Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost 30 lbs but didnt go down a size? Extra skin question

I'm starting to get a little nervous about extra skin. I had surgery 3 weeks ago. I lost 30lbs. The same outfit I wore to the hospital for surgery still feels the same. I lost weight 2 times before, and I fear since I was heavy my whole life, my extra skin is "thick" When I was 22, I lost 100lbs fast, doing Atkins. I went from a size 24 down to a 16. I was 280 lbs down to 180. All the extra skin I have a I think is thick, meaning even if I lose 100 lbs, I wont ever go below a size 16. Even last year when I still had my lapband, and was working out, I couldnt go past 230lbs, and a size 16. I was hoping at least with a 30 pound weight loss to see some type of results in my clothes. I know everyone has extra skin, and there isnt much other then surgery to solve the issue. I was just wondering how much extra skin someone can have? Is it possible to have a very low amount of fat, but still have a high BMI or still wear plus size clothing due to this extra weight. (for the record My highest weight was 360 lbs for 2 years prior to my lapband)

I'm starting to get a little nervous about extra skin. I had surgery 3 weeks ago. I lost 30lbs. The same outfit I wore to the hospital for surgery still feels the same. I lost weight 2 times before' date=' and I fear since I was heavy my whole life, my extra skin is "thick" When I was 22, I lost 100lbs fast, doing Atkins. I went from a size 24 down to a 16. I was 280 lbs down to 180. All the extra skin I have a I think is thick, meaning even if I lose 100 lbs, I wont ever go below a size 16. Even last year when I still had my lapband, and was working out, I couldnt go past 230lbs, and a size 16. I was hoping at least with a 30 pound weight loss to see some type of results in my clothes. I know everyone has extra skin, and there isnt much other then surgery to solve the issue. I was just wondering how much extra skin someone can have? Is it possible to have a very low amount of fat, but still have a high BMI or still wear plus size clothing due to this extra weight. (for the record My highest weight was 360 lbs for 2 years prior to my lapband)[/quote']

I too am about 3 weeks out and I have lost 30 lbs. I'm still wearing the same size, they are just a little more loose. I think we all just lose the weight differently. I've noticed that my belly button in higher than it used to be. I know that sounds weird. But, what I mean by that is I know I have lost belly fat. But I have a hanging belly and I think the fat is losing from "below" and my waist is still around the same. I can feel that I've lost weight though.

Do you feel smaller rather than just your pant size?

Surgery Date: May 2, 2013 - Amount Lost: 30lbs

Like most of you I have tried every diet imaginable. The smallest I ever got was a size 14. I was happy at that size. This surgery is different. I am a size 8 now and trying to eat enough now to maintain this weight. I am a big boned girl or thick and think I would look sickly any smaller. So, with RNY you will lose weight like you never thought. 30 lbs is probably making a bigger difference then you think. I know it took about 60 pounds for me and others to start really noticing. The smaller you get.. people and you will notice every 5 lbs.. lol

Get into the gym as soon as you can. It will help with the extra skin. You can fill the flab with muscle.

Same here! I still fit the same clothes but my legs and arms are smaller my face is different. The weight is coming off from all over so it will just take some time. Congrats to you ALL!

I do plan on going back the gym ASAP. 2 years ago I was in the gym, and lost at least 2 dress sizes by working out. I also want to join a ymca. OR some type of public pool in The RI area. I think a combo of swimming and cardio/weght lifting will help

Like most of you I have tried every diet imaginable. The smallest I ever got was a size 14. I was happy at that size. This surgery is different. I am a size 8 now and trying to eat enough now to maintain this weight. I am a big boned girl or thick and think I would look sickly any smaller. So' date=' with RNY you will lose weight like you never thought. 30 lbs is probably making a bigger difference then you think. I know it took about 60 pounds for me and others to start really noticing. The smaller you get.. people and you will notice every 5 lbs.. lol[/quote']

What weight were you when the 5lbs was being noticed? I am 191 now and can't wait to get there as I heard this somewhere else too

I do. This is the reason my plastic surgeon recommend I gain weight cuz I have extra skin and only enough fat to fill my boobs. In other words I don't have enough fat to transfer to my butt & places to curve me up. So come April I have 4 months to gain 10/20 pounds you won't notice since it will be sucked out.

Well you are more than welcome to some of my fat LOL

At 3 weeks post op you are still swollen and holding fluid!!! Give it time and you will see a difference! Same thing happened to me... Well not 30lbs.(only 20 lbs.) but in another month or so you will not be swollen and you WILL see a smaller person.

Give it time, i also thought i had too much skin , but as it turns out i went from a size 24 to a size 10.... I had surgery 10/3/12........ Only time will tell.....

What weight were you when the 5lbs was being noticed? I am 191 now and can't wait to get there as I heard this somewhere else too

kisser... around 170