being overweight. But if you look on the positive side, if we get this under control now, we will live longer, happier lives with our children. Look to the future and realize how much more fun you will have swimming, biking, and playing chase with your little one if you are smaller. That is how I had to look at it. You will do just fine. Sounds like you have a great surgeon. Very good statistics!!! Keep us posted.

pre op anxiety of some degree is normal, education and asking questions about what your fears relate too can be effectve in dealing with it- for me the fear was about the fear of the unknown, and the short term loss of control during surgery- once i recognized it I could discuss it with my Doctor, research etc and put it in perspective

you have to do what seems right for you but my thoughts are don't tough it out and force yourself to do something that you are deathly afraid of, but don't run from it either- you need to work out exactly what aspects scare you so much so that you can attmpet to put them in perspective

You are not alone! I have 2 precious daughters and a wonderful husband and I was a basket case before the surgery. I just recently found the letter I wrote to my girls in case I died on the table.

Thankfully, the risks of this surgery are low (and the risks of obesity are high). I'm glad I pushed through my fear.

Thanks for your posts everyone, they really help a lot. It's really good to hear from other moms out there. The key reason I want to do this is to be an active and energetic mom for my family. I know my fears are irrational. In fact, after thinking a lot about it last night I realized I go through the same fear and anzietey every time I board a plane to travel for my job. It's so crazy but before kids I was fearless! Being a mom has changed all of that. :-)

Well, after a lot of thought I have decided to get the ball rolling and get the band. I am sure I will have a lot of anzietey until then but once its done I know my focus will change to changing my life which is the exciting stuff.

Thanks for all the encouragement! Much appreciated.

Even though you have no other health issues NOW, believe me, you can't carry a large amount of excess weight indefinitely without consequences, which will shorten your life if you don't do anything about it. What you're doing in getting banded isn't selfish. Far from it, it's one of the best things you can do for your family long-term. That's why I'm going to have it done (hopefully in March.

Good luck!

I havent started the process yet, mainly for the same reasons. The other evening my 7 year old daughter overheard my husband and I talking about the surgery and she had a fit and started crying. I felt terrible and guilty, this is one reason that I have not called my doctor. Has anyone heard a statistic about anyone not surviving the surgery or complecations from the surgery?

I have had the same fears. I even made an extra life insurance just in case I died. The surgery went extremelly well and I am happy I was brave to do it. If I can do it ( with all my anxieties) anyone can do it.

We can die on traffic, everything envolves risks....

Anesthesia drugs are safe nowadays and mortality risks are minimum, especially with laparoscopic procedures.

Follow your dreams !!!!!!!!

LapbanderNC: When did you have your surgery? Can you give me some details about you experience? I plan on making my first appointment tomorrow and don't know how long the process takes to get a surgery date. I know it depends on the state and Dr. How did you feel afterward?

Jenea

I Had Lap Band Done Feb 5,i Was Terrified Especially When They Wheeled Me Into The Operating Room -all I Could Think Was About My Daughter Who Is 17 Months-next Thing I Knew They Were Waking Me Up...the First Thing I Said Was Am I Alive?-the Operation Was Really Not So Bad As Long As Your Going To A Good Doctor That Has Done Many Of These Operations-and Mentally More Than Anything You Are Prepared You Will Be Fine ...the Nerves Are Normal