Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does The Stomache Shrink??

I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me :)

Why after a fill, do we need another and another?

• Does the actual stomache shrink as we lose weight?

OR

• Do we stretch it as we eat more and more solid foods?

• Why not just one fill and thats that? I understand after the surgery, theres a lot of swelling and they would have to do a fill after all the swelling goes down. BUT why a fill and a fill and a fill? I don't understand how it works??

Can anyone shine any light on my question?

CHEERS to Happy Healthy Eating :)

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

When you get a fill you get a little bit at a time. One fill might do it to find the "sweet spot" for one person but another may need a totally different amount in their band for their own personal "sweet spot". It becomes a trial and error thing until you find that one perfect fill that gives you the perfect restriction to lose weight.

The first fill might get absorbed into the band. Then there are fills until you get to the right amount for you. Then you lose fat around the stomach so the band losens. There's also a big learning curve with the band and I suppose as you eat differently, you might need more or less restriction. Then if you get sick you might need it unfilled for awhile. It can be a bit of a moving target at times.

When you get a fill you get a little bit at a time. One fill might do it to find the "sweet spot" for one person but another may need a totally different amount in their band for their own personal "sweet spot". It becomes a trial and error thing until you find that one perfect fill that gives you the perfect restriction to lose weight.

Thankyou :( that makes some sense I suppose, with each person being so different. I've only had 1 fill so far. I have my next in 3 weeks. I was hoping to be less hungry than this :)

Cheers and Thanks for your reply :)

Also, my doctor said that filling a band to quickly leads to erosion.

Oh I hadn't heard that before, Thanks for your reply :)

The first fill might get absorbed into the band. Then there are fills until you get to the right amount for you. Then you lose fat around the stomach so the band losens. There's also a big learning curve with the band and I suppose as you eat differently, you might need more or less restriction. Then if you get sick you might need it unfilled for awhile. It can be a bit of a moving target at times.

Thanks Betsyjane :) I'm not so concerned about the fill, but more about how hungry I get at times. I was wondering why they take 4-5 fills to get it right and was thinking why don't they just give it a big injection and a good restriction. I guess I'm frustrated at having to wait another 3 weeks before my next fill and then hope and pray its a good restriction, otherwise it's another 6 weeks before I see a dr again. Just seems like a waste of time, when I could be losing good weight haha. I'm doing reasonably well with my weight loss, however I would like to be less hungry and it not have to be so hard and have to use so much will power to stop eating. I have the physcholigical eating all sorted, I'm hardly ever comfort eating now and I'm eating high Protein foods that keep me more satisfied longer, everything I eat is low fat, low carb and healthy plus. I guess I just wanted to be less hungry and lose it faster. After spending the money and going through the surgery, I was hoping for more :(

CHEERS & Thanks for your reply :)

This is how it was explained to me. The band is like a belt around the stomach. As we lose weight our regular belt needs to be tighter to keep our pants up. The same with the lapband, as you lose weight, the stomach shrinks and the band needs to be tighter to maintain restriction. ~Mandy

You've gotten several great answers already.

Why after a fill, do we need another and another? For a few reasons. For one, restriction is rarely reached in one fill, and the goal is not "fill" it's "restriction". Another reason is shrinking of the fat around the organs. There's also suspicion of osmosis, etc. over time.

Does the actual stomache shrink as we lose weight? OR Do we stretch it as we eat more and more solid foods? The actual stomach can shrink, which is really more link it returning to its normal size. Many obese people have "stretched" their stomachs with the large quanitities of food they have eaten. As wuanitites are decreased and the stomach is no longer being stretched, it's able to shrink back down. There's really not much connection between your two questions, no "or"... if you eat more and more, your stomach can expand to accomodate, but any connection to losing weight is indirect. The stomach can grow or shrink with weight staying constant.

Why not just one fill and thats that? I understand after the surgery, theres a lot of swelling and they would have to do a fill after all the swelling goes down. BUT why a fill and a fill and a fill? I don't understand how it works?? Because one fill is rarely enough to reach restriction. Many surgeons like to go slow. There's no "magic" number at which people reach restriction, so it's a constant tuning process -- too loose, too tight, a little too loose, now a little too tight...

Hope this helps.

Hi

The stomach does shrink as my doctor said, and each time you fill the band the openning becomes more narrower until it looks like a button-hole.

you can't get to the last stage with one time because first you've to experience it one by one "baby steps"

and I think a part of it is psychological, to learn you that it'll take time and effort and most important PATIENCE to lose weight

My best wishes

:)

wheetsin:

king rule:

piercedqt78:

Thankyou all so much for taking the time to reply to my questions. I have really great answers to my questions now, Thankyou all for enlightning me. It does make a lot more sense now.

I'm excited to have the band and excited to be losing weight. I guess I've just been feeling a little frustrated at it being so slow and the possibility of having to wait for a 2nd fill and possibly a 3rd to get to the "sweet spot"

Thankyou all again :mad:

CHEERS to Happy Healthy Eating :)

I had to add my 2 cents when you mentioned the "sweet spot". I agree with several of the good answers in this thread, but just to add, instead of needing 2, 3, or more fills to get to your "sweet spot", think of it as if each time you get a fill, you are RETURNING to your "sweet spot". As your body changes (shrinks actually) you need fills to keep getting you back to your sweet spot - the spot at which you eat X amount of food and feel satiated, but it's not enough food to keep your current weight, so as you continue to lose weight and your size changes, the fills just bring you back to the sweet spot again where you feel satiated but you continue to loose weight. Another way to look at it is like your one true "sweet spot" is years down the pike when you are at the point at which you eat, feel satisfied, and MAINTAIN your newly achieved healthy weight.

Good Luck!