Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

calling all big losers...how many calories?

I am wondering if I am not getting enough calories. I have heard that starvation mode isn't real....and its all calories in vs calories out but if that were true my calorie deficit would mean a higher weight loss.

So, I am wondering what calorie goal those that are losing consistently are using? I thought I could be one of those that lost the majority of the weight in 6 - 7 months but now I'm afraid I won't lose it at all.

Seriously, I'm noy trying to br dramatic but it doesn't seem to be working.

My Protein goal is 60-80. 500-600 calories and 64oz Water and I am meeting that every day.

I am wondering if I am not getting enough calories. I have heard that starvation mode isn't real....and its all calories in vs calories out but if that were true my calorie deficit would mean a higher weight loss.

So, I am wondering what calorie goal those that are losing consistently are using? I thought I could be one of those that lost the majority of the weight in 6 - 7 months but now I'm afraid I won't lose it at all.

My Protein goal is 60-80. 500-600 calories and 64oz Water and I am meeting that every day.

Starvation mode is quite real. It goes back to the caveman who had to hunt for food. When there calorie intake was low the metabolism slowed totally down to save the fat to give that energy to stay alive because it thought the body was in starvation mode. So they wouldn't lose weight. Unfortunately, this gene is in us all, and when our metabolism slows down we have to boost it. For awhile you lose weight on little calorie intake, but when you stall with the weight loss then you have to increase the calorie intake to wake the metabolism back up to start burning off the calories again so it doesn't think you are trying to starve youself to death. I have been told this by two different clinics, three different doctors plus a NP. I was consuming apx 600 calories and quit losing, increased it and have steadily lost about 2-3 lbs a wk this last month alone. Once that stablizes then I will decrease my calories again.

So' date=' I am wondering what calorie goal those that are losing consistently are using? I thought I could be one of those that lost the majority of the weight in 6 - 7 months but now I'm afraid I won't lose it at all.

My Protein goal is 60-80. 500-600 calories and 64oz Water and I am meeting that every day.[/quote']

Well my doc does not have us count calories. He says eat lean and clean. He says that each gram of Protein is 4 calories. So if you are eating 80 grams of protein you are consuming 320 calories just in protein. That is over half your calorie intake for the day. His statement of eating lean and clean is if you are hitting your protein goals and not eating junk food you should be fine. My protein goal is 125 because I am trying to gain muscle. You do need calories to promote weight loss. Your body can not function with 500 calories a day long term. Also remember we are malabsorption. My doc explained that as if I eat 100 calories I may only absorb 80. You must feed the body so that it can run and function.

If you have hit a stall you are more than likely losing inches during this time. Increase protein intake and increase work outs to help break the stall. Also talk with your doctor. One thing you will notice is every doctor is different, and their guidelines and restrictions are different.

I just saw on another post how many weeks out you are. At 7 weeks post op you body is still throwing a temper tantrum. I am guessing from your username that you have 4 kids. So think back to the terrible twos - kiddos get mad when they don't get what they want. Your body is the same way. 8 weeks ago you gave into your body and let it have what it wanted. Now you can't and it says fine I will hold onto everything you eat and drink.

Just give it time to heal and calm down and the weight will come off. Remember this is a marathon not a sprint.

I also try to remind people to look at other indicators that you are losing weight. Try not to get so wrapped up in the scale and lbs lost. Pre surgery I did not like getting on the scale. I measured my weight by how much of my feet I could see in the shower. When my feet disappeared I took action and had the surgery. When my scale and I are having an argument now I go back to looking at my feet. I can proudly say now I can see at least half of my feet. It helps me see the changes and reminds me that lbs are just a number!

Thanks music. Its really difficult right now. I dont eat junk...at all. I have not had even one bite of bread, rice, Pasta, potato or any kind if sweet. I try staying off the scale and measuring inches....but those numbers haven't changed either.

To make it worse...yesterday I felt hungry fit the first time. I don't know if it was because I was upset? But I seriously felt like eating a cheeseburger. (Instead I had a boca sun dried Tomato veggie patty...with a slice if tomato. Was actually able to eat the entire thing which is more than I normally eat)

Seeing people that are at the same stage as I am that have lost twice as much just makes it worse.

One thing I hope you realize is the more weight someone has to lose, it tends to come off faster then someone who doesn't have a lot. Meaning I was at 319 when I started..I will lose faster then someone who was at 243 and had surgery on the same day. Doesn't mean you are doing something wrong that's just how it is. It's hard but comparing yourself to others is the worse thing you can do. Enjoy the weight you've lost and focus on where you want to be. It helps a lot of you don't stress so much about it. Stress slows down or stalls us. Keep your head high and just calm down. It will happen. :)

HW: 331 SW: 11/26/12 319lbs CW: 219 05/26/13 GW: 157

Cali, I feel u ! I am 2 1/2 months post op and see others who had surgery after me loosing more weight than me ; ( it does get frustrating but everyone is right! It WILL come off in time! I'm loosing slow too but I only had 80-90 lbs to loose total! I'm now down 41lbs which doesn't seem like a lot until you put in in perspective. If I've lost that, then I'm almost halfway there!!! Good Luck and don't beat yourself up about it, everyone is different !

So' date=' I am wondering what calorie goal those that are losing consistently are using? I thought I could be one of those that lost the majority of the weight in 6 - 7 months but now I'm afraid I won't lose it at all.

My Protein goal is 60-80. 500-600 calories and 64oz Water and I am meeting that every day.[/quote']

I try to get 900 in unless I run that day...the doctor wants me to try to get 1300, but that's a LOT...I try to be right at 1000...I am almost 8 months post op and down 105#.